Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rider training - Adelaide (SW suburbs) ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by VladTepes, May 15, 2012.

1. As mentioned in another thread, my lady is considering getting her bike learners licence (she has had a car licence for many years).

She's in the SW Adelaide suburbs.

Does anyone know of any bike training establishments in that part of the world?

It would need to be one that could supply bike and gear initially. (She does have gear but its here n Brisbane as she's a regular pillion on my 1400)

2. AFAIK there aren't any in Adelaide at all like that, let alone the SW suburbs.

The bike shop in Strathalbyn offers training, but done on public roads around Adelaide, and I'm sure one needs their own bike & gear.

3. Surely there MUST be rider training places in Adelaide.
    How else do South Australians obtain their licences?

And of course may potential new riders would want ot try it before commiting to huge financial cost of bike and gear !

4. Sorry, I thought you meant training other than for a licence.

The rider training for licences is run by the transport department only and is known as Rider Safe.

The learners course is 2 days and a couple of hundred dollars, they provide a bike and helmet. Overall the value is not too bad, and if she wants to give it a try then she might as well have the learners' signed off at the same time I guess!

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transp...le+licences/Applying+for+a+motorcycle+licence

The centre at Oaklands Park was closed late last year, unfortunately, so its a bit of a drive out to the St Agnes range from the southern suburbs.

5. 2 x half days, they run on weekdays and weekends. It is done on an area the size of a couple of basketball courts. It has risen in price to about $350ish.

Half the time is spent in the classroom going over theory and road rules (it's the same course if you have a car license or not).

There is basic starting, stopping, gear changing (up to 3rd) and cornering (well as much as you can do in a basketball court). At the end of the two days there is a basic test ie: weaving some cones, corner in the lines etc.

When you pass you can go to Motor Reg and be issued a 'Learners' license, which is valid for 2 years, after a minimum of 4 months you can go and do the 'Advanced' rider safe course. Same location but for only the one half day (another $350-400). That allows you to move onto P's or to restricted if holding a full drivers license.

So it is two half days in a basketball court, then you are allowed to jump on any LAMS bike unsupervised. Probably not the best way to license someone for a bike, but it has been this way for the last 15years or more.

6. Thank You

7. So it is two half days in a basketball court, then you are allowed to jump on any LAMS bike unsupervised. Probably not the best way to license someone for a bike, but it has been this way for the last 15years or more

Just curious dsyfer............how would you structure motorcycle training then??

Taking in consideration out of ten students on the course, at least 3 or 4 of them have never sat on a motorbike or even driven a manual car.

8. I think it is the perfect starter, but it needs a road component (maybe a 1 on 1 with bluetooth comms, people could learn a lot in a hour).

2 x half days in a small secure area doesn't really get the average person up to speed with actual road riding, with cars, lights, round abouts that aren't painted on etc.

This for some people could be their first ever time controlling a vehicle on a road, so whilst trying to not only learn how to ride a motorbike, they also have to learn how to use the road.

When my wife went through a month ago, there was a mix of young never driven/never ridden (yes sounds naughty) to quite old getting a license for a scooter.

Driving a car for the first time requires a fair bit of supervised driving before being let loose on your own on P's.

9. Basic test st agnes the actual test at the end 2nd day,
    Ride in an oval change from 2 to 3 on straights back to 2 on corner, eyes head
    In correct position for corners
    Stop between 2 cones with left foot on ground and in 1st.

That is the test.
    Advanced test for r date licence
    Ride between a kinda snake curve between 2 lines about 500mm apart - easy
    Next
    Figure eight inside a rectangle about 1.5 carparks wide no feet onground - hard
    Next
    Slow straight between two lines agaisnt stop watch - easy ish
    Next
    Weave betrween markers both wheels must clear -medium
    Next
    Emergency brake from 30 k ph in 3rd within 11 m left foot ground in 1st

There is a points system which is very forgiving but u must get the last
    One or its instant fail

10. Any ques about rider safe just ask its fresh cos i kinda fast tracked throu
    Both cos i didnt like the L plate )

11. how she going ?

12. She's been up here for a while, so hasn;t been back yet.

13. Hi Phil

I sent you a private message a few days ago

14. Thanks for the info above on the Advanced Course at St Agnes.

For the straight line balance test, does anyone know the distance this covers? (e.g. I know you need to take at least 15 secs, but is this for 15m, or 30m, or ??

I'm doing some practice based on what was on the yellow sheet they handed us after the pre-Ls pass, and this is the only one that seems a bit vague. (I assume the weaving is through the cat's eyes that we practised in pre-Ls).

15. Well, I passed (a few weeks ago). Regarding my question - it was about 15m long!

16. Can someone please share the address for the st Agnes facility?