Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rider survives 235kph crash

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by dan, Jul 18, 2005.

1. considering at 235kph your doing about 70meters per second, i somehow doubt he only cartwheeled 20m...

i'm thinkin more like 200m

2. Either he grabbed the drag strip with his nails or had parachute in his helmet. No way of stopping from 235 km/h to 0 km/h in 20 meters!!! Probably his top speed was 235 for that run..........
  3. And to think i missed that to goto a party with an open bar :D ...ohwell, same thing will happen next year (+/- crashes)
  4. It takes a very short time to scrub off speed on bitumen. Especially with leathers. Have a look at any GP crash and you'll see that even at high speed they stop pretty quickly. Something like wet grass you'll slide a long way but 20 to 30 metres is probably all it will take.

I've seen an off at over 200k on the track. He only slid about 25 metres or so. (He also got away with mild concussion and a sprained wrist).

5. 200m wasn't meant to be takin as a literal distance, i still think a rider stopping at that speed in 20-25m is crap, maybe after he his hit the ground and is trying to make tarmac angels but not from point of contact. no way...
  6. Barry Sheene crashed at Daytona on the banking in 1975. The bike was estimated to be going at 275 km/h. His leathers were completely shredded on the back from sliding along the bitumen and he broke his left thigh, his collarbone, his right arm and two ribs. He was racing again within 5 weeks of the accident.

In 1976 Russ Collins the famous American drag racer, crashed his 3 engined Honda drag bike at Bowling Green, Kentucky, at over 180 mph (288 km/h) He was hospitalised and spent several months in a hospital and in a wheelchair while recuperating.

Also, in the early 1970's (1972 I think), the Team Hansen Kawasaki rider, Art Baumann had crashed at over 170 mph (272 km/h) during a race in America and he also survived.
  7. Methinks they have some sort ofsand trap/gravel trap at the end of the strip which would wipe off speed quickly.
    I also think he had a top speed of 235 and crashed at a far less speed.
    One also has to consider that the bike itself washed off speed when the rear wheel locked up so take all those factors into account he may have only slid 30 metres or so.
    Remember newspapers love to sensationalise things.
  8. Oh c'mon!! Surely you've seen torque or biker boyz where after racing a busa along a dirt road, they slowed and stopped about 10 metres after the finish line. There was probably a patch of oil so the rider slid a further 10 metres. :p
  9. My guess is he probably did summersalt for 20 metres but there was some sliding both before and after that to wash off the rest of the speed. Just not as captivating giving the longer version of events. And as others have pointed out some speed would have been washed off while still on the bike.
  10. theres nothing at the end of the strip just another 1320ft of asphalt, from what ive heard from people, he finished the race at 235ks, then slowing down he crashed..
  11. it's the summersalts that do the most damage... when you are sliding on a smooth surface nothing much happens... friction burns??
  12. Bloody hell they were tough in the 70's. Makes the new boys look like pansies when they are complaining about Laguna Seca! :LOL:
  13. And remember, leathers and gloves were a lot more primitive thatn they are now, and as for back protectors. Back protectors? What are they?

Yeh they were tough guys.

At Bathurst in 1979, Rick Perry, on a Kawasaki 750 triple, lost his front brakes coming off the hump in Conrod Straight where the Chase is now. He stomped on the back brake to try and slow the bike (he woud have been doing around 280 km/h) and the back brake bit and locked the back wheel.

The bike lay down and Perry and the bike slid from there, right down the road and into the sand trap on the other side of Murrays Corner.

He got up, had his bruises and cuts looked at by the doctor and RACED the next day!

I was there and saw it. Tough men.

14. bollocks - ever try to stop a bike on a good road with really sticky tyres (ie on a track with hot slicks) from 200+ in 20 metres? Not going to happen!! And leather has a lower friction coefficient than tyres. Besides, camera angles and telephoto lenses make big distances look quite small on tv.

Oh, while i think of it, by far and away most of the track offs you see are at far less than 235km/h. I'll certainly agree that watching biaggi come off at 80km/h through turn 7 is interesting in that he doesn't slide far in the gravel, but from 235 you have to be reaching an average of

v2 = u2 + 2aS

v = 0
    u = 65m/s = 235km/h

a = 105 m/s2 or roughly 10 gee

like f$^%
  15. Actually it was my brother-in-law in about 1973 - I was there at Adelaide International Raceway in the pits when he came off. When it's someone you know you don't forget an incident like that...

Firstly - most of the stopping distance when you are braking is due to reaction time.

Secondly - the actual surface area when you are sliding is many times larger than the contact patch of a tyre.

However I'm quite happy to watch and be convinced if anyone volunteers to demonstrate :LOL: :LOL:
  16. i've come off on eastern creek at about 150, and no WAY i got even near 20m or 10g let alone moving faster to start with.

Further, summersaults are not contact area with the ground and 25m is longer than 20m. Consider that the peak acceleration you get in a good car with sticky tyres is no greater than 2g, that car with not too much less than the contact area you have with the ground with your hands, part of your back and your arse can't get even close to 20m stopping distance.

Even a F1 will only get to ~4g with aero assistance!
  17. 10G is rather high. :?

Take it down to 200kph & 25 metres and it drops back to 6G. Take it out to 30 metres and it drops to 5G.

Looking at the figures it's going to be around 40-45 metres. 50 metres for a smoother suface. Further than the 20 but an awful lot less than 200...