Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rider down - prelearner course at 15km/h

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by livingstonest, Jul 11, 2005.

1. did my prelearner course and fell down going really slow, which suprised me. that day was the first time ever on a motorcycle but i think i learned valuable lesson - don't touch the brake whilst in a turn. i've been riding mountain bikes for a long time so the habit is hard to break.

newbie question for you guys though....the instructor goes under no circumstances am i to brake while i'm turning.....so does that mean that if u guys are in a turn then you are committed at that speed until you finish the turn? and if that's the case then does that mean that in a turn should something cross your path then the only option is avoidance as in steer away? or can i actually use the break gently??

just wanna clarify this cause its just so different from cycling.

2. The way my insructor explained it was that your tyres can only do so much at any one time, so it's not that you can't brake whilst turning, if you need to brake hard, you need to straighten up to do so.

Think about it in an increment of ten. When you are going straight you can brake 10 out of 10. When you are slightly leaned over you can only brake at 7 out of 10, with the other 3 out of 10 being used to keep you on the road. When you are really layed over, 1 out of 10 is the best you can hope for.

When it is wet, the tyres are working harder keeping you on the road, so the proportions are lessened.

It is far easier (and safer) to get your speed right before you go in to a corner than it is to try and wash off speed in the middle of it.
  3. yeh they teach u that when learning, but by the time u
    got for your license they'll test you on breaking in turns
    as well
  4. IF in mid turn and you do need to stop you do what is known as an emergency stop, stand the bike up and apply your breaks in the same way they teach you in a straight line breaking
  5. my wife did the same thing at her q-ride, in a servo, doing 1 kph - grabbed the front brake, bike went slightly off balance - down :( only pride and brake lever hurt though.

braking in a turn can be done, but it affects the ability of the bike to maintain traction, so needs to be done very smoothly, and it also makes the bike want to stand up, which can cause further problems. the best way while learning is definitely to set up a corner speed straight and power out - much easier and safer. anyway practice makes perfect :)
  6. Brake. Not break.
    Braking, not breaking.

Breaking is what happens when you brake mid-corner and throw yourself off the bike. :p
  7. bite me!
  8. livingstonest, i saw a lady do this at my pre learners...grabbed the front brake and almost went down... riding a motorcycle is alot different to riding a pushbike, mainly due to the weight and physics... but the general rule is that you should always be doing the right speed or under when cornering...you'll learn it with practice and its preferred that if you are unsure, just go a little slower around the corner, so what if you hold up traffic, you can leave them for dead when you get more experience!!!

like the others have said, your bike should have enough reflex and manouverability to straighten up mid turn, quickly brake and lean again...

you could always lean more and less throttle if you don't want to brake
  9. that is semi-true. I'd say the problem is that you WILL stop the bike, but
    then it'll be leaned over and you wont be able to get it upright. you're much
    better off using the rear brake gently, but you might have to use more
    throttle to keep the bike going.

when you're going fast, you can use the front brake fairly heavily, but the
    bike will tend to stand up and take you off your cornering line or use
    up your last bit of remaining traction on the front tyre.

the way to stop really really fast is to ease onto the front brake so the bike
    stands up, then apply it HARD until you're at a safe speed to stop or swerve.
  10. by the way, I kinda did that on the licence course too... doing tight U-turns
    for the first time, realised I was going wide so grabbed front brake to stop
    before the cones

lucky 250s are really light so I kinda just lifted it up :)
  11. androo i did exactly that....was first time in 2nd gear so gave it too little gas and almost stalled so at the next pass i made sure i gave it alotta gas and was too much, before i knew it cornering speed was too fast and so was gonna hit barriers.....so stupid me i hit the front brakes hard.....

i'd like to thank everybody for their posts, each one had really good pointers which i'll keep in mind since i'll be getting a bike soon. i just had to know this because i wouldn't wanna have an off on the road with cars and lamp poles!

thanks titania that 10/10 stuff makes alotta sense to me now, very helpful
    and shovelhead i'm sure i'll be holding up traffic just like u told me to, thanks!!

12. They don't test you on braking in turns (at least not in Victoria) - see http://www.motorcycletraining.com.au/license.html
  13. the instructors are teaching you the "BASICS" of riding .
    you will lern to really ride when you are out on the road.

the front brake is exactly that , it stops you
    the rear slows you
    both together and you slow and stop.

i am a back brake junky , i go through rear pads 2;1 3;1 compared to the front .

you will learn as you ride that you can use the back brake in mid corner when you have coming in to hot , to change the line of the bike , standit up etc , but would never use the front in a corner .

listen to what they say , pass your test and you will learn 100 times more while you are out on the road in 1 day than they teach you on the course.
  14. From what I remember of the course you are meant to pick the bike up straight and then brake. Course if you cant, just be very very careful.

Grabbing the front at low speed is kinda different physics (I think). Its more that the wheel stops, turns in hard and the bike gets thrown to the outside of the corner. Bikes are bloody heavy - you have to be careful.