Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"Ride-On" tyre sealant automatically repairs punctures?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by friction, Dec 4, 2010.

1. #1 friction, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    In doing a YouTube search for how to repair a puncture, I came across this video:

Basically after putting the automatic sealant in, the tyre pressures starts at 32psi, they then ride the bike over 5 or 6 nails, drill holes into it and so on, and after 10 mins or so the pressure is still 20psi and holding - impressive stuff for someone about to go to Tassie and not wanting to worry about punctures.

I did a search on these forums, and the general consensus (https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=81122) and (https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=89983) is:

- Sealants eat into the rim
    - Can create balance problems
    - Difficult to clean
    - Void's tyre warranty

But, according to the PDF (http://www.ride-on.com/pdf/Motorcycle_Kit.pdf), Ride-On balances the tyre as the tyre spins, so you can actually remove your wheel weights entirely. It's supposedly non-corrosive, is "easily" washed off with just water (after removing the tyre), and all the major tyre manufacturers will honour the warranty if you use their product.

Am I missing something, or at $15 per bottle (tyre) shouldn't everyone be using this?
  2. Ignoring all the fancy tyre stuff... you are going to tassie? :D. Hoping to go there myself for a winter run next year.
    Please post up your travels! (give me a hint about mine :p).

Ok, tyre stuff... sounds neat, wouldnt trust the tyre worth a damn though!
    Probably id stick to the repair kit, or at least have it as backup.
    Sounds fairly suspect on the negatives too.......
  3. I used the Honda snot which claimed all of the above - it balled up and went hard in the tyre and I ended up buying a new wheel as I damaged the old one trying to chisel the snot off... Don't think I'd be game to try again...
  4. Yep - my tyre guy has said if I ever turn up to get a new tyre and have that stuff in there I should find a new place to get tyres.
  5. ROFL maybe not so good then
  6. Ozy post is starting to place this in all of their tyres, or so my HART instructors told me.
  7. Ive been running sealant in my mtb tyres for years and have had nothing but good experiences with it (Stans NoTubes sealant).

The only time you should have problems with the sealant pooling and drying up is if the wheels sit stationary for weeks at a time. It has only ever happened to me with my downhill bike which sits in the shed all winter with home made sealant in the tyres. :)

Homemade sealant is easy to make btw. 1 part liquid latex (from any art/hobby shop) and 1 part water. The water stops it drying up inside the tyre. Works for mountain bikes may not for motorbikes.
  8. mountain bike aint a motorbike
  9. Can't be bothered messing with that stuff, I just carry one of these around in case of a puncture. It'll plug the hole and give enough re-inflation to get me where I need to go.
    Of course that only applies if you have tubeless tyres. :)

10. I'd definitely use it if you're running tubed tyres, I've used it on my BMX bike for a while now and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Australia Post does indeed use it in the tyres on their bikes. I ride for them and every now and then you'll get a tyre go down 5psi or so and when you check it at the end of the day you'll see some slime has saved you a flat tyre. Very convenient and saves a lot of hassle, not to mention potential injury if you came unstuck.

I haven't got any experience with the stuff in tubeless tyres so can't comment on it for them. I have heard nothing but good reviews on the Cargol kits, though.

Cheers - boingk
  11. That's true, but you would think an mtb tyre and wheel would be even more sensitive to the 'cons' of tyre sealant mentioned above considering they are much lighter wheels with much softer, more fragile tyres. I've actualy had a stick go straight through a tyre and lost almost no pressure, just left an ugly white spot where the sealant did it's job.

That said though, I don't run sealant in my motorbike tyres, and don't plan on doing so, and am certainly in no position to recommend it. Just theorizing. ;)
  12. This stuff stinks like cat piss and makes me want to vomit every time I try and change a tyre that contain this shit. I also cant see a tyre manufacturer giving a warranty on any tyre that has had foam or a plug put into it.
  13. I dont know about that white stuff,
    But Zoosh is a good product and it does work, I have used it heaps over the years,

But you only use it if your Miles from nowhere and its your only way of getting back to civilization,
    Other wise use a kango kit, But carry a tube of glue with it as it some times doesnt work with out the glue,
    And if you have multiple punctures in the same spot, the Kangol kit wont work,
    So Zoosh it, it will get you home,
  14. Deadman, how old is this zoosh you speak of, I can't find any info on google? Is it under another name? Cheers.
  15. I have not used that particular product, so I can't comment. In general, using sealants as a precaution, is something I'd consider if I was going to do places where punctures were a big possibility, where I'd be a long way from help, and where I wouldn't be going fast on my sports bike.

Used as an emergency repair / limp-to-help method, I've had mixed results. Sometimes it's worked, sometimes it hasn't. There are several issues with using it. Balance is one. Unsprung weight and additional gyroscopic forces are among the others. Some tyre shops point blank refuse to touch a wheel that's got that poo in it. Others will do it but charge a 'cleaning' fee or something. Some would put a plug in a tubeless tyre, but not if it'd had that stuff in it.
  16. it is called some thing else, but I am not sure what,
    Car accessory places sell it,
  17. Its for emergencys only, when your out the back of beyond,
    Dont use it around town,
  18. Yeah that's what I'm after. Something small as a fix once and get home sort of thing. Those one litre aerosol cans are just to big to fit under the seat.
  19. It makes a right royal mess of their shops when they break the bead. Not to mention the smell.

I've used the emergency cans twice but had a proper plug put in ASAP after. They really hate that stuff...