Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rider impaled on tree branch

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by sonja, Aug 8, 2006.

1. This is why you wear body armour...Idiots.
  2. pretty unlikely most types of armor would help for a puncture wound like that. Unlucky as hell.
  3. Wow. There is someone who is very unlucky and very lucky all at the same time.
  4. Err yes they would. That's the main reason pressure suits were designed. To stop punctures to the chest and abdomen when riding through single trail.
  5. i luv my dinese full body armour, i feel naked in the bush without it
  6. Wow.

Wonder if he'd sell me his dirt bike cheap...
  7. Couldn't agree more. While the suits are ridiculously hot in summer I still wouldn't ride without one.
  8. OUCH! not from the puncture in the chest but for being called "Idiots".
  9. Being impaled by tree branches is a common occurence in off road riding thru the scrub and forest.
    In a race at Lithgow years ago one rider caught a pine tree branch through his stomach, (on a tight, muddy corner, slid out of line) and two hours later his brother impaled himself on the same (albeit now broken and smaller) branch.
    They both survived, but talk about coincidence.

Amongst enduro riders it happens so much as to barely raise an eyebrow.
    In places like Northern Europe, where they race thru pine forests every weekend in the summer ,you can track the bike trails by the broken tree branches.
    It's normally the outer thigh that catches most of the sharp branches, not a part of the body that the off road armour covers.
    Tree branches, cage drivers, yep...they are all out to get us...I am beginning to suspect a conspiracy, even nature is against us.

I do feel however that if one is going to do stunts off road, one should perhaps have a think about where one is landing. :roll:
  10. on a lighter note, i wonder was it his first body piercing? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

very lucky boy indeed
  11. I'm sure they were just innocents on a leisurely nature ride though...

"Whaddaya want with jousting sticks?"
  12. general discussion dumping. should be in multimedia...
  13. Er... why?
  14. sweet god... that was nasty...