Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

riding a bigger bike on your Ls

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by sebatron, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. I rode around on a GPX250 for about 6 months before I sold it because winter came and i kept getting colds... I never got around to getting my Ps, and put the idea on the backburner for a while
    now it seems i've got some newfound independance (read: newly single) and I wanna get a bike again.
    now, obviously i'm gonna get my Ps... but buying another 250 for what, 3-6 months? seems a little futile and a massive waste of cash. plus having to sell it at the end, etc etc...

    from what i've gathered the fine for riding a bigger bike is something like $250. and insurance won't touch you (for comp anyway)
    is there anything else i need to be aware of?
    i'm looking at something around a 600... but i don't want this to turn into a "you're an f'n idiot for wanting to do this" kind of thread, just hoping for some useful input

  2. The size restrictions are in place for a reason....

    I suggest if you don't want to spend a lump of cash on a 250 you are only keeping for a few months you just buy some trashheap that will only last that long... some old model anything ... pick it up for cheap and ride it for long enough to get your feet back then get your P's asap.

    I'm not going to support you in riding an overpowered bike. Sorry :)
  3. P's are 12 months restricted and its entirely up to you if you want to risk it.
    Only you know what your capable of.
    But if your gonna want to ride popular motorbike roads I rekon theres a fair chance you'll get done.
    I'd wait 12 months myself but if I didn't hav a bike it would be tempting.
  4. Even if you get your p's you'll still be restricted to a 250 for 12 months. Otherwise yeah the only real issue is the potential for fines and lack of insurance - also possible that if you get done for speeding etc. they're unlikely to go easy on you if you're also riding a larger bike.
  5. I reckon you go out and get a second hand 2 fiddy in reasonable nick.

    Ride it until you're off your restrictions, and then turn it around for the same as what you paid for it and get yourself a bigger bike.

    As long as you buy it at a good price, you should only lose a tiny bit - if anything on the turnaround, as 250 prices stay artificially inflated due to the requirements of L platers.
  6. Lots more ... hit a BMW or Commodore and your screwed for life while you repay it and their insurance company takes you to court.

    Be in an accident and you get no rehab from TAC, just emergency hospital/ambulance cover.

    May not sound like much now, but if it happens it will be very life impacting.
  7. ah i thought he was talking about 3-6 months though. Dont mind me, ill get another drink. :)
  8. I can't tell if "looking for useful input" means agree with me or actually say what you think.

    In my opinion you have no reason not to get another 250.

    Firstly if what you have said is true from what I understand (NSW laws at least) your L's are valid for 6 months, with a minimum of 3 needed to go for your P's.

    That means if I follow this right, that your L's would be expired now so you would have to get them all over again, so you are looking at least at 1 year (P's) and 3 months (L's) on restrictions, so longer then you say of the 3 - 6 months.

    Secondly its purely supply and demand with the 250's out there, and there is ALWAYS demand. Once you finish you're stint on the 250 it will be time to sell it again and I would be suprised if you lost more then $100 - $200 on it if you kept it in good condition. Financially I don't think there is a good reason behind it.

    Thirdly a 250 is still enough to go out and kill yourself on it, you can go plenty fast enough in the twisties for the level that you (and hey me as well) are most likely at. I can completely understand the temptation to go for a bigger bike, i can't wait as well, and if I had the choice I know what I would do.

    But risk my licence, fines, record, hassle of going through the L's again, starting from square one, whats the point?

    Is it really that importaint to have a bigger bike?

    P.s. Just so its classed as useful input "yeah go for it I think you should buy a bigger bike."
  9. hrm. 12 months? could've sworn it were 3 or 6, assuming you were fully licensed for car and so forth.
    i really shouldn't have procrastinated getting my Ps... that was about a year ago now :/
    i did the hard slog. rode through city and freeway every single day for about 90 minutes, for 6 months.
    no stacks, a few near misses which weren't my fault etc.
    if it's a year though, i'll go get my Ps and just wait til i can legally ride one.
    a year of riding something i legally can't would be utterly idiocy. 3 months would be doable though.
    and no - i've never been on the "bike roads". motorbike never got to being more than practical transportation for a cross city home->uni->work stint.
    which is exactly what i'll need it for this time next year. at the moment i'm doing a st. albans -> moorabbin 5 times a week trip though... and i'm driving a '73 mini. less said about the safety of that vehicle the better.
  10. i'm in vic - and i've already extended my bike Ls.
    by useful input i did mean say what you think, without attacking me directly :)

  11. correct me if im wrong but i thought if you were a fully licensed driver you just didnt have to display the P plates but still ride a 250 or lower, zero grog, and no pillion for 12 months? ? ?
  12. Spot on, although technically it's actually 260cc or lower.
  13. Type of Motor cycle Licence that is issued
    The type of motor cycle licence issued to you (Full or Probationary) will depend on the type of licence (if any) that you already hold.

    * if you do not already hold a car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence which is valid for three years.
    * if you already have a full car licence, you will be issued with a full motor cycle licence
    * if you already have a probationary car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence as well. The probationary period will end at the same time as your probationary car licence.

    Riding Your Motor cycle
    When you have your motor cycle licence issued, regardless if it is full or probationary, the following restrictions apply for 12 months. They are:

    * you cannot ride a motor cycle with an engine capacity exceeding 260 cubic centimetres
    * you must not ride a motor cycle while carrying a pillion passenger (a motorcycle and sidecar is acceptable with a passenger)
    * if you already have a full motorcar licence, you must have a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of .00% when riding a motor cycle

    Riding on a Probationary Licence
    If you are issued with a Probationary motor cycle licence, the following restrictions apply until the end of your probationary period.

    * display a 'P' plate on the rear of the motor cycle only.
    * carry your licence at all times while riding the motor cycle
    * wear an approved protective helmet while riding
    * zero BAC.
  14. correct.
    which is why i imagine getting pulled over would be fairly rare. i'm largish, don't look that young, i don't speed, didn't really lane split, never rode drunk (honestly i can't see how anyone can)
  15. Then I'll ask again, why do you need a bigger bike?

    If its just for transport just get a basic 250, you'll have no worries with cops, not cream your pants every time you get hit with an RBT hoping the cops don't check your licence. IMO a 250 can do well over 120 which is the fastest I would ever go on the normal commuting roads (being 10kph over in a 110kph zone, don't shoot me).

    Again nothing personal, get it or not I don't mind, just putting foward my point of view that I can't really see why you need a bigger bike and to run the risk of getting fined.
  16. Peleus makes a good point, if all you're after is a basic commuter that'll handle 100/110kph stretches then a 250 will be a lot cheaper to run and is better geared for that sort of riding than a supersports 600.
  17. a few reasons for wanting a bigger one:

    1. i'm tall. not just that i'm tall, because i'm only 6'2" ... my legs are disproportionately long relative to my height. i've got the same length legs as most 6'6"ers do.

    2. i hate the sensation of strangling the motor to get it anywhere

    3. the build quality on old cheap 250s is really, really fkn shit poor. i swear to god the gpx i had was so awfully built it's not funny.

    4. newer 250s are a cash hole, lose their price quickly etc. on that note, i can pick up a '99 600 for not much more than a 99 250. well, 2-3k either way

    5. although i don't speed, i rather enjoy acceleration. ;)

  18. It will be funner riding a bigger bike when your not supposed to as well! : :]
  19. yeah, they are not all that bad, my zx2r does 80k's in first and 120 at the top of 2nd gear.
  20. Quite apart from all the experience gained and insurance risks and fines etc points already made - and especially the financial horror that will consume your life should you hit something on a bike you are not legally allowed to ride, according to the rather nice looking young officer who pulled me over for a license check in the spur and whom I asked what would have happened if I had bought the zzr600 that I really want, he told me that I would be parking it where it was and walking home. That would ruin your day.
    It must be hard for tall males though. Still, its only 15 months minimum . At my age thats a 'coupla days' :) . It will be Christamas before you know it.