Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ride side saddle??

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by matt232, Sep 24, 2005.

1. I noticed in the last couple of days (at least the boys did :shock:) that I tend to sit slightly to the left of straight/vertical on the bike......got to thinking and wondered, could this be part of the reason I find lefts easier than rights. And the reason why it feels harder to get into position for a right. (partly ignoring the cramped throttle hand thoery for the moment.)

I've also noticed one other person who prefers left turns also sits slightly ascew to the left.....so my fledgling theory holds thus far.

While I'm tring to correct this habit...I'm wondering:

1. Anyone else noticed that they sit slightly off centre? And which direction and do you have a preferance of corner direction? Do you care?

2. If my half-arsed theory holds any water?

3. Would it have any impact at all on other parts of riding?

2. Could also be that yu're adjusting posisition subconciously to counter the camber on the road, wind or misaligned handlebars etc. Turning preference is normal. Are you a goofy footer (right foot forward) on a surf/skate board or waterski? I am, and find I favour a left turn on all of them as well as the bike. Most people favour right turns but I look at it this way: I'm a goofy footer and Pipeline goes left. 8) Now I just have to get there :? :cry: :LOL:
  3. If that was the case, I'd be skewed right to compensate for the camber.

Been checking it for the last few days to try and break the habit and its always to the left by the same amount....guess I've got a while to re-adjust the location of the butt prints in the seat. :D

distinct possiblity after my whitfield off...but they were straightened so I'd tend to think it wasn't the case...still now that you raise it I might get the bars checked again at the next service.

Right handed/footed and tend to snowboard left first, and my limited surfing experience I was throwing the left out in front but never stayed up long enough to tell if thats the way it was going to work. But based on that...nar don't think I'm goofy footed.

Seany have you noticed any skewing on the seat?
  4. Good point.

Not that then.

Could also be a very slight twist in the forks. Even invisible to te naked eye can make a difference.

Looks like you're a natural foot then.

Actually, I tend to sit more to the right of my seat. I guess that would be compensating for the camber. Could also be because I put more pressure on the outside food round corners, and as said, I prefer to turn left.
  5. Damn it!! There goes my theory in 5 posts!!! :evil:
  6. Not necessarily. In the above activities I mentioned, to turn one needs to put wieght to the inside of the turn.

However, I am an extremely keen snow skier. Having raced at national level, I'm somewhat better at this than the others. The point is that with snow skiing one needs to put the wieght on the outside foot in a turn. I may be transfering this to the bike where as most people might not.

There was a tread not long ago about pivot steering (which is essentially what I do) that suggested by style might be beneficial. Perhaps you could give it a read, then try it out on some twisties. See if it changes your seating position on the ride home.

All that said, is there a problem with your riding? No-ones perfect, but if you're not having any dramas with handling the bike, you might be wasting drinking time by worrying about the bum grooves in your seat.
  7. Never hurts to try and improve, and I've still got some demons to deal with after my off. Then once back at that confidence level I've got to back that confidence up with actual skill.

Wouldn't have much improvement if your reach didn't exceed your grasp, in any case I can think and drink at the same time.
  8. Absolutely right! Life long learning is the key to life. I practice my riding techniques constantly and pray for rainy days to pracice the basics in shit conditions. I was just checking that you weren't getting paronoid about minor details. :)

Having been in numerous car/bike spills, I can say that the confidence does take some time to get back. don't rush it, just take your time and get the feel of everything again before you consentrate too much on perfecting your technique. Get it right first, then perfect it. :D

Congrats on thinking and drinking! I can do both at once too, but when I do one of them suffers. :LOL: :LOL: I can't remember which one. :oops: :?
  9. Can you go pray elsewhere please? :shock: :twisted:
  10. All this technical mumbo-jumbo reminds me of the "pivot steering" thread. Matt - go back to first principles. Do you dress to the left or the right? (Keep the answer to yourself - I don't need to know) My guess is that you're off-centre to adjust for...um...anatomy. (But you knew that, didn't you...braggart!)

And you've solved the perennial problem posed by some of the Netrider sisterhood...ladies, chase the ones that sit most off-centre.

For more information effective cornering techniques and the influence of biology, see John Holmes' seminal video "A Tryst of the Wrist"

11. From all the riders ive spoken too about left and right corners, most like lefthanders NOT righthanders........

remember, if you simply cruise around, then either left of right corners wont bother you much at all, it's when you pick up the speed that you start to relize you favour one over the other.

and Matt , which foot do you place on the ground at the lights?
  12. I prefer left handers...
    and I 'think' the reason is due to being able to see more around the bend on a left hander so you have more room for error for those oncoming cars/trucks that prefer to use up both lanes :shock:
  13. If Chairman's theory's correct, it may not be his foot! :LOL: :shock: :LOL:

(Is that your side-stand, or are you just happy to see me?)
  14. Hey i was trying to be polite alright :p
  15. :shock: :shock: :shock: I grow very concerned because the other rider I refered to in my first post was a "girl" and she was quite noticiably skewed to the left.....

I picked up both A Twist of the Wrist I & II at the Expo taking advantage of the discount they were offering at the superbike school stand.....I also managed to conduct the transaction with someone who could sum correctly so got another $10 off. :D

Which page do they refer to your knackers and cornering technique? :LOL:
  16. Depends on which side I overbalance on (tend to practice my REALLY slow riding whenever I can to try to improve throttle control, balance and feel at lower speeds). But yer I guess I do tend to favour planting my left foot when coming to a stop so you might be onto something there.
  17. The reason i asked was........ ive been riding a very long time and had noticed people sit either slightly left or slightly right on the seat, i also noticed it seems to be the side they place their foot down when stopped.

It seems ya backside slips slightly that way and doesnt return to centre when you lift ya foot back to the peg, i often lift myself clear of the seat when i feel im off centre to the bike and plonk myself back down in the centre.

That remark pushes my point, most chicks have trouble reaching the ground, so they'll slide their backside off the seat more to put their foot down.
  18. Yer I saw where you were going with that and it makes a lot of sense...and definately makes a hell of a lot more sense than I was. 8)

Problem solved....now on with the discussion about tackle and skew.
  19. Ha,sure,thats just you getting back into position on your buttplug you have hidden in your seat :roll: :LOL: :LOL:
  20. But it's the method you taught me :p