Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ride Day brake pad question

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by northerner, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Very excited to be going to my second ever ride day this weekend at Eastern Creek! :bannanabutt:

Quick question on brake pads though - the eastern creek website says:

What exactly will they accept? I mean mine are ok, but will probably need replacing soon. Mine don't have any wear markers on them but there is probably about 3mm of pad left. Do you think this would be ok?

Maybe I take a new set with me so that I can change them on the day if they are not happy?? But then the whole 'wearing your brake pads in' comes in - would you happily slap on a set of new pads and then go out on the track? :-s

Any thoughts/opinions welcome,

Cheers,

Graham

2. :? Silly unclear clause. 3mm is enough for every day riding, but low brake pads experience brake fade more quickly than fresh pads and I expect you'll be doing a lot of braking on the track... have a think about that.

3. You'll be fine with 3mm...

4. How close is 3mm to the minimum pad thickness for your bike?

5. Thanks for all the feedback - jd, minimum thickness according to the manual is 1.5mm. So I guess the question is how much will I wear off during a ride day...

I might get some more just in case - even if they're ok for the track day the likelyhood is they will need replacing very soon after.

Cheers,

Graham

6. I killed my disks at broadford partly because i had old shitty (but in spec) pads on.

If i were you not only would i replace them, but I'd ebay some HH EBC pads or something similar, give you better braking and a better day.

Although having said that, you could just leave them and I'm sure they'll be fine!

7. when you replace your brake pads,change the brake fluid also, heavy braking can boil the brake fluid and then you get brake fade,,

8. Good point tipart!

9. Cheers guys.

I ended up getting new Ferodo sintered pads - not probs with fade.

Was an awesome day!

Cheers,

Graham