Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

reviews and specs for older bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by emsie, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I've done a search on here, but to be honest, there's way too many things this topic could be under so I gave up after a few goes :) Cost of a well-used forum ;)

Anyways, I'm planning on spending the next 12 months or so preparing myself for what bike to get when I'm off restrictions in December. Obviously there's some bikes I can ride and many that I can't before then, but I'd like to have a fair idea of what I am and am not interested in, as well as what I physically couldn't ride by the time I am allowed to ride the many I can't currently. I'm sure that makes sense :oops: :)

Seat height is probably the biggest killer I'll be coming across and whilst I know that bikes CAN be lowered, it also affects how they ride and in some cases, their safety. I'm a little reticent to get a bike lowered unless it's seriously the bike of my dreams and, if it makes it any safer if it has to be lowered at all, preferably lowered only by a little bit.

That said, specs generally include seat heights and the like and that's a relatively good start for bike hunting (I'm 5'3" so whether I can touch the ground really matters for me). Does anyone know sites other than bikepoint.com.au for comparing bikes - especially older (2nd hand) ones? e.g. I'm dead interested in a Hornet 600 but I've only had a chance to sit on a 250 so I'd be keen to see the height difference between the two on paper before I go hunting for one. Ditto Monster 600's and 900's compared to a 620/695 - where do I even start for specs on those older bikes? :?

In the same breath, if I'm way off the mark with the whole lowering bikes thing, feel free to yell out too :)

2. cheers, thanks for those, toecutter :)