Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rhok Kevlar Jeans Vs Normal Jeans.

Discussion in 'Pants' started by Clayt0nB, Nov 2, 2012.

1. TheGardenSnake, a guy in america who does motovlogs on his DRZ400 recently posted a video about kevlar jeans.
    In the video he sets up a rig and drags both kevlar jeans and normal jeans along the road to see the damage differences.

Check it out for yourself.

He is a pretty hilarious guy and I recommend checking some of his other stuff out too.

- I take no credit for anything -
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Hahah yeah I just saw that on reddit... Well done @Takamii
  3. Did I mention one time when I went for a 10 metre slide with a 202 kg bike resting atop my right leg?
    The denim covering the knee was shredded, but the armour and kevlar were intact. No damage to my leg whatsoever. Rhok saved it, and the day.

Two months later, a driving instructor ensured that was rectified. But that's a tale for another day …
  4. Do tell. Everything I see in regards to kevlar jeans is either "They saved my life" or "They are completely sht." Even when they are both talking about the same pair of jeans.
  5. I'm sceptical that test rigs simulate real world conditions sufficiently closely to be in any way meaningful. Having crashed in both normal jeans and Draggins I'm of the opinion that random chance has more effect on what happens to your lower regions than the presence of a layer of kevlar.

In my own crashes, wearing reasonably heavy conventional denim, sliding on the road has not destroyed the fabric but has fused and polished most of the surface to a low friction shine, opening only a few pinholes and ladders in the garment. Interestingly enough, much the same happened to the cotton outer shell of my Draggins during a lengthy slide. The kevlar itself was only exposed in a couple of tiny spots and so can be concluded to only have had any effect in those tiny areas. Indeed I received most of my gravel rash where the legs rode up (inevitable when sliding feet first in any jeans type trousers) and where the side seam burst under abrasion due to iffy design, leaving nothing between me and the road.

Funnily enough, the "denim provides no protection" mantra has only gained currency since kevlar jeans first became available c1990 (at which time they cost as much as a moderately good pair of leather strides), leading me to believe that it's more a result of kevlar manufacturers' propaganda than a statement of fact based on the lived experience. Prior to their advent, everyone apart from wannabe racers and hardcore tourers wore jeans for day to day riding and experience showed that, whilst not as good as leathers (obviously), they were not the equivalent of riding naked that they are now made out to be.

That said, I do not put kevlars down as completely valueless. They add another layer between skin and road which is always useful, they tend to be designed to take armour which is a significant help and most are made of good, heavy fabric which provides a degree of protection in its own right. Besides, given that, these days, a pair of good, heavy jeans will cost you as much or more than a pair of decent kevlars, why would you not? I certainly do if I'm planning to ride, although for impromptu trips to the shops I generally won't bother to change.

Bottom line is be careful not to mistake the benefits of good quality heavy fabric for the benefits of kevlar and vice versa.
  6. #6 Beercules, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    i think peoples perceptions on the difference would differ depending on whether they have worn/seen crash's from a range of full leather's, leather pants, kevlar jean's & regular jeans, to people who haven't

short shorts---suck
    jeans--------- better than short shorts but still kinda suck ((no places for padding & impact protection))
    kevlar jeans----is a hell of alot better then the above
    leather pants---are better than both of the above
    full leathers----are better than all three

to somebody who doesn't have the opportunity to wear the leather pants or full leather's has no idea & thus no way to compare but for somebody who's worn jean's previously & then feels the weight/durability of kevlar jeans in comparison & there a god send but u get my point
  7. When I talk about heavy fabric I mean denim, cotton drill and similar. Not corduroy. Corduroy, as well as being criminally uncool tends to leave the wearer with a grass skirt and a tasteful stripey pattern of burned in cotton in even quite minor tumbles :).

Was going to add this as an edit but there now appears to be a time limit on the edit function.