Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RF900 Streetfighter!!!

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Hicksey11, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hey Guys and Gals

So I decided not to sell my RF900 after all and have decided to start a project with it instead.
    It will hopefully not get on top of me and I will be able to complete it.
    So what I want to do is turn my ordinary RF900 into a Streetfighter.

I have already started to pull it apart and learn a bit about it, but I need some help with a few things.

I am looking at changing the forks for some later model ones. Probably some GSXR 1000 forks. I was wondering if this can be done and what the advantages would be. Is it worth me doing it??

Also Im not really a fan of the tail end of the RF and was wondering if there are and interchangable tail pieces with other suzuki models. I have seen a picture of a GSXR 750 tail on one??

Your help will be greatly appreaciated and Im sure I will have many more questions along the way. I will post pics on Wednesday as that is my day off.

2. Surprised no one else chimed in, so - go for it! The best thing you could do to the otherwise great RF900 would be to rip the godawful fairings off it.

Pretty much any fork swap can be done, its just a case of difficulty. Some bolt right up, some require a stem bearing change while others need a new stem. I have R1 forks on my CBR900R, which in hindsight was a whole lot more trouble than it was worth. There's plenty of info on the net, as I'm sure you've found.

Worth it? Up to you. You get a set of trick looking upside down forks with adjustable bump and rebound damping. How much is that worth to you?

I very much doubt other suzuki tails are directly interchangable, but again its not hard to modify them to fit. You can try and make the plastics fit yu existing subframe by modifying mounting tabs (which can be hard to get to look right), or you can make adaptor plates to fit the whole subframe off the donor bike.

If I were you, though I'd register it before making any serious mods. Swapping or modifying the subframe and possibly changing the forks require an engineering certificate. They're not super expensive, but they are a hassle.
  3. Some inspiration:

I like, but it needs to be a bit cleaner up where the water pump is. (That's it hanging off the r/h side, I'd seriously look at moving that.)