Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ride briefing, checklist wanted

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by arc, Oct 30, 2010.

1. What do folks feel is mandatory &/or a good idea for a ride leader say at the rider briefing? Canvassing the collective wisdom to put together a check-list.

2. Checklist:

Bike? Check!
    road? Check!
  3. our lot give an outline of the route, where the stops will be, distances between stops and which ones will be near petrol stations (some bikes have small tanks). we corner mark so a run through for new comers, introduce the tail rider, tell them if they pass the lead rider they are on their own. tell them whatever overtaking rules you have (we don't allow overtaking on the inside). we don't ride in formation so someone says that. tell everyone ride at their own pace and to enjoy themselves.
    also we remind everyone their licence is their responsibility and off we go. this might sound a bit officious but they are big rides (40+ bikes)
  4. It does sound officious, true.
    I presume most of your rides are around capital cities where there's a preponderance of intersections and not many corners?
  5. Few basic hand signals (not everyone realises what they mean) that everyone recognises is handy in the few big (10+ riders) ones ive been on.
  6. Don't do anything Dangerous in order to stay with the group.
  7. In order to protect the ride leader you should say the standard "Ride at your own pace, do not feel obliged to keep up, the TEC will watch out for you & this is a group of friends out for a ride you are responsible for yourself"
  8. First one there wins. Go!
  9. Arc! I was thinking of asking a similar question! (but particularly on a Learner's ride theme, for obvious reasons.)

Considering the Sunday ride tragedy we had recently, I think its a great idea to tell everyone to grab a buddy and shoot them a text to swap numbers - check for them at every stop and let them know if you are leaving the group.
  10. For the club I ride with, it depends on who is on the ride.

We generally give a quick plan of the ride at the monthly meeting. We then email the planned ride to members a week or two before the ride. So everyone should already know what the basic plan is. But, if I've planned the ride, I usually just remind people of the plan on the day and let them know if there are and changes to the route or any hazards that I know off, then we leave.

If we have any newbies on the ride then we tell them what the basic plan is. We tell them to ride at their own pace and that while we have a lead rider feel free to go past them if you're confident about where we are going, otherwise just follow me.

If they are real newbies and haven't ridden in a group before we tell them about riding in a staggered formation etc etc. But, we also explain to them that once we get to the twisty bits, forget about riding in formation and spread out a bit more because basically it's every man, woman and child for themselves. Ride at your own pace. If you fall back, don't worry we'll wait for you at the next turn off or re-grouping point. If you go in front, then wait for us at the next turn off or re-grouping point, but if you get lost, you're on your own.

As for tail end Charlie, someone usually volunteers at the begining of the ride, but we try to share it around a bit during the ride. If it's the usual bunch then TEC is whoever leaves last. But, again if there are real newbies on the ride we put one of the more experienced riders at the back and tell the newbie not to worry because 'Joe Blow' (who ever is TEC) will keep an eye on them.

Most of all we try to be relaxed and have a good time. If you want to go a bit faster, then that's up to you. If you want to go a bit slower, then that's up to you, ride at what ever speed you're comfortable at, no pressure. If you want one of us to watch you closely and give you some tips, that's also cool, but I'd rather not do 'mentoring' on a club ride. I'd rather organise a special ride for that.

I should point out that we usually only get up to 10 riders on any given ride, so it's not that hard to control. On the odd occaison that we've had 15 or more we've actually split the ride in to two groups, we've just found that so much better for all concerned.
  11. It depends on the group. With friends, the destination is enough and we know how we ride and we automatically corner mark when needed.

If leading an NR group ride, the ride brief contains all the suggestions and maybe more.

If the ride leader sets the tone, the group will follow and tolerate silliness less.

The buddy system is a great addition to the group etiquette.
  12. boy.racer have you ever participated in an organised group ride that hasn't been just a few mates?

I'm not a fan of corner marking because I think some groups become over reliant on it, often to the detriment of the riders at the back.

However, when you have a large group, I'd say 15 or more, and you have to negotiate a number of intersections, corner marking is a useful tool to make sure no one gets lost.

It is also important to ensure that you have known re-grouping points and that no one leaves the re-grouping point until everyone is accounted for.

However, my preference for large groups is to split them in to smaller more manageable groups, but this isn't always possible.

As mentioned before, my club don't do the corner marker thing. If we get that spread out, we all stop and wait for everyone to catch up.
  13. This is not a club
    This is an internet forum.
    Any group rides are at your own risk each group operates differently.
    I personally only ever ride with my friends as a group and no one else.
    Large group rides run by an internet forum, particulalry if there are a lot of novices is a recipe for disaster.
    This place isn't called Netcrasher for nothing. The dubious reputation was well earned for all the wrong reasons.
  14. Yeah. It was ****ed. Nice big train wreck of heroes and know-nothings trying desperately to get from A to B without hitting too many walls.

It would have been an embarrassing sight. And the thing about it was that it was a magnet for learners/p platers. What a shit way to learn how to ride.

Recipe for disaster, I don't get why people consider large group rides entertaining. Cynic in me says showoffs need an audience.
  15. Everyone has their own opinion based largely (if not solely) on their experience. I have ridden with some groups that I WILL NOT ride with again. But there are others that I would, and do, gladly ride with regularly.

I do agree that large group rides aren't a good way to learn. If learning (or mentoring) is on the agenda then a small group of no more than 5 bikes is about the limit.
  16. Any large group ride with a lot of novices is a recipe for disaster regardless who has organised it. Most Toy Runs fall in to this category, a bunch of learners/novices mixed with a bunch of show of wannabe's has the potential to not end well.
  17. And yet, if you go to the 'welcome section' you've got people actively encouragin learner riders to go on these things. Like putting a bunch of wobblies on the same road is a good idea as long as you have a couple of older blokes with them.
  18. Not a good idea and no wonder netriders has the reputation it does.

We had a couple of novices turn up for a club ride last month. Fortunately there was only 6 (including them) on the ride and it was only a short one. After the ride I suggested that either myself or one of the other members take them out on a back road, away from everyone else, one weekend and give them some tips and help them with their confidence. Then in a few months they might be ready to join in on a bigger ride.
  19. Well coming from a learner point of view, I consider the groups rides as a blessing. Sure I could go out and ride some roads on my own, but I think that only hampers ones learning. I have the belief that to get better at something, its not just practice you need, you also need to push yourself, out of your own comfort zone if required.

What would I have learnt from riding around on the highways and through town in 6 months? Absolutely nothing past how to start and stop.

When I got my bike, I hadn't even heard of the "Black Spur", or knew of anywhere "twisty". Even if I knew where they were, I probably would have taken the twisties rather slowly because going on these solo, what if something happened? I could have been left down a bank or in a ditch to die. At least on the group rides I knew that if I didn't turn up at the next meet point, people would have at least gone back and had a look (I hope). That in itself provides a level of comfort allowing learners to push themselves that little bit harder than if they went solo.

Once I have collected all the experience I need, maybe I too will end up in the same cynical boat as you lot. Then again, maybe I would prefer to pass on any knowledge I have gathered to the next lot of learners.