Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reviving the R1

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by [FLUX], May 31, 2006.

1. As most of you know, I sent the R1 down the track at Turn 8 at Phillip Island, on a cold and wet track while still attempting to scrub in a new rear tyre which suddenly let go. Bike was travelling at about 140kph at the time.

Anyway, just as a sort of a project thread for myself, this will be a bit of a work diary about reviving it from its post-crash state.

First, let's start with the aftermath shots.

Smashed headlight assembly, pieces missing from front cowl, heavily scratched mirror, indicator mangled, clip-on bent, hand-grip is torn, bar-end weight heavily ground, as well as clutch lever.

The alternator cover took a very heavy beating. It actually has a slow oil leak.

Top left fairing was heavily ground, and cracked in numerous places. Hard to see from picture, but had worn right through along the top-fold. Can see the main fairing screw which has lost all shape from grinding.

Have no pictures of it, but the instrument/cowl sub-frame had bent about 5 degrees to the right. I used a piece of wood and a rubber mallet to the other end of the wood to bash the sub-frame back into straightness again. Took about 20 to 30 good whacks.
  2. The aftermath continued

Tank got ground a bit too. Nothing major, but enough to take the paint off once the bar end ground down far enough.

Footpeg snapped off. Hard to make out from the picture but the whole peg assembly is bent right back to the swingarm.

Ducktail got heavily ground to the point that it's actually worn through along a line along the fold.

You can also make out the "chicken strips" on the rear tyre here backing up my point that I was taking it fairly easy. A good 4cm chicken strip, followed by a 2cm wide strip of light feathered scuffing, before reaching the main scuffed section, indicating that the bike itself was never leaned more than about 25 degrees at most at any time.
  3. Stripping it down

Stripped the R1 right down to remove everything that needs to be fixed, except for the alternator cover, handlerbars, and the footpeg assembly. Will be replacing the alternator cover and footpeg assembly tomorrow. Am awaiting delivery of a set of replacement clipons. Picked up some replacement hand-grips and indicators.

R1 - fully naked.

...and again, from the left side.
  4. While it's apart, time for some mods...

These arrived in the mail yesterday:

They replace the carby air inlet funnels, seen here:

5. Velocity stacks continued

Here's a picture of the stock items side-by-side with the replacement velocity stacks.

...and here's what the new ones look like fitted to the bike.

So what do they do? They alter the air-flow into the carby's. Depending upon the RPM, the air will stop/start within the inlet funnel. By altering the length and shape of the funnel, you can alter the torque curve because the length of the inlet tract affects the natural oscillation pattern of the air stop/starting every time the engine cycles. A longer inlet tract boosts mid-range, and a short tract boost top-end and may also help a little bit down really low depending upon the harmonics of the air-flow patterns. I chose funnels for boosting 5-10K RPM mid-range torque (redline at 11750rpm), but negatively affecting the power curve slightly right at redline, and again below 4k rpm. I figure it's better to get to your top engine speed quicker (power over time) than to spend it on a small peaky top-end boost that is rarely touched at the expense of mid-range.
  6. This also arrived in the mail

This also arrived.

It's an Arata full-titanium race exhaust system. The whole system weighs in at 4kgs, and that's including the muffler.

I haven't unpacked it yet, and won't until I'm ready to install it, but here's a picture of what's in the box (yes - I checked that it's all there).

Will probably get the chance to install it on the weekend, and will take some happy snaps of it then.

Today I'm off to drop off the tank and fairing pieces for repair. I also picked up a 2nd-hand full set of race-glass fairings, but in a solo-seat road-going format. It's complete with Yamaha blue paint job and road stickers. i.e. it's race-glass but looks just like the stock road fairings except for the solo seat ducktail. I'll be fitting this to the bike once I get one panel which has some scratches on it repaired, and once I get the tank back too.

More to come. Probably expect the next update on Sunday, by which time I will have replaced the alternator cover, the footpeg assembly, and fitted the exhaust.
  7. Ten points for gtting the spanners out while you're still sore... :shock:

My vote: leave it nekkid!
  8. It's actually been quite therapeutic. The left shoulder is still sore, but have regained quite a bit of strength and mobility in the last week, well at least in comparison to a week ago. I can now actually flex the muscles in the upper arm and shoulder, whereas before I couldn't, so it would seem that the muscles are finally reattaching properly. Even been using the socket wrench and spanners with the left arm, and am now able to bear up to about 10kgs of weight on it before it starts to really twinge and complain at me.

Just finished pulling off the radiator and old exhaust system, and my shoulder is feeling pretty sore now, but again, mostly due to the muscles. It's almost like a free physio session.

Still having great trouble reaching out to grab anything with the left arm though. So long as I have the elbow near my chest, it's pretty strong. Get the elbow away from my chest and the strength just drops to near zero.

Yeah, looks alright naked, doesn't it? I do need the fairings though for high-speed antics around PI. I'll probably keep this bike for ages though, and maybe one day it'll become the "2nd bike", and I'll street-fighter it then.

Now to pull out the Arata exhaust and install it. :grin: Thank goodness the whole system weighs only 4kgs, unlike the stock system which yanked my shoulder a bit when I pulled it off, it's so heavy.
  9. Good to see your spirits are still high Cathar :)

Getting some nice hardware I see :wink: retail therpy? :LOL:
  10. Not to take anything away from the stack but isn't turn 8 a mere kink in the road? Wet or not, 140kph on that corner isn't anything at all. Or am I thinking of another turn? Seriously I cant remember but if it is the turn I was thinking about. I'm pretty sure its that one???
  11. I think turn 8 is the right bend (heyshed?) before Lukey Heights? I'm indicating about 220 through there in the dry. So 140 sounds about right in the wet (for a street bike on road tyres).
  12. [IMG:500:265:4413d8f0ce]http://www.hsv.com.au/images/racing/tracks/phillip_island_map.gif[/img:4413d8f0ce]
  13. Yeah, it's known as Hayshed, and depending on drive out of Siberia, in the dry I'll see between an indicated 220-230kph on the R1. Redline in 3rd is 215kph indicated on the R1, and I snick up into 4th at redline in 3rd just before tipping it into the corner. Speedo is a little optimistic though due to a larger rear sprocket (geared 5% lower).

As I said, it was a new rear tyre and I was still scrubbing it in, and was deliberately taking it somewhat easy. I wasn't going particularly fast through Turn 8, even for a wet track, when the tyre just let go very suddenly, just before the apex.

By all rights, it should not have let go. I was leaned over a little further and powering on a little stronger out of Siberia just before it, and had nary a problem. I still don't really understand why the tyre traction just snapped so suddenly, but then again, Turn 8 is one of only about 4 actual right-handers on the track, so perhaps the right hand side of the tyre was still very slippery.
  14. Sorry to see the damages mate.

Quick question, do you get covered by Insurance in this case or its out of your pocket?

15. Yeah true.... Maybe a drop of oil or two.... who knows.... tough luck anyway mate... still look nice when she's rebuilt though!!!
  16. Just finished installing the Arata exhaust system

Got it on! Here's the happy snaps. Quite proud of myself for a one-armed mechanic.

The main exhaust can:

The 4-into-1 collector:

The headers - note the cross pipes between 1&2, and 3&4. Apparantly meant to help out with low-down torque to compensate for the loss of the EXUP valve.

Am really happy with the high-mount system. I like how it compliments the line of the seat sub-frame. The whole system weighs about as much as the Yoshi slip on alone that I removed. The stock headers and EXUP valve weighs a good 6-7kgs, so this system will be cutting about 6kgs off the bike's weight.

Now I need to put the radiator back on, and get the tank back from repair so I can hear how it sounds.
  17. No insurance for being at a track. This is all out of pocket, but with the upcoming tax-bracket cuts in July, it'll all be paid for by those cuts by year's end.
  18. Pretty neat job. You should hold a spanner day for all.
  19. The repair shop called me up to say that the tank and belly-pan were ready to be picked up! Rushed out and grabbed the bits. They did a fantastic job too! Been waiting for the tank 'cos I haven't been able to fire the bike up without it so I can listen to what the new exhaust system sounds like.

So the first thing I did when I got back was to get tank on and fire the bike up.

WOW! The exhaust note is now just so deep and muscular. To be honest I've never been a big fan of I4 exhaust notes, but the way that the bike sounds now, at idle it almost has the timbre of note of my old VTR. Rev it up and it no longer has that higher pitched rattly edge to it that it had with the old exhaust headers on it. In fact, despite being noticably louder than before, it is less edgy and annoying because of the depth of the note.

Am most pleased with the Arata system. Am unsure if just a slip-on would achieve the same effect though, I really feel that it's the headers that went a long way towards achieving the final effect.

I am now still waiting for my replacement screen, oggy knobs, stand bobbins, and indicator inserts. Been waiting for 5 weeks now for them. Frustrating to be so close to completing getting the bike back together, and yet still be waiting for bits and pieces that should've arrived ages ago. At least the on-line shop hasn't charged the credit card yet though, so they haven't tried pulling that trick on me.

(* Cathar mutters something about on-line stores that are happy to take your order and then make you wait 6-8 weeks to get the items in stock, but never tell you in advance that it'll take that long. *)
  20. Wow, very nice work man.

I definately like the look of the bike naked.

The new exhaust looks fantastic too. Nice work.