Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mr Messy, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Well S&@T!
    Riding along minding my own business and i do believe whatever was left of my friction plates decided to fail all at once. All good, and no warning signs of clutch slipping, then no drive at all and lots of revs :p.
    Fortunately i was only about 1km from home, so i took most of my gear off and stuffed it in the bag, and walked it home. Then i walked back to the bike and started pushing the bastard. Every ahole in the world staring at me, and even a cop pulling over to make sure i owned the bike. 8-[.

Anyway, once i got home and recovered my breath some, I called my friendly local mechanic who used test riding a repaired bike as an excuse to swing by to have a look, and says yep friction plates are gone, and decided on the spot after looking at the clutch cable that it needs replacing too (is fraying and i was going to get a new one on saturday morning).

Parts wise (5x friction plates, gasket and cable) is pretty good. All up $156.

I have no trouble getting the bike to the mechanics, so thats not an effort or expense to be worried about, but the actual labour cost he quoted it as being between 2.5 - 3.5 hours, at $99 per hour.

As im semi-mechanically minded... Heres where i get to my actual question.
    Has anyone done the work themselves, and was it overly difficult? Any tips? Is it worth the effort for me, or should i just suck wind and pay the dude to do the work for me?
  2. bike / year etc?
  3. Unless there's something particularly exotic about the clutch on your bike, 2.5-3 hours seems over the top.

Usual procedure is:

Drain oil (or lean bike right over away from clutch).
    Engine case off
    Remove clutch springs (might need special tool, but probably not)
    Fish old plates out
    Put new plates in
    Fit clutch springs
    Case back on with new gasket
    Refill oil (if drained)
    Adjust clutch release mechanism

All up, I'd expect anyone who knows what they're doing to have it sorted in an hour, barring any major snags like seized casing screws.
  4. Oh right, that would help (had it in my signature until a week ago...).
    02 Kwaka ZZR250.
  5. I reckon I have an old gasket for one of those!! When I did my engine swap I had one spare because I didn't change an engine cover or something... you brought the parts yet??

I'll go home and check which side the gasket is for and let you know.

+1 PatB, I've never worked on a clutch but everything I've read, been told and witnessed work on sounds just like that. Might need clutch tool.
  6. Yeah brownyy i already ordered and paid for the lot. Cheers for the offer though.
    They will arrive tomorrow i think.

Ill have a look, at the least i can take it apart myself and see if i can manage it. If not ill get my mech to put it all back together for me :p.

As for tools i do have a couple of fancy spring compressors... not sure if they would do the job but will see. Ive also been told the springs themselves might need replacing... any thoughts? Bike has only done 30000km... so id say the wear plates are the problem not the springs :p.
  7. The tool is usually for locking up the clutch to undo a nut. Sometimes you can get away with a mate with a foot on the back brake or a lump of timber through the wheel.

Other times a couple of bits of bent flat bar can be used.

depending on how much gasket needs to be scraped off 1-1.5 hours.
  8. Yeah i spent that much time trying to scrape the old gasket off my oil screen cover :p.
    Alright, ill give it a look on the weekend. Ninja250 wiki insists all the tools you need to replace the springs (doesnt mention friction plates though...) are included in the toolkit for the bike... let yas know how i get on.
  9. Nuffin' to it, do it yerself and save the labour costs.

make sure you put the clutch plates back in, in the correct order.

google it and see how easy it is.

Inside an hour including removing and replacing fairings on both of mine.
  10. Hey guys.
    You were right, was easy once i actually tried it. Took a little over two hours, mainly because i was cold in the wind and took a couple of breaks to warm my hands back up :p.
    All together and works a treat ;). No more probs... i just have to take it easy per the mechanics advice to let it all bed in properly for 20km or so - too cold to do it by the time i finished.
    Now i need to relearn downshifting. I used engine braking as soon as i took off and near got pitched over the handlebars with how well its all gripping - as it should i guess :D.
  11. Good stuff!!!

Now treat yourself to something with the money you saved.
  12. Now you know why slipper clutches were invented :D.