Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Review: Triumph Tiger Sport 2016. Nothing like the old one.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Loz, Jul 14, 2016.

1. [​IMG]
    A great thing, even if I do need to do concentration tongue to wheelie it.

Versatility is in vogue in today's motorcycling world, particularly among mature riders who like to do big mileage in comfort, without letting their sportsbike riding buddies put a gap on them in the twisty bits. Hence the rise of the adventure sports tourer, and bikes like the Triumph Tiger Sport, which can commute, tour and attack corners well enough to earn respect in pretty much any company. We spent two adrenaline-fueled days putting nearly 1,000 km on these bikes at the Australian launch, and found that a host of major engine and electronics upgrades have given the new Tigers a totally unexpected injection of class.

I think we can all agree at this point; adventure sports bikes are the new sports tourers. Practical, all-round fun machines with the power and handling to mix it with just about any sportsbike on a crazy-fast ride out in the hills, as well as the slow-speed manners to bash out a commute and the comfort factor to keep you fresh over a long week or two in the saddle.

Triumph's Tiger Sport 1050 represents Britain in a class that also includes the Kawasaki Versys 1000, Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Honda's VFR1200X Crosstourer, and maybe Yamaha's FJ09 Tracer. That's not to mention more exotic Euro bikes like the Ducati Multistrada andBMW S1000XR, which earn their vastly higher price tags by tacking on pretty serious performance gains.

That's a seriously impressive group of bikes to run with. So even though the outgoing model was only three years old, Triumph has given the Tiger a pretty significant upgrade for 2016, centered around the engine.

I'll admit the Australian press launch was a slightly scary prospect for me. The last time I reviewed a Triumph (the Speed Triple R, back in 2012) I smashed my piggybank and went and bought it. I then stopped testing motorbikes altogether for about a year and a half, because I figured I'd found the best one and there just wasn't any point any more.

... more
    • Like Like x 7
  2. See, what chance do old fogies like me, with a 20-year-old bike, stand, when even one just two years old feels like mush compared to a new one???

Nice review, Mr Loz (y)
  3. You lucky bastard.
    Just finished watching the launch vid.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm also very nearly 40 and after reading that review combined with the bike's looks, I feel a bit the same; stitched up.

At just over $17K new, that's a lot of bike for price. Do you know if there are manufacturer panniers for it? Is it the sort of bike you'd happily ride with a pillion on a regular basis?

(Another) Great review, Loz. Nice to have a written review although your video reviews are always entertaining. I still remember your father's parting words in the BMW R Nine T review...savage.
  5. Great review LozLoz.......

Haha - love it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Great review — I've been thinking about a Tiger for a while... I'm done for now, I think. ;)
  7. It's an ever-escalating arms race.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yes and yes. One of the lads on the test was rocking the panniers, they're quite roomy and the passenger seat is great.

Haha indeed - once he'd said that to me I just had to get him to say it again on film. Didn't take much convincing! :p
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Somebody has to buy the new ones so that you and I can buy the used ones, however old they are.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. This is why getting to ride all the new stuff is a double-edged sword. At my level of riding I should be happy with a five grand set of wheels.
  11. Another great review :)

Although I found myself "reading" the funny lines in your voice works better in the videos :p:p
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I was looking for the video.....too much reading for me on a Friday arvo. Though I put the effort in, cause it's Loz.

It does look the goods too if I'm being honest.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Great review Loz! Never disappoints,
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I had to buy chain cleaner today... what do you think was sitting in the middle of the showroom floor when I walked in? Looks the business, and damn, if it doesn't fit me well too...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Video is still a possibility. I just haven't been able to get the footage yet. Check the Triumph Australia Facebook page, I get a brief poo joke cameo in their video there.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Great review.
  18. "By the end of two insanely quick days through an awesome variety of roads, the Tiger Sport's character becomes clear. And it's the polar opposite of what I'd have expected. Yes, it's fast, but it's ruthlessly fast in a confident, controlled and calculated manner. Everything, and I mean everything, is exceptionally smooth, refined, comfortable, feather-light, easy. Gone is the mongrel streak, the rough, raw, brash edge that I've associated with Triumphs for years.

I think I miss that gruff edge, like maybe I feel a little disconnected from the wild action that's going on. And I feel that way right up until the moment I get back on my 2014 Speed Triple R, which instantly feels like a fossil. Everything seems heavy, and slow and agricultural and plain old hard work, in a way that never bothered me before. The new ride-by-wire engine is clearly, demonstrably better. Goddamn it, Triumph, why must you keep ruining me?"

When I was thinking of a new bike it came down to a choice in between the Triumph tiger 800 and the Triumph scrambler.
    I went the way of the raw elemental, warts and all simplicity of the old skool scrambler as I knew the arms race of new tech wrapped up in cutting edge styling offered by the Tiger 800 was always going to become yesterdays news all too soon.
    Another part of me was saying that I need to take it easier than I had been on my Suzuki SV1000 on public roads. Bikes just keep getting easier and easier to go faster and faster while our speed limits keep dropping on great roads and the cops get better at nailing us on them.
    I ride with a crew that have BMW gs1200's and keeping up with them in the tight stuff is massively entertaining on the likes of a scrambler. They're probably thinking about their stock options in the middle of corners while I'm thinking of a change of underwear.
    The 1050 sounds like an awesome bit of kit.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. There's a lot of fun to be had riding slow bikes fast. Wears you down over a week on the road, though. There's a place for bikes that take away all your concerns except the white lines.