Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ride for convenience...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by snake, Nov 4, 2010.

1. So just a bit of a rant really as I simply don't understand some people. I recently sold my bike (CBF250) to get an upgrade. I had a lot of people interested in the bike and had conversations with all of them. I saw a very streong pattern developing with why they want the bike. I would get excited about how it handles on bends and how solid it is to do short trips on etc, the repsonse I would get is "I'm only buying this to ride to and from work, other than that I don't want to ride it" or "I have no interest in riding other than commuting"....WTF!!

This may be me being cynical here but does anyone else get annoyed by this? Or fine it weird?

Luckily the guy who bought the bike wanted it to "not just get to work on"...

Enough of my rant...
  2. Probably bound to see more of this as it is a cheaper way of commuting and people are moving away from larger vehicles. So for many, their only motivation of getting a license is cheaper commuting...

The only positive to take from it is that it means more bikes on the road, more awareness of bikes and more people who would otherwise only be in cars, have experience from the bike POV.
  3. How is it any different to only buying a bike to ride in the hills?
  4. Because they arent riding for enjoyment...
  5. To each their own... I need to get my bike on the market and sold quickly (lining up an upgrade) - I couldn't give a flying fig whether they just want it to get from home to work and back again - I just want to sell it! Besides, it's a GS500F {any takers?}
  6. There are many paths to enlightenment, grasshopper.

This was also my way. I only ever got my first bike to commute. But once the bug bites...

By next year they could be on a pilgrimage to The Island.
  7. That's your problem mate. No one in their right mind would choose to ride one of those for enjoyment.
  8. Its someone elses bike now. Get over it. Move on. Move up.
  9. Same here.

I started on a scooter 4 years ago after recognising it was a cheap commute.

Today I am picking up my new Shiver 750 (woo hoo). It will still have commuting duties but will make for an excellent weekend toy.

There will be many more to follow in the "I started riding to commute and now it is so much more" vein.
  10. Still riding a Spada Lilly?
  11. I dont see a bike as more convenient that a car, with a car all you do is get in, go, and park at work (provided you have plenty of staff parking). Theres no gear to lug around, no prep time, and you get out with your nice suit nicely straight and dry.

The only positive for me on a bike going to work would be cheaper petrol and allot more fun (and sometimes faster in traffic).
  12. No, not really. Once upon a time, back in the '30s/'40s/'50s and maybe into the '60s, this was perfectly normal in the UK and, I'd assume, Australia. In parts of the world, eg SE Asia etc, it still is. And if you've ever ridden a Villiers engined Brit, or a Honda CG125 you'd realise why noone would ride one for pleasure if they had the option of anything else :D.

I've no problem with it, because the more people are on bikes and scooters, the more normal it becomes. Large minorities are much harder to persecute than small minorities. There is evidence (sorry, no reference) that people who know riders are less likely to be involved in SMIDSY's. Bigger markets for gear and accessories mean more competition and lower prices.

I can honestly see no real downside to having more commuting riders. It could be argued that those with no interest in the pursuit other than commuting will be less skilled and so will crash more, thus lumbering us with more "safety" regs. This may beb the case but I'd need to see some hard evidence from OECD countries (eg France, Spain, Italy, where PTWs for transport are more widespread) before I'll accept it. From what I can see, "enthusiast" riders are quite good at wiping themselves out spectacularly anyway.

Bring it on, I say.
  13. You honestly get annoyed at them for not wanting to go on rides for their own sake?

Just wanting to make commutes and errands more fun and less chore seems kinda... normal.
  14. Wouldnt say annoyed after reading everyones comments, more confused...but I guess after they ride for a while they will realise.

I love starting threads like this!
  15. Funny, I tend to think of most riders as commuters and cattle anyhow. Especially the ones that sit in traffic.

16. 80% of them will definately be looking for excuses to go to the shops within weeks despite what they said, eh. >_>

I sure was... though I wonder, are Blue Mountains roads just more fun to errand-ride on than most suburbs? (Straight roads are the exception)
  17. No actually, I sent it to the grave. And I will defend my riding of the spada as the two bikes are quite different.

That wasn't intended to offend btw, just that the bike is designed to be a cheap commuter. People looking to buy a cheap commuter will look to something like that first.
  18. Let them commute, better for me on the weekends, don't have to sit behind them looking for a pass :)
  19. Same mate, I was just digging.
    I would never promote the CBF as a superbike :)
  20. Put a turbo on it...