Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rider to pillion communication

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by darkstorm, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Hi guys,
    I rarely go out on the bike without the wife on the back, and i was sure that i had forgotten something last week when i went to work on the bike. It took me 5 minutes to realise that i am so used to having her on the back that it feels wierd when she isnt there. lol.

Anyway my question is what would be the best setup for rider to pillion communication. I am not really worried about using mobile phone or music. it would just be nice to chat a bit while riding. (saying look at that bloody idiot to yourself isnt satisfying enough lol).

we have tried uhf radios with earphones etc and they dont work at such close range, the earphones hurt your ears too. We also tried a set of supposed motorbike intercoms, which were quite cheap at Tandy`s. they worked well up to 40 km an hour. After that the wind noise was almost defening and no sense could be made of anything that was said.

Any advice would be awsome.

2. you may try sign language :wink:
  3. lol. I tried but it just looks like i am trying to do shaddow puppetry with gloves on lol...
  4. Try Starcom1. One feedback was "doing 240 all I could hear was "" OH SH!T , OH SH!T"" from the back" :grin:
  5. I reckon that would be an awsome sound coming from the back. lol.... will look it up now.
    Thanks for the help :)
  6. We do. Seriously! Using real sign language! Works a treat.
  7. Doesn't Auslan require you to use both hands? Who's steering the bike? :LOL: :LOL: :p
  8. Us DUCATI riders have 3 hands so it isn't a problem :LOL:
    Everyone tells me its normally 2 for the bars and I'll let you use your imagination fir the third :wink:
  9. Feet!

Oh and u can sign one-handed :)
  10. ...What yelling at each other doesn't work?
  11. Not when one has a hearing loss. Chuck a helmet on and wind etc and forget it.

We sign (talk) when safe to do so, BTW :wink: otherwise it's before we go or when we stop.
  12. wow. never thought people would be so passionate about sign language or yelling lol.....
    It is true we could and do do both at the moment, but it would be nice not to have to :p
  13. autocom is another option starting price is $485 but it gives you the options of adding music, mobile and uhf for bike to bike if you feel you want to go dwon that track later on