Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Rider training program axed

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jdkarmch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. What is the one problem that we have identified with TAC - one that summarises their style and approach?

Answer: They make bad ads, that lack effectiveness and which don't reach their target in our case - and they could do a lot better.

Training better road users is the best approach to take where we are involved, and the evidence presented itself just this week below. Its one topic which we as riders relate to - in fact looking at Netrider its something that is most discussed.

TAC were told to head in this direction, but refused to accept that advice. IMHO, the best way to reach riders is to embrace a subject that is of intense interest to them. The article below proves that approach works - and it saves lives - in this case 18 lives!

IMHO - this is an opportunity that we should pursue. The story here? The story is "a proven program that has resulted in a significant reduction in rider fatality and injury exists that TAC should support and utilise to replace their much maligned The Ride ad - something that will win back rider support and generate their interest in becoming safer riders".

This is a story which the public will buy. All the criticism of the ad to date, which is falling on deaf ears, is getting us far (not that we should stop bring the argument back to the RSC Inquiry's recommendation 22). This is the next stage of the process - and be incorporated into the argument.

Please discus.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I read that the program saved lives, but do we know that some other variable wasn't at play?
  3. It is probably a bit of a reach to claim the SMART programme, as good as it was, can be credited with being the only factor in ther reduction in rider fatalities.

I am sure the programme did assist many riders improve their roadcraft, but would suspect the overall reductions in the rider road toll is more likely attributable to the phased introduction of revised motorcycle licensing conditions in Qld over the same time period ie the LAMS and Qride systems.
  4. How many riders were assisted?

Given your comment about licensing, were the reductions all garnered from recent L and P riders? Genuine question.
  5. Rob, I think the Mick Doohan stuff was assisted rides - from what I read between the lines.

From what I read - since the program was axed - fatalities have gone up - heading towards what the were before Smart Rider. Also, I don't know how long Smart Rider was running - pre-changes to Qld licencing mods.

Think we need to get more info on this one. It certainly does smell like "the smoking gun" that proves the value of post licence advanced rider skills training.
  6. Well that's why I'm asking questions.
  7. See here S.M.A.R.T Program

8. That sounds like a great program. How many riders went through the program? What other programs were happening at the same time which may have impacted the fatality? To make a call that the SMART program as good as it looks, was the reason for a massive reduction, is a big call - as much as I'd like to make it.
  9. It was great program. Tendered out with the message controlled by GCCC. It would fit the TAC direction of "slow down" and "hazard recognition". The previous message attempted by the GCCC was a graveyard with a high risk resume.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. How widely was the program embraced?

If the take up was high, could you summarise why? I'm interested in that response, because that is something that can be used to take back to the RSC.
  11. Just curious, which TAC ad talked about hazard recognition?
  12. Hazard Recognition? Wasn't it MUARC who did a study a few years ago that uncovered the fact that motorcycle riders were far more likely to recognise risks when compared to car drivers.

I think Hazard Perception is covered by Vic Roads.

I'm still looking forward to hearing more feedback from our Qld friends on this subject.
  13. blame the victims , to shift focus from the culprits.

ie: shift responsibilty for road trauma to the "vulnerable road user" beit motorcyclist, pedestrian, cyclist etc.
    because they were on the road utilising a method of transporting themselves with a higher risk factor than a 5 star safety car.
    therefore it's there own fault for being there.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. and they've invested heavilly in that programming of joe public for the last 10 years.
    they will not reverse on it now. they can't afford to.
  15. Yes, experienced riders picked up hazard up to 2 to 4 seconds before joe schmuck experienced driver. Even novice riders picked up hazards before drivers.

I referenced the paper either in the PMI submission or the national road safety strategy one, or both...

It was also MUARC, contracted by AAMI, who did research on advanced driving skills and found that if you treat the attitude as well, the advanced skills leads to safer driving.

Despite TAC saying that training leads to more crashes (and there is a body of research that says this), I think they have a stake in the P Plater project and their ridesmart program is based on skill building for safer riding (but the material has definitely been TAC-ised).
  16. Sorry for the delay to come back to you on this one but weekend work is about all I get. Yesterday in the sun and today in the rain. I really wish I had kept more details on this but I did not believe they would axe this on the "core business" excuse. The "core business" excuse is usually used when the organisation takes on, in an inept way, functions that they would not normally consider vital. The original programme was very simple but it grew into various levels. Originally it covered only the Gold Coast residents but was later opened to everyone including interstate.

It is unfortunate the levels and history have been removed from the www. From its inception and subsequent tenders Honda HART were the provider so they and they alone could provide information accurate to the process. HART have been actively involved in this on-road training approach whilst others have focused on off-road (race track) with the emphasis on on-road applications. Finally some trainers have focussed on a so called "unique assessment process" which only confuses trainees even more.

I would only like to focus here on the SMART programme. When it come to this, every State is different, with lines and pegs in the sand, with little regard to the "laws of physics" not constrained by the "pencil pushers". Oh... and not let's forget about the UMC. Respect and Space.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
  17. Is anyone else rolling around the floor laughing? o_O
  18. It would also fit with the priority area of education and training that forms part of the focus for the TAC motorcycle levy.

I am sure there are a number of RTOs in Victoria who would be able to tender for local area provision of a TAC subsidised training course.
  19. TAC collects the levy, VicRoads spends it according to preagreed guidelines, mostly research and road engineering treatments. If it went to subsidised training, that would be great, however some has gone to the on road coaching research project, which by all reports, is a bit of an unfortunate debacle.
  20. Regrettably some people over apply effort in search of a solution. I believe they are called the "magnificent seven" in some places. Six bronze and one self appointed GOLD.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: