Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rider safe course in Adelaide

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Mandala434, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Hey guys I'm just wondering...I'm so interested in getting my L permit that I gotta ask this...
    What can I expect from the rider safe course training & assessment? I need someone to explain to me what I can expect from it especially the part with the tests. I'm going to try to attempt it since I already got a driver license. Does anyone knows how much it'll cost me? I've heard that if you failed once you can attempt it again twice for free is that true? How ridiculous are the tests? :LOL: I've heard from a workmate that you have to do all sorts of weird cruising & then brake-stop all the sudden in a few meters or something without veering away from the straight line is that also true? How long do you expect a complete beginner to complete the course? I've already got quite a bit of experiences in riding a scooter (it's a 50cc), so I thought jumping to a 250cc manual should be a 2nd nature. Anyway, cheers for the help.

By the way, I've already thought about my bike along with the scoot I already owned. I reckon since I'm a poor guy I'm gonna go with Honda VTR250 or Kawasaki ZZR 250 depends on which one's cheaper

2. The course is designed for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle before, so you would be fine with your limited scooter experience. L1 takes you through the controls of the motorcycle, basic riding techniques and has a mix of class and riding exercises to build up your skills to pass the final exercise (assessed). This gets you your "L".
    They've changed the fee structure (see below) and so you can re-book twice for free.
    L1 requires you to complete a short circuit which includes turns, gear changes and controlled braking. Your mate is talking about L2 which gets you your R-date license.
    Riding a scooter will help with some basics (balance, sense of speed, throttle control) but can also (untutored IMO) give you some bad habits, so go to the course with an open mind.
    If you're interested, wander down to Oaklands Park and have a look at what they do. There's courses on this weekend. L1 and L2.
    Good luck.

Effective from 1st July 2006

Rider Safe Motorbike Training Courses
    Level One, Basic $317.00
    Level Two, Advanced $281.00
    Rider Safe Learner's Permit (9 months) - Effective 17 July 2006 $25.00
  3. Cheers Duanne definitely going there by Tuesday (the latest) with my frees next week & might book the basic course. What's the chance of me passing first try by the way? If it looks a bit iffy, I'm pulling out & stick with my scoot for a bit longer & keep on piling my saving a bit more, squandering $. 300's not really easy for me at the moment (especially that if I do pass I have to start hunting for a bike). What's the final test like to just get your L permit in your experience? Wish they have a sample videos somewhere on the net.
  4. mate if you can stay upright, turn a corner, brake and change gears you will easily pass the basic course. it is meant as a learning/teaching experience not a hard arsed you have to be lucky to pass type setup....

the final test was starting off and moving up to 3rd gear, brake and back to 2nd gear to do a left hand turn, up to third gear, brake and back to second, do another left hand turn, up to third then stop within a few metres limit where the instructor is standing, they are big (and rightly so) on where your head is placed ie looking where you want to go.... from memory that is about it.... anyone who has done it more recently feel free to add or correct me.....
  5. The majority of students pass, so I guess that's an indicator.

Looking mainly for ability to display competency using major controls - throttle, clutch, front / rear brake and gears, as well as balance. Don't wanna send someone out on the street that doesn't even have the basic skill and confidence to control the bike...

Make the effort to master the friction point of the clutch lever and smooth use of throttle - it will reap you rewards.

Yes, look where you want to go and you'll get there - the head up techniquie will give you a sense of where you are and time to adjust your line / speed etc to suit the street environment. Its the same as when you walk - you don't look at the ground looking for pennies do you??
  6. Good memory...just add that you need to use both brakes when slowing for the turns, look through the corners maintaining a constant speed and when you stop you need to get back to 1st gear with left foot on ground (right remains convering brake), front tyre within 1 metre of line. Oh yeh, and don't run over the instructor - we hate that!
  7. Hey guys, my first post but a good time for it, because I just finished doing the Rider Safe course at Oaklands Park today, and passed! (just)

All 10 people today passed the course, although the instructors said that the previous week they had 5 (I assume out of 10) fail...but that usually it's a 95% pass rate. Judging by the number of people stalling, several of us had never ridden before, me included -although I was the only one on a scooter so didn't have the gears to worry about. The advanced course does sound pretty tricky especially given my current wobbles, and again the instructors said it was more difficult and that you probably wouldn't pass without specifically practicing the slow-speed weaving, u-turns,emergency braking etc.

The test is technically easy, although nerves made me about half as good as during the practice sessions.

When I booked 2 weeks ago there was a 2 week waiting time for the course on weekdays, and a 7-week waiting period for the weekend course.

By the way, when I went to Transport SA they said you could get your Learner's permit for 24 months straight away, not just the 9 month one, apparently the laws have just changed around this. None of the booklets etc seem to mention this yet.

8. Congrats on passing - now it's practice, practice, practice...