Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RiderScan blindspot eliminator

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nadski, Oct 4, 2011.

1. See:http://www.bikesales.com.au/news/2011/road/riderscan-blind-spot-eliminator-27026 for full story

2. Pffft. I have a perfectly serviceable neck which does the same thing every time I turn it.
    And I'm not a fan of devices that "encourage" people not to head-check - it teaches bad technique and what happens when you use a vehicle that doesn't have them?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. First thought is that I'm extremely wary of convex mirrors. I once replaced a broken mirror on the cage with one of those adhesive ones and after several near misses, took it off and threw it away. Anything further than 5 metres away was invisible.
    I suppose it depends on the amount of distortion, so I should reserve judgement for now.
  4. Whats wrong with a headcheck?
  5. I like it and would be happy to get one and use one - I don't think it would ever stop me doing a head check but just provide a better view of what is behind me.
  6. Seriously?
    The same thing that's wrong with them in cars.
    They involve taking your eyes off the road for longer and are less effective than combining mirrors and head checks.
    Otherwise we'd all throw away our rear view mirrors.

It seems like a useful tool to use in addition to other checks.
  7. whats so new about a blind spot mirror ?

they are like $5 at supercheap
  8. So what does it really do that the little convex accessory mirrors can't for a lot less money?

Personally I don't mind convex mirrors. They've been standard wear on commercial vehicles for decades, which is where I first came across them, and I notice that some car manufacturers are now incorporating a convex section into their side mirrors. I've got a couple of the little round jobs on my van and I find myself using them more than the main flat glass sections. Like any other tool it's necessary to learn how to use them and become familiar with them.
  9. But this thing is mounted below the instruments, causing you to look down rather than "around" - I bet it takes longer to analyse the picture too, because of the distortion.
    I think there's also something in "being seen" performing a headcheck by other motorists; I wouldn't have much confidence in someone who never turned around, but kept looking down - that looks like you're sending a text...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. assuming it doesnt have a stupid high price tag would be a good additional safety feature...got to be cheap to make
  11. I can't see the vid from here.
    but the one in the link in the OP is mounted above the instruments effectively tucked in behind the screen. Which seemed useful to me.
    Below the instruments wouldn't be useful for the reasons you mention.
  12. I have my mirrors adjusted for the blindspot. I don't much car what is directly behind me, and can lean across a bit, if i do.
  13. If you do an emergency stop you won't be able to see if the car behind you is going to stop. So you won't know to get out of the way.
  14. I can still check that, just by leaning across a bit...and often do if i'm first at the red traffic light.
    I've not once ever straight out 'stopped' in an emergency. I have always escaped through a gap, or other such opportunity. I never just stop behind a car...ever. There is always an escape rout - a place to go, even if it's just a few meters out of the direct line of fire from behind. Even that would be unusual. I don't get stuck. I slow down rapidly, negotiate and continue on.

Checking behind me at traffic lights is really just to confirm they are stopping. I already know who's there from regular scanning beforehand.
  15. Very good point. Even if you do manage to stop in a straight line, any numpty behind you probably won't. I think I need to practice this.
  16. There isn't always a preferable exit. For example if you hit the anchors at a red light that has a camera, you wouldn't automatically use your escape route of going over the line unless you needed to.

In heavy braking I suggest that it would be difficult to manouver and see the rear view.

Personally I leave the left in and the right out. That allows a clear view out the back in the left hand mirror for e stops etc, and the right lane changes are more hazardous so that gets a good view.
  17. Yes, quite true. ( i connsider E-braking and red light stopping, as two different scenarios)

At a traffic light, i am fully prepared to turn left into the cross street (note! NOT go straight ahead), or dive over to an adjacent lane for cover.

In an e brake i would say that riders while trying to e-brake care very little about what's behind them, in the middle of it all. i don't. But apart from red lights, where one still has options, im not planning on stopping at all, so while i do usually know what is behind me, i don't really care because i do not intend to stop, in a e-brake.

Your idea VC, regarding your mirror set up, makes a hell of of a lot of good common sense. It is something i would urge anyone to try for week, see they can make it work for them.
    For my own case, things are a little different, and i can't do it, or dont want to, because of my specific demands beyond general road riding. But it is a very good idea, and i would be looking to merge it with my general set-up.
  18. Just curious... why is the right lane changes more hazardous?
  19. Might be worth emphasising that you can still get hit from behind, even in a slightly less than e-brake situation and where you don't stop. I did three years ago and it hurt. I will admit that I should have seen the bastard coming though.