Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Rider groups and representatives

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Chillidog, Dec 22, 2013.

1. I've recently been reading random comments in threads about rider groups (particularly in the toy run thread).

Can someone give me a summary of the rider groups in Victoria, provide a link to their website and clarify if people are voted for by members of the group?

I know Jem & Robb are associated with VMC, but how do I join it?

I've seen on Facebook the IRG is asking people to join a collecting details (does that mean you become a member and have input)?

I know there is history with the groups, but I'm new to riding, don't understand the history, see things that piss me off and want to know the best way to get involved.

Thoughts?

2. Hi,

The VMC is a fully incorporated organisation that's members elect the committee.

You can see more here- http://victorianmotorcyclecouncil.org.au

While originally a club of clubs we now have individual membership as well. The link to join is on the site. The individual members will be able to select members to have voting rights at the elections.

IRG as far as I know is not an incorporated organisation at this stage and does not hold elections to select its committee. They do not appear to have a websites but seem to operate through Facebook. See here-
    https://www.facebook.com/IndependentRidersGroup

If you would like to know more about the VMC please feel fee to give me a call on 0400 119 628.

Cheers
    Jeremy Walton
    VMC Secretary

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks Jem.

Couldn't see the membership form for the life of me.

Will fill out the form and send my $5 tomorrow.

4. For completeness, the other rider rep group is Victorian Scooter Riders Association. The VSRA is made up primarily from four scootering clubs. I believe the clubs are incorporated but I personally don't know whether the VSRA is.

Just as an aside, yes I am involved with the VMC but I don't post as the VMC on NR. If I do post a VMC related topic, it's very clear that that is what I'm doing. Otherwise I'm participating like the rest of you, yes, sometimes robustly. lol

At any rate, I'm sure the IRG reps will be along shortly to talk about the IRG.

5. Thanks Rob.

Like Rob when I post on here it is me as an individual except when I sign off as VMC secretary.

In which case it is clear that the post is from me as the VMC Secretary.

Cheers Jeremy

6. Thanks Rob.

All makes sense, I was confused by references to MRAA and reading the VMC website I thought it was a club of clubs but could not find any other clubs, Jem cleared that up for me.

7. Good questions to ask Chillidog. It's certainly a lot easier to find IRG if searching and taken at face value, they are the ones doing something, at least publicity wise anyway.
    Finding how to join VMC is a journey, member groups(?), links to MRA Vic lead back to VMC with no explanation where MRAV is/are/went.
    I do know a lot of the history and politics but have not been involved or a member of any rider groups for about 15 years. What I don't doubt is the passion and energy of those involved.

8.  Top
  9. Perhaps the issues of the difficulty of finding VMC membership page and getting the information raised here is something the VMC needs to address.

Probably another thing that needs to be said is that the VMC (from my perspective) has been working hard to build credibility with government so that they can influence policy/proposed legislation before it is set in concrete. In this sense it is probably more of a quiet achiever than some other organisations which may get more publicity because they are more vocally reactive.

As an example the VMC spent a huge amount of time in submissions before the parliamentary inquiry into motorcycle safety, successfully countering the claims and proposals of various government agencies. Without its efforts, there is little doubt the outcomes would be a lot more unfavourable for riders and for the future of motorcycling.

I for one am very happy wit the work VMC have dong and I am happy to have them continue to represent my interests into the future

Since people are declaring interest I am not directly involved in VMC but belong to BMWMCCVIC which is a member club.

• Like Like x 2