Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding 2up

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Old Man, Jan 22, 2008.

1. I will be able to take a pillion in April and wonder what advice 2upriders can give me.
    I ride a gs5oof, i weigh 75kg the missus weighs less?! ...i have the bike set up at factory standard, apart from changing the tyre pressures should i have to change the suspension setting?
    Are there any riding tips regarding stopping and starting, turning(and balancing while you do it) and proper pillion rider behavior that you can give?

Cheers in advance, Old Man.

2. Netrider is full of articles, click on "articles" on the left side menu

My advice, the passenger need to become a dead weight, especially in corners, starting and stopping. If you just cruise, pillion can "move", but every move will change the balance. Pillion never puts legs down etc. As a rider, expect the pillion to do silly things, like point at something, making you lose balance.. The bigger the bike, the less the effect. having a pillion is fun 2x..just need a bit of practice for both of you, and start using hand signals for "i want to stop", "i'm ok" etc
  3. Even if she's quite petite, you will feel the extra weight in all the situations you mention.

Your braking performance will suffer significantly so allow more room.

The CofG of the bike and riders will be higher, so it will try to fall over into turns. This probably won't be a problem at speed but in low speed manouvring it becomes much easier to drop the bike and end up in an undignified heap.

Acceleration will suffer so don't try any ambitious overtaking manouvers until you're used to it.

Getting pillions on and off has been comprehensively covered in the last couple of days so I won't go there.

I prefer inexperienced pillions to hold on to me rather than any grab rails. It makes it easier for them to stay with you when banking and lessens their tendency to try and climb off the outside of the bike.

It's important that your pillion trusts you and recognises that you don't want to die either.

Some riders deliberately try to scare the hell out of first timers. I don't think it's wise as, if things really do go pear shaped, the last thing you need is 75 kgs of panic flapping about on the back :shock: . Gentle acceleration and braking, conservative cornering and no (or very cautious) filtering is the order of the day. On that note, remember that your passengers knees stick out further than yours. A mate of mine was crippled way back when the rider forgot that and clipped a car with his kneecap.

It might be worth working out a code of taps and slaps beforehand so you can do basic communication without having to shout.

To sum up, my three instructions to first timers have always been:-

Hang on to me, but not a death grip. Hands either side just above the top of my pelvis suits me.
    Lean with me.
    Whatever seems to be happening, trust me. I will look after you.

Of course, your end of the bargain is to see to it that you do look after them.

Pillions do vary in their skill level but it's not easy to tell how. I've had passengers who have done all the right things but it's like having a sack of potatoes on the back, whereas others, doing nothing obviously different, have been smooth and almost undetectable.

And, perhaps most importantly, any passenger on your bike is putting their life in your hands. If you're doubtful of your ability to ride safely, don't bring anyone else into the equation until you're confident enough to take that responsibility.
  4. I ask pillion passengers to do two things.

Keep their feet on the pegs until stopped. Had one put a foot down while I was turning once..not a pleasant experience.

Look over my inside shoulder when cornering. They sometimes want to sit upright when cornering...not a pleasant experience either.

Otherwise the just need to sit and do nothing.

We, as riders, need accelerate and brake gently, and don't ride as fast ie be very smooth.
    Cautions: With the extra weight, the bike will accelerate more slowly..ie longer to overtake..and take longer to brake.