Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ride day with HART instructors - Sunday 10th April 2011

Discussion in 'VIC' started by danny_tb, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Calendar entry: watch this space...

Yarra Ranges and Whittlesea Councils are holding instructed rides to help the motorcycling community to become safer riders. Instruction is by Honda Australia Rider Training (HART). Bookings are essential!

The rides are grouped into small groups of riders of similar skill level. The full day course is advertised as $75, but I've heard that there may be some bookings available at a lower cost. ;)

The ride on Sunday 10 April is the Reefton ride, organised by the Yarra Ranges Council. Unfortunately, this ride is not open to those who are still on their learner permits (learners, please check out the ride on 20 March instead).

For information, please contact:

Mark McGuire on 1300 368 333 or m.mcguire@yarraranges.vic.gov.au

Michael Lamers on 03 9217 2344 or michael.lamers@whittlesea.vic.gov.au
  2. I've booked in for this one. Looking forward to it! Anyone gonna join me?
  3. Yes, definitely in.
  4. Yes the reports from people who have done these is a+

I'm also doing RFTH.

Sent from outerspace using Tapatalk
  5. I did one of these last year. I found it was mainly what you learn at the learner's course. Lots of road craft and what to wear etc. They group you according to how powerful your bike is. At one I did, all 250cc and cruisers were grouped together. They teach enter wide and exit wide. You get a go at following them and then they follow you and give you feedback. They work their way through the pack. You also sit through a long lecture before and after the ride. You get a bag of promotional material. They have lots of helpers whose job it is is stay on the corners until you get there.
  6. The Shire of Yarra Ranges have been running these rides for years. Well done to Mark from Yarra Ranges..

I rode one of these in Dec 2009, and it was pretty good value. I think it was $75.00 - normally this sort of training (from accredited trainers, HART do these) would be around $200.00, so the Councils are subsidising this pretty heavily.

If you book-in through the City of Whittlesea it's currently only $50.00.
  7. I'll be looking into this one danny, they aint there on the weekend though, so will have to book in on Monday.
  8. but miss snail ? > enter wide, stay wide till you see the exit, exit tight.

75 bucks top value.

just curious though, it is impossible to ride those roads without police harrassment nowadays. does the HART group get an exemption ?
    do they have a pass for the day or something, how does this work ?
  9. If anyone wants to go on this ride, they'll need to contact Mark McGuire on 1300 368 333 or m.mcguire@yarraranges.vic.gov.au ASAP. Forms have to be returned by this Thursday.

10. It would be great to see lots of riders doing this, but unfortunately all I foresee is police harassment for the group.

Let us know how you go..
  11. I don't think there will be because it's organised by the council for a safety campaign...
  12. I'm booked in for this one, hopefully will be good value. I figure that for $50 you can't really go wrong. :)
  13. I wanted to go on this, but its not for learners and I go for my full license 3 days later... :furious:
  14. I did one of these rides about 2 years ago good fun and a nice part of the world to ride .full day with about 4 or 5 stops along the way and lunch in marysville a couple of tips from the harts guys for the riders that needed them

Not really an instructional ride as such

two groups riding at a good pace worth doing if you don"t ride up that way much '
  15. I doubt they get an exemption, on all the paperwork it states that we're to ride within the law. I presume the police would be aware of the ride, but I can't see any reason for harassing us.

If the police had any nouce, they'd get behind this as a way to reduce crashes & increase rider skill... Although that does go against vicroads/tac/vicpol "Speed kills" propoganda...

I'll let you know next week I guess.
  16. within the law dose'nt exactly allow the riding of a motorcycle through the spurs.
    45 degree angle law
    exhibiting acceleration law
    no overtaking slower vehicles on solid white line.
    and you don't need to be speeding to break any of the above.

though i do hope they get a great day and are allowed to learn without being harrassed.
  17. When I went no problems with over the top policing we had the Ulysses club doing the corner marking And the MFB motorbike along for the ride . But that was 2 Years ago so things may have changed
  18. Ulysses Club have never done the corner marking although some marshals may be Ulysses members. The MFB bike is there sometimes because the guy who rides it works for the MFB and he is also a volunteer marshal. The bike is not there in any official capacity.
    I've done between 20 and 25 of these rides as a marshal and there has never been any Police harassment of the group. There is no "permit" or other arrangement with VicPol we vary rarely even see them on the rides and when we do I guess because the various groups are riding sensibly and within posted speed limits the police have no reason to worry about them.