Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rider down in Wollongong .. anyone with info?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ButtNuggeT, Aug 13, 2006.

1. G'day all. Went for a ride today down the coast road to wollongong. Only about 5 mins after crossing the cliff bridge traffic came to a craw untill we got to a beach were cops were diverting traffic through the beach car park. There was a car parked in the middle of the road. My bike was starting to run hot so I pulled over in the carpark to have a smoke and drink. Thats when I noticed the bike up a side street. No sign of the rider, only some of what I think was his gear piled on the side of the road. His bike didn't look to bad from what I could see, it was on it's stand and could see little damage so I can only hope that who ever was riding it is not to badly hurt.

It looked like the car came out of the side street (from the way is was parked on the road). He must have pulled out in front of the bike. Only reason I say it was a he is because there was a guy sitting on the grass being comforted by a few people but he didn't have any riding gear on at all.

So if anyone has any more info can you let me know. Or if anyone knows the rider, please pass on my best wishes and like I said I hope it wasn't anything to bad.

2. Traffic round Austinmer beach is a nightmare at any time, doubly so on weekends, triply so on summer weekends

3. i stoped ( i was on a split road pacific highway so i went up and turned back to get to...) what i thaught was a rider down and his bike in peices looking like wedged between two cars on saturday.

upon arriving i find the bike is not really in bits but just the seat removed and wires hanging out. aparently a blow fuse and rider about to get underway.. ron if yoiur reading i hope you made it to north turramurra ok :wink: .

4. i know the person who was driving the car. dont know much about it yet but i can tell you the rider died im sorry to say.

the guy driving the car was leaving a friends house after staying over night after a party and was turning out of the street onto the main road when the accident happened. he was questioned by police but was alowed to leave and as far as i know was not at fault.

this is all i know right now, i can say the driver is pretty devistated.

5. Hey guys,

Yeah unfortunately the rider died on impact...apparently from a broken neck. A good friends of mine lives 5 houses up from the corner that it happened on. He was a P plate rider who unfortunately has paid the ultimate price.

From what i've been told the driver is possibly facing charges of Manslaughter. The place in which the accident occured has a very clear view both left and right. The driver pulled out directly infront of the rider, i do not know however know if the rider was speeding or not. The street the driver pulled out from sits at a "trench" type of position with respect to the main road he pulled out into, with the road travelling up hill on both sides.

RIP dude....My condolences go out to the family and friends who have lost a loved one....

6. yeah, you would presume that if you pull out from a side street on to a main street, and are hit by something on the main street, then it's you who's at fault - especially if there was good visability.

Hope the driver of the vehicle did not still have alcohol in his blood if he'd been at a party the night before - that would only make the situation worse for them!

RIP to the biker, condolences to family and friends

7. My condolences to the family and friends.

8. :(

Hope his family find some peace.

9. Pretty messed up that it's so easy to happen.

Condolences to the family and friends.

10. I feared for the worst when I saw his gear on the side of the road but wishfull thinking had me hoping that he was ok. Really sorry to hear the news.

All the best to his family and sorry for their loss.

11. And the drivers first words are often SMIDSY....

Wouldnt you rather advocate that you would hope that the police checks are stringent and if the driver did in fact have a blood alcohol reading that was above the prescribed limit then appropriate charges would be laid?
    If any driver or rider considers themselves under the limit and then as a result of an accident is charged with driving under the influence or much worse (culpability), then they should face the consequences.

Ditto from me :(

col....now back under the rock :roll:

12. Absolutely... I'm presuming that the police will have checked the driver as standard for an RTA. Certainly as a law practioner it would be my first question ("were they?... if not why not??")

If the driver has told the police he's returning home after staying overnight at a friends after a party, I would be shocked if they didn't test him - especially in-light of the riders death.

If the driver was still under the influence then more fool him... but for his sake I hope he wasn't

13. Was this Saturday or Sunday because when i rode through Saturday there was a rider down just out of Austinmere. Very heart wrenching...

14. It was sunday mourning.

in regards to alcohol, as a P plater your alowed zero blood alcohol, afaik when there is a death they always check you, and as the guy was alowed to go home i can only assume (with zero knowledge on law) that he had no alcohol in his blood or he would be arrested immediately would he not?

in the drivers defence, i will say he is definately no hoon, a car for him is a means of getting to and from uni for the most part. so whether he didnt look properly, didnt see the rider or the rider came over the hill at warp speed i do not know. all i can say is its a tragedy for the riders family, and something you as a driver have with you for the rest of your life.

15. Yes you should expect do be tested where a death has occured.

In NSW (AFAIK!) if the driver is charged with negligent driving causing death he faces a $3,300 fine and a maximum 18 months in jail for a first office (2nd and subsequent is $5,500 and 2 years)

If he was found to be over the limit (which if he is a p plater will be 0) and is charged with Dangerous driving occassioning death then he faces a maximum of 10 years.

He will not necessarily have been arrested following a positive breath test, the police may delay the arrest to conduct a full investigation.

EVOSTi - if you know the driver then tell him to seek urgent legal advice (if he hasn't already) before making a statement to the police.

If the Police wish to conduct a record of interview he can exercise his right to remain silent and it is probably best only to agree to answer questions in an interview after he's spoken to a lawyer.

If he's a student, tell him to join the uni's student union/guild/whatever - they should have free legal advice available to him.

(This post is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction)

16. ..... but it IS good advice......

Having driven that strecth of road for nearly 40 years, I find it hard to imagine how any driver entering the highway could imagine that he could (or could have imagined that he could) proceed straight out onto the road without slowing at least, if not stopping. As I said in my previous post, it's an infernally busy 100 metres of road at any time, and just impossible on the weekends, especially since the opening of the the Seacliff Bridge and the dramatic increase in tourist traffic..

That said, the death of the rider is a tragedy, and the impact on the driver will be, as noted, long-lasting....

17. I didnt think they actually charge of the breathaliser, they have to go back to the station or mobile van and use the fancy machine.

So if he had blown any reading at all (even if fully licensed) he would have been taken to the station for a proper test not sent home.

18. The initial alcolmeter reading is only used as an indication that your BAC is at a certain level. They aren't relied upon for Court purposes, they are only used as the reason for Police to place you under arrest and take you back to the Police station for a breath analysis. This gives you a proper reading that is acceptable at Court. Police must conduct that breath analysis within two hours of the incident occurring for which you are being tested. i.e. if the incident was an accident that occurred at 11.24am they have to test you before 1.24pm.
    If he was allowed to go home then either his BAC reading on the alcolmeter was zero or it was under his relevant limit.

**note to spelling Nazis - the second 'l' in "alcolmeter" is meant to be there. Funny word eh?**

19. I thought a blood sample was required in such an instance? I did not think a breath test was sufficient evidence, as shown by the Sydney judge who stole his blood sample after the police took him to a hospital to be tested.
    O.K, sorry, the sample "disappeared" around the time he left the hospital..
    I sure hope the driver in this case was not under the influence, it will change his life, as if the whole incident hasn't done that already.
    Also, if I was the poster who knew the driver, I would probably stop posting any details at all. It may harm your friend.

Regards, Andrew.

20. Blood samples are mandatory if you are injured in an accident as the driver & taken to hospital. Police can also order you to undergo a blood & urine sample if they have tested you on the alcolmeter and it comes up negative, but they still hold a reasonable belief that you may be affected by something other than alcohol. This tests for drugs. You can also request the services of a Doctor, at your own cost, to take a blood sample from you if you disagree with the Breath Analysis Instrument's reading at the Police station. Police love it when indignant drunks do this because they invariably end up with a higher reading because the sample is coming straight from your blood, rather than from your breath!
    As for the example you're thinking of, it was the now former state Attorney General Jeff Shaw who was treated at hospital after his bingle (hence the blood sample). The sample that the Doctor took mysteriously disappeared from the locked blood box that all hospitals have where they store the samples until Police attend and collect them & send them off to the lab at Lidcombe for analysis. Later on, after much media attention, the AG finally came good with his vial of the sample and was dealt with accordingly.