Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rider's life lost - Gold Coast

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by dan, May 25, 2005.

1. Just heard on the radio a few minutes ago that a rider was killed in an accident in Mermaid Beach.

:(

2. Was riding a Honda, went offroad and hit a tree at about 10 this morning. Sounds from the cops like he may have been speeding... but it's a bit early to tell. :(

3. commiserations to his family and friends :cry:

4. Never nice to hear and chances are he may associate with some on this forum and you have my commiserations also Michelle

5. Given the number or roundabouts around there I wouldn't be suprised to hear he took one too fast and lost it.

However it happened it's a tragedy for the family. My commiserations for what they are worth.

6. too many posts on this subject

Jeez, I'm going to have to stop reading the forums if this spate of deaths and accidents doesn't abate!! You just wonder, despite all the best advice and knowledge, how many of these accidents are the result of excess speed, excess enthusiasm and not enough experience, or, worse, alcohol.
    My commiserations to the family and all the extended contacts who are always effected, some for life, by a tragedy like this. Whatever the cause, he was someone's son, someone's mate, someone's lover and someone's employee. PLEASE be careful people, no-one lives unto himself and no-one dies unto himself! A split second of fun with a nailed throttle doesn't compensate a parent for an empty room at home.

7. my condolences.
    i "hope" it was not someone i know , or someone i was not fortunate enough to know....
    R.I.P

8. From http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/news/news.htm

SPEED and inexperience are being blamed for the death of a 17-year-old motorcyclist on the Gold Coast yesterday.

The teenage male was riding south along Rio Vista Boulevard at Mermaid Waters when he lost control of his Honda CBR 250 about 10.15am and slammed into a group of trees.

He was thrown from his bike and landed 32m away.

His helmet was found more than 50m away.

He died at the scene.

The officer in charge of the Gold Coast Accident Investigation Squad, Sergeant Garth Crank, said preliminary investigations indicated excessive speed and inexperience were contributing factors in the accident.

"He's gone over the bridge just past Winch Court, lost control of his bike and partially locked the back wheel up but has gone straight at the left-hand bend and collided with a number of trees," he said.

"It's quite possible he had 'speed wobbles' as he has gone over the bridge so when he applied emergency braking it hasn't had the same effect as it would have on a straight flat section of road.

"At the end of the day it's another needless waste of life."

It was the third fatal accident on Gold Coast roads in less than a week.

On Sunday, a 36-year-old Japanese man was killed instantly when his motorcycle and a utility collided along a winding stretch of Beaudesert-Nerang Road near Canungra, in the Hinterland.

Early on Saturday morning, a 25-year-old man died after rolling his car at the intersection of Hay and Oxenford-Tamborine roads at Wongawallan.

Meanwhile, a 21-year-old man remained in a serious condition at Gold Coast Hospital after crashing his motorcycle into the back of a parked car on Sunday, May 15.

Sgt Crank said yesterday that motorists had to be responsible for their actions.

"I would really like to get the message out to the parents of these young people about how important it is to have a discussion with their kids about the whole road safety issue," he said.

"I get frustrated after seeing deceased person after deceased person ...

"The family they leave behind are shattered by these accidents.

"People just don't stop and think about the repercussions for the people they leave behind.

"My challenge for the Gold Coast is to make my job redundant. That would make me the happiest man alive."

9. For all that we complain about draconian speed laws and over-enforcement, it's worth remembering the cops and ambos who have to deal with the consequences of people's mistakes, misjudgements and general stupidity. It must be so frustrating - not to mention emotionally draining.

Condolences to everyone involved in these incidents.