Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reviving my GSX250F after a year

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Wazza19, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

I am looking at reviving my 97 Suzuki GSX250F Across after it has been sitting in my garage for about a year. I am just wondering what kind of work i need to do to get her up and running.
    I have had a quick read and a few people are saying i will need to remove and clean out the carbys.. I don't have a mechanical background and just wondering if this is a good idea for me to do personally.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, looking forward to jumping back on and hitting the road.

2. Change of fluids might be a good start.

Any petro in the tank might be a bit sass and might be worth changing. Also drain Darby bowls in case their is crud or off petrol in them.

I'd be pulling the plugs giving a good squirt of oil Dow each cylinder and turning it over with the plugs out to ensure the oil was liberally over all the surfaces which might otherwise be dry. Just check whether your ignition leads need to be earthed first. Some spark systems don't like an unearthed plug and tell you about it with a fail of costly parts.

Battery may not be too good after that time and may need replacing.

Then I'd fire up and see what happens. What could possibly go wrong?
  3. Given that you have limited mechanical background, my first step would be to try and find a workshop manual for your bike, will help you heaps with things like cleaning carbs and what not.
  4. Fresh oil, fresh fuel, fresh coolant, fresh plugs. Charge or replace the battery.
    A little oil (like a cap full) down the plug holes as mentioned and turn the engine over by hand if possible with the plugs out to distribute it around the bores before putting the plugs back in. Open the drain screws on each carby and make sure to get rid of any old fuel and that the fresh stuff is coming through and you might be lucky. If not they'll need to be pulled off and cleaned properly.
  5. Pulled a similarly aged bike out of a barn!
    -New battery
    -New oil + filter
    -Flush cooling system with new coolant, premixed stuff is fine.
    -New brake fluid, clean the caliper and inspect pads while your at it.
    -Replace tyres, old ones may have solidified
    -Drain and flush the tank, replace fuel filter (if fitted).
    -New spark plugs, or at-least take them out and inspect

Hold off worrying about tearing the carbs until you have it running. Fill it up with clean premium fuel and put half a bottle of carb cleaner through it. Ride it for a few hundred km and see how it goes. If you have the airfilter off and bike running, spray some carb cleaner spray through the air intake.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'll agree with Nicholai_Chev's checklist. Don't under estimate old tyres. We've only got 2 to keep us alive, so check the side walls and between the treads for signs of cracking. Also check the date stamps (codes available on the web). Older than 6 years then replace them. Tyres are a lot cheaper than a funeral.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mate, it is a Suzuki 250. If I were you I would put new petrol in, check the oil and replace it if you want to be kind, recharge or replace the battery and off and away. I had a 15 year old 250 suzi in my mates garage for 9 months - all I did was check the oil, then get him to push / clutch start me so I could do a charity run. All was sweet after that. It's a Jap 250, what is there left to say? Except tyres, if they are no good / too old replace them - and make sure it has oil.
  8. Hey guys
    Thanks for all your comments I've been a bit lazy but decided I'd give it a crack this weekend.
    Tyres were almost completely flat, gave them a bit of air so we'll see how they go. I can't see any cracks or any visible damage although I was told that they can look fine but would have hardened and will be unsafe especially in the wet..
    Front brakes seem to work fine but pressing down on the back brakes have no effect!
    Any ideas?
  9. That could be from the piston or the slide pin (or both!) being seized. It might just take a bit of pushing around by hand to free things up or it might need a full rebuild, can't really say without looking.
    As for the tyres, pretty much assume you need new ones. The old one MIGHT be ok, but new ones WILL be ok. The last couple of times I came off was from the front end sliding out, and trust me you do NOT want to do that. If the tyre actually fails mid corner (kinked internal belts or weak spots from sitting flat) ... yeah, you're gonna have a real bad day, worse than just a slide.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. check the chain you don't want it breaking an whipping up at 80km/hr
  11. When you take the caliper off to inspect the pads, squeeze the piston in a little and see if it pumps out a little (dont extend it out all the the way).
    Changing the brake fluid can make a remarkable difference and should be done.

Good call hellfire07, if the chain's been replaced certainly inspect the masterlink has been fitted securely (in the right direction) and is clipped on.