Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ride like your INVISIBLE or ride to be VISIBLE, Lane Pos

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by da_matrix, May 20, 2007.

?
  1. Take a wide berth to the right because he will run you over when he gets the chance

100.0%
  2. In the middle for maximum visibility of yourself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My title probably does make much sense, fooled u people into reading this :LOL:

I was just wondering when over taking a cars from the right hand lane where would you position yourself?

And on a side note, where do you position yourself in general on the right hand lane?

I tend to stick to the left so drivers don't settle next to me (in the lane left of me).

2. Your right. It doesn't make much sense :p

I usually stay in the left of the lane so I am visible in their mirror then drift to the right as i'm passing.

3. In traffic I'm not so full on, but if its a road with few people I sit on left side of lane (right in his mirror), wait a few seconds to give him a chance to see me, then drift to right side of lane to power past fast. I've come to close to being merged into by staying in the middle of the lane, if you're in the right side you are in a much better position to brake back or accel forward (mainly due to the fact that you're less likely to be dead already).

4. Whichever side I feel will most traumatise the driver into a wakeful state.

5. spread all over his bonnett?

6. :WStupid: +1 to what woodsy said.

7. Be careful.. So many cagers wouldn't notice them if you sat in their mirror 10 10 minutes, doing 1st gear in a 60 zone with no pipes on.. But seriously, if they dont look properly, by the time you realise whats going on, you are run over.

8. If you are riding close behind someone, position yourself so that you can see their eyes in their rear view mirror - try to make eye contact. Give a quick flash with the high beams if they still don't seem to realise you are there. Give another flash into the drivers side mirror as you go to pass and make sure you have plenty of clearance when passing so that you can pull in if anything presents itself coming the other way.

Do all of that and no, they still haven't seen you.

9. That would seriously piss me off if someone was flashing in my rear view mirror especially at night.

How do you know if they know you are there or not?

10. It would probably piss most people off but, doing this is actually suggested in the Victorian Road Rules & the Australian Road Rules, see below:

218. Using headlights on high-beam

(1) The driver of a vehicle must not use the vehicle’s headlights on high-beam, or allow the vehicle’s headlights to be used on high-beam, if the driver is driving—
    (a) less than 200 metres behind a vehicle travelling in the same direction as the driver; or
    (b) less than 200 metres from an oncoming vehicle.
    Penalty: 3 penalty units.
    Note High-beam and oncoming vehicle are defined in the dictionary.
    (2) However, if the driver is overtaking a vehicle, the driver may briefly switch the headlights from low-beam to high-beam immediately before the driver begins to overtake the vehicle.

11. Probably from the sudden application of brakes when they find themselves blinded....lol. :grin:

12. so that's why we have that little trigger labelled PASS on the left index finger.