Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riddells Creek Newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Goldenberri, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I’ve finished lurking and reading and have just bought my first ride. A Honda CB125e, which I know is lightweight, but so am I at 5’1” and it’s going to be a good starter bike for me until I get some experience under my belt. I’m hoping to make a Ninja 300 my next ride as I can actually reach the ground on one, but I didn’t think the riding position was a good one for me to start with.

I’m lucky enough to have bought my ride from a very experienced rider (who bought it for his OH) and because he lives reasonably close by has offered his support. As a bonus he is also teaching me how to maintain my own bike! But it will be great when I step up to something freeway worthy hopefully later in the year.

A big thank you to members for the wealth of information that stopped me from making some newbie mistakes and caused me to be a bit sensible about the this brave new world.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Hi yah Goldenberri, I almost got the CB125 as my first ride. Lot to be said for a small light bike for the complete newb. Honda won't let you down either. Out and about finding the best roads around Riddells. Then the marathon down to Saturday Elwood comes gathering.
  3. Thanks Al Cam! Started this venture thinking that an XV250 was my future bike due to seat height, but although it felt like I was sitting in an armchair, I didn't think it would be a good starter for newbie manoeuvring.
  4. Ah so many bikes, so little money.
    Low seat is damned nice when you are starting. After nearly 2 years riding went out last night, way to tired and in a foul mood. Came to a stop put foot down way to casually and slipped. Nearly dropped it.
  5. Hi and welcome. Is that a bke shop in your main street? Looking forward to seeing you on a group ride sometime soon. Enjoy the CB.

6. Nearly doesn't count. :) Glad to hear you didn't drop it!
  7. Hi Ned, it's a strange place. Used to be stock feed/farming/hardware shop. Now its more a mower shop.
  8. I thought it might have a few bikes in there. I'm only just down the road from you so if you're up for a quick local ride sometime, Mt Macedon and surrounds, let me know. This weekend is out as I'm taking a group to Bright. Hope you can be part of another learner ride in the future.

9. Welcome to NR... I'm a newbie too based not too far from you.

You have some great roads to practice on but be careful!
  10. welcome aboard :]
  11. Ned, that would be great. Have lots of fun this weekend!

DonJuan, yes, great roads to practice on, but tricky tricky as well.

Jeffco, thank you for the welcome.

12. Welcome to the forum and a lifetime of addiction!
  13. Thank you George!
  14. Welcome aboard.
  15. Uncle Doug must be asleep.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Thank you Hyperspex. It's great to be here.

Who's Uncle Doug?......
  17. Welcome Goldenberri, You have a good coffee shop there I know. :) A friend is with your local CFA so I often call in for a coffee there if I am riding out that way.
  18. Ok, which one Chris??
  19. I think he means Uncle Greg.
  20. Welcome to NR!! Looking forward to seeing you out at one of the practice sessions or rides in the near future!