Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Revving clutch when using front brake. Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by iamahot1, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Hey guys
    I have what I think is an unusual problem. Nearly everytime I use the front brake I end up revving the throttle as well. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to break out of this. I've been doing QRide and I don't seem to have this problem using their bike however I have a cruiser. Don't know whether this has anything to do with it or not but I'm hoping someone might have some advice on what I can do to get around this problem???

thanks in advance

2. Are you using all four fingers to grab the brake lever, or just the index finger and the next, while gripping the throttle with the 'outside' two??? If the latter, half your hand is trying to do one thing and half the other.....
  3. all i can suggest is maybe get out of the traffic and in a lower risk area. As in somewhere where yo udon't need to concentrating on whats around you, just practice on your own bike not twisting the wrist while braking. With less things to think about you can further concentrate on your techinque.... don't know whether thats helpful to you or not
  4. No, I only have my thumb around the throttle. I'm finding it really frustrating. I'm going for my licence in a couple of weeks and I really need to find a way around this. I'm worried that if I don't I may end up hurting myself.
  5. Also look at where your knuckles are positioned on the throttle. They should be positioned so that when you reach for the front brake you automatically roll-off the throttle, if possible look at adjusting the reach on the front brake lever also.
  6. Move/turn your break lever further down towards the ground. Sounds like it is up too high.
  7. If you're not having the problem on other bikes, try to isolate what's causing it. Is it something you're doing or something the bike does? Try the brake when standing still, making sure you are not operating the throttle, see what happens.

Also just try braking with all four fingers and roll your hand forward slightly as you do, making sure you lock off throttle, if it still happens, you have a cosmic mechanical anomaly and time will begin to flow backwards at any moment.

if this happens you will need to replace the flux capacitor.
  8. if you are using the front brake then I am assuming your stopping , if that is the case you should be off the throttle anyway .
    you should be using 4 fingers to brake and only your thimb around the throttle , its a squeezing motion not twisting or pulling down.
    are your brake levers adjusted to your hands.
    most have adjusters that you can adjust the length they are out from the grip , you should be able to comfortably be able to reach the lever with the 1st knuckle of the index finger when its out at full play, any further and you cant get a 4 finger grip.
    also maybe tighten up your throttle a little it sounds like it my be to easy to move .
  9. Michelle if you can tell us at least which state you live in, maybe one of the helpful Netriders might be able to give you some personal tuition. We've got a couple of ladies here who can 'ride the pants of a kangaroo', and I'm sure they'd love to help.
  10. It sounds like your wirst is too high, so that when you brake, you are moving your wrist (and the throttle) down. Try and have your wrist lower, try and have your wrist, the handlebar grip and the brake lever in a straight line. Also, try not to grab the brake with the lowest part of your fingers, as you will have you bring your wrist up to get your fingers that far out, but then will have to come back down again to brake, and accelerate. I recommend that you grab the brake with the front 1/3 of your fingers, as your wrist wont go up when you do that. Practice braking while stationary, and be conscious of wrist movement. See how you get on.
  11. i would think she is in qld considering she is doing the q-ride course :wink:
  12. Get a long ruler or piece of light wood. Sit on the bike in your regular position. If you rest the ruler on your shoulder and down to your wrist, the ruler/wood should follow through to just rest on the brake lever too. If not, adjust/rotate the lever so that it is on the same line as your wrist to your shoulder.
  13. do'h, stewy, sorry about that!
  14. yeah i agree with the others, sounds like you may be pulling down/moving your wrist down when you break.

i don't know if this is correct but what i do is move my 4 fingers towards my thumb. kinda like when you do the hand signal for ducks qwacking. when i do this it turns the throttle off for me and i can feel it locked off at the same time as i'm breaking. keeping in mind that my wrist does not drop/twist at all.
  15. How baggy are your gloves?

I find if I'm wearing looser gloves some times they can wrinkle up in the palm and stop the throttle from closeing properly.
  16. Not that unusual Michelle, it must be a girl thing as Mrs Incitatus did it too. I fixed her by getting her to actively hold the throttle closed against the stop while pulling in the lever. It became instantly apparent that the lever was too high, and too far away from the bars. We adjusted it, and then she just practiced (while stationary) keeping the thottle hard against the stop until the lever was fully in.
  17. thanks. This sounds and looks like it could be the problem. Now this might seem like a stupid question but I've looked at my manual and cant work out how to adjust the front brake lever. Do you know how I would do this?

18. Depends on your bike Michelle, are you riding a 250? Some of them don't have levers that are adjustable for reach, but you can still adjust the angle of the whole lever unit by loosening the bracket that holds it to the bars and rotating it.
  19. revving when stopping

I did this badly when I was learning. Would always get me some unwanted attention from the instructors when they heard one of their mighty CB250s revving it's head off. The instructors on the range said this was happening because my wrists weren't relaxed. I was bearing a lot of my weight on the handlebars rather than using my legs and back to steady myself and this made it harder to control multiples things through my fingers/wrists as there was more going on there. I never managed to get out of the habit of straining my wrists but I have learnt to not rev on braking. On the CBR things are a little worse given the more forward riding position but practice cures most things.

One thing I have done that has some benefits(though reading other posts some people will espouse the pitfalls of this) is that I always guard my brake with my left two fingers, leaving my right two fingers and palm with control of the throttle. I never use 4 fingers on the brake. This seemed to give me more control over the throttle while braking. I also like that it reduces my reaction times as my fingers are already there. Drawbacks are that unless your right foot is always over the brake pedal(mine isn't being tall), in an emergency you may end up getting the front brake on quicker than the rear. Also, if you aren't strong in the fingers, then given your two left fingers are touching the brake lever up near the pivot point, you may have trouble in being able to squeeze hard enough towards the end of an emergency brake when you are really squeezing hard.

When it comes down to it, no matter what you do you will adjust with practice. In testimony to this, back home there was a local golf club member who always did really well in comps but he only ever used a 5 iron and a putter! He just practiced a lot and developed incredible touch and power with the one club.
  20. The main problem here sounds like you dont have enough free play in your throttle cable. Take it along to your local dealer and tell him you want a bit more free play around 3 to 4 mm is good. There is a small adjuster at the throttle end of the cable just back it off a touch. Should cure the problem.