Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rewiring a headlight flasher switch??

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Davi5678, Jul 4, 2008.

1. How hard would it be to rewire the headlight flasher switch to dim the highbeams whilst they are switched on, but still have it function normally whilst on lowbeam.
    It would be a lot easier to dim the highbeams temporarily when passing oncoming traffic using the index finger as opposed to flicking the switch up and down everytime.
    Basically I'd like the flasher switch to do the opposite of whatever the headlight switch is doing.

2. Short answer: Very hard!
    Interesting idea, I've been sketching circuit diagrams but it would be very difficult/impossible using the standard switches. You'd certainly need to introduce a relay or two, and I suspect you'd have to convert the existing high/low switch to a double pole switch.
    It would be easier to convert the flasher switch as a flip-flop high beam switch, so that each time you operated the flasher switch the beam would change (from low to high, or high to low) like some cars ie.Mitsubishis. The existing high/low switch would then do nothing. That would involve one extra relay.
    Good luck! David.
  3. Thanks!, I'll keep pondering/searching on it.