Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ride Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Vince, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I am heading to the Gold Coast from Sydney for a buck's weekend.
    I am the proud owner of a Yamaha V Star 650, which just loves the freeways, still on my red P's though....
    I have managed to get a few days off from work, & assuming all is good with the weather, I'll have 2 days to ride up & another 2 days to ride back.

So....which way to go? Up Pacific Highway & back New England Highway, or vice versa?

Any other routes or suggestions? Also any roads to avoid?

2. I recently drove up The New England and back down the Pacific,a pleasant weekend away having a crank rebuilt.I hadn't been down the Pacific for 20 years and it hasn't changed as much as the Polly's would have you believe.Its still single lane in places,passes through lots of towns,60ks zone,has multiple speed cameras and lot and lots of cops.Its a horror.
    The New England is longer,not as good a surface but is a more pleasant run.If I was riding up 2 days wouldn't cut it,For me its Buckets Way,it bit of the Pacific,The Oxley and down the Summerland,etc etc.Thats zig zagging across the Great Divide between the coast and The New England.In leisure close to 3 or 4 days.In a pinch missing some but do yourself a favour and do some of these.
  3. The best way to do it is by doing the least of the pacific or New england as you can.

Look at a map for the roads that are curly and it will be obvious. Planning and exploring is half the fun. If you find the roads yourself you will get the sense of discovery which is one of the best things about motorcycle touring.
  4. If you're just wanting go up a highway and not detour, the Pacific is boring and sleep inspiring. Much nicer scenery up the New England and turn off at Tenterfield or Glen Innes. Nicer country pubs and steaks too.