Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rider technically down, looking for new boots

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jabolotai, Nov 3, 2009.

1. I took a spill riding home from last weeks TNMR. I detoured into a slightly bumpy carpark to practice some slow speed knee down control when it happened.

I hit a bump and rolled off the throttle momentarily as I slipped too far in my lean and couldn't turn the bike in anymore to counter it at such a slow speed. When my elbow started dragging at full lock the bike kind of rolled over onto its side on my leg.

Good things:
    • Going slow (under 20km/h).
    • Leant right over so I didn't have far to fall.
    • Wearing all the gear (full leathers, good gloves with scaphoid protector, back protector, boots, and a helmet).
    • Naked bike.
    • Not in the middle of traffic, nothing but seagulls to run over me.

Bad things:
    • Because I hung on until the very last, my leg was underneath the bike when it fell. From the knee down it acted like a meat-cushion for the 140 odd kilograms of VTR250.

Injuries:
    • Skinned my elbow (inside my leathers!?).
    • Strained my shoulder.
    • Bruises and scrapes from my foot up my lower leg.
    • Ankle and just above it swolled up enough that my boots almost didn't zip up next day.

Damage to the bike:
    • Twisted the wheel in the front fork mounts slightly so the handlebars weren't pointing straight.
    • Pushed up the front brake lever slightly.
    • Little scratch on the muffler.
    • Cracked the indicator mounting.
    • Scuffed my leathers and boot a little.

What I learnt:
    • How little an upset to throttle control input at maximum lean angle can send you past the point of no return.
    • How little it takes to injur you even in full gear at slow speed.
    • How hard it is to control a bike properly at slow speed.
    • A new found respect for asphalt, bikes and personal safety.

I got up, dusted myself off, gave the bike a once over and called it a night. My boots (Rossi Vision, super comfortable but just leather) did bugger all beyond save a scrape on the toe where a slider would normally sit, and potentially stop some burns while my leg was trapped. I've been looking for new boots anyway but this sealed the deal. I'm sure the top of the line racer gear would prevent impact injuries much better but I wonder
    about crush style injuries. Safety features and a cheap price seem to be at odds. I want a boot with superior all-round protection including ankle movement restriction, metatarsal protection, heel protection, toe sliders, the works... They will see the odd track day too.

I've been looking at:
    1. Oxtar TCS Evo RS (which are now called TCX)
    2. Alpinestars Supertech
    3. Puma 1000 (if I can get them cheap)
    4. Daytona Evo Sports.

Any recommendations? Budget is up to $500.

2. i have NFI what slow speed knee down control is or the purpose of it...anyway, apparently you lived and learnt, so that's good... Sidi Vertigo Corsa have a full exo-skeleton and are basically designed for shock absorbsion all round...expensive boot but the Oz dollar is strong.

3. Why the hell do you noobs keep trying to 'getyakneedownmate' in carparks?

What's the point?

Stop it!

It's starting to hurt my brain.

4. indeed!...i think the last guy that posted this now has some serious competition for that prestigious Darwin award...after giving your incident a great deal of thought, i think the most likely cause was gravity> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation

hope that helps, cheers.

5. Plus one on the Sidis,as well as having all the bells and whistles they are really comfy

6. WTF is low speed knee down practice ??

Low speed plus low off center, center of gravity means oop's almost every time.

7. #7 devotard, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  8. #8 VTRBob, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  9. I'm an Alpinestar man.

If you were getting your knee down at slow speed, there's no way you had your front wheel at full lock. :?

10. +1
    I love my SMX4's. Great touring boot. Good balance of comfort, water resistance, and ankle support.

AlpinestarsSmxt.

Not a full race-boot or anything. I used to have a pair of Sidi's that did have better ankle protection, but their sizing was such that I had to buy a slightly smaller pair and hope they stretched.
    That took too long, so I pissed them off and bought the A*'s and never looked back.
    That was the day I figured out that gear should be comfy AND tight when you try it on, and if it isn't: keep shopping - don't compromise.

... and that anyone who says "Buy as tight as possible, it'll stretch." is an idiot.

11. If I can hijack the tread a tad: I'd love to wear proper boots, given there's already plates and screws and scar tissue in my leg... but my calf muscles are just too damn thick. Anything that fits the foot won't zip up on the leg. Ideas?

12. Get some low speed knee down action to grind away the excess calf muscle.

13. :D

(blearghh to 10 characters)

14. Devo: every one of the people in that vid binned it :grin:

OP: +1 on the Sidi Vertigos. However I consider the Alpinestars and Sidis to be similar, but they have very different 'fit'. Eg The A*s were okay, but not THAT comfy. But trued on the Sidis and they were perfect. My friend had the exact opposite experience

Bravus: Some of the boots (such as Sidi Vertigos) have an adjustable calf section. when I wear them under Draggins I tighten them up. When I wear them over leathers, I wind them back a bit to allow for the thickness of the leathers. It may be worth a look if you haven't already. They wind back a fair bit, but due to the internals, not quite as much as what it looks like.

Tightened:

Loosened:

15. look into the Dainese Axial Race New, they look to have great protection on the inside of the leather, as i dont like the popular robocop style of the moment.

whereas I've heard nothing but good things about the Sidis- Vertigo Corse & Vertice.
    i think the pumas (v2) offer similar protection but felt quite heavy.
    and alpinestars (Supertech) have been around for yonks and must know their stuff.

with those boots pretty much all on par, it comes down to price/sale/specials i guess.

DSCN0057.

16. Thanks heaps, Morbo - yeah, that looks like it might accommodate even my beefy calves

17. I realise that *now*... :facepalm:

I scraped my pegs unexpectedly a few weeks back on the road; thought it better to learn to be comfortable with the max lean angle and traction limit of my bike off the road. It seemed easier at the time to hang my weight right off while I practiced. Car park surface wasn't consistent enough to do it at speed.

Thanks for the info on boots, time to go try a few pairs on.

lol at the video.

18. My Oxtars are brilliant, super comfy and held up in a small off.
    They also look sweet as a nut.

I vote Oxtar (or whatever theyre called now)

19. Before i sold my VTR250 i took it for one last hammer up through the old pacific. Pretty much can put it through every corner almost hitting the rev limiter and on 70% of the corners my legs never leave the bike. The VTR is so light you can make it corner with just a little bit of counter steer and shift your arse =p not really any need to put your knee out. The only reason your knee should ever come out is if you are cornering so hard that you are hanging off the side of the bike like a monkey hanging on for dear life! =p

I have no idea what low speed knee action is, but i would say practise your U-turns would be much higher on the list of things to get down pat. Always looks funny when you see a guy on an awesome bike, duck waddling it around a U-turn in front of a cafe/pie shop hehe! Have a mate who can chuck a U-turn at like 30km\h looks so cool but he doesn't even have a car license and has been riding since he was 16.

Good thing with the VTR is that its naked and doesn't take too much damage when it goes down! Its a tops learner bike i find that i really miss mine sometimes!!

20. ??? :-s

Nothing wrong with practicing good form even when you aren't going full ball. I pop the knee out as a gauge for the road even if i'm not intending to scrape.

Not sure if you were suggesting that this is the case only on the vtr250 or on all bikes. I would do the same regardless of what bike I ride and hanging off for me isn't really about gymnastics, its a slight adjustment in where i'm sitting and I put my upper body weight over the inside side of the bike. You don't have to be a monkey to hang off. I actually think hanging off that far isn't helpful to technique because you aren't facing the corner due to your bum hanging off the seat and you put an unneccesary load on the handlebars because you're not using your legs to hang on when you're that far out.