Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Review of Green Slip biz...comments

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by CrazyCam, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Shamelessly stolen from aus.motorcycles.....

The MAA is having a review of the new ideas on no fault greenslips but
    aren't exactly publicising it.

go to https://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=515 and get stuck
    in.

They say lawyers get it all. THen how come record profits for
    insurers?

Funny that, privatise something you force people to buy and the
    private companies make a lot of money...

2. CTP for single seat registration in Qld is only $81.60. No pillion no huge cost. But of course there is no single seat registration in NSW. Why not?

3. that just over the amount of GST i pay on my CTP!
    for comparisons sake, how much is standard 2 seat CTP with all the same details?

4. every time successive governments have been promising that CTPs will drop, they've gone up.

I had a quote for CTP (continuing) on a car I bought last year. When I rang GIO and questioned it, I was told it was a fixed cost and they couldn't offer any discount. I rang QBE, who hold my other insurances, and THEIR quote was over $200 cheaper.........

5. It's about $200 more and you don't go through your whole life story or any other shit about your bike. Just pick the type of vehicle, 12mths or 6mths and choose a date like 01/03/2013 for example.

Here's a link below... have a play....

http://www.suncorp.com.au/insurance/ctp/quote

6. wow!

from 700sih to 270 in a couple of hundred kilometres....

7. I wonder why single-seat CTP is cheaper. Is it because single-seat bikes are involved in fewer accidents, or is it some kind of "they're smaller so they should pay less" reasoning?

I quite liked the WA system, it works the same way as TAC in Victoria but they charge half as much and don't spend their money on insulting, anti-rider adverts. Flat rate $140 p.a. for any motorbike. Having said that, I've also heard that making a CTP claim in WA is like trying to get blood out of a stone - they keep the insurance cost down by avoiding paying out if they can possibly help it.

ETA: check out the table at the bottom of this link comparing CTP cost in every state - http://www.icwa.wa.gov.au/mvpi/ctp/mvpi_premiums.shtml

8. CTP covers the passengers.
    given that the most likely people to get hurt in a motorcycle accident (both motorcycle vs road and motorcycle vs car) are the rider and pillion.

therefore, with a single rider... they barely have to pay out

9. Except that-
    1. Single seat, not single rider. I'm guessing that most bikes with a pillion seat aren't carrying a passenger most of the time.
    2. According to PSYCHO II's figures, it's a two-seat bike is ~ 3x the insurance cost of a single-seat bike.
    3. Aren't most single-seaters supersport bikes which I'd expect would have higher crash rates?

10. Well the logic is really quite simple. CTP does not cover the rider only the damage to others. Most bikes come as dual seat but you can get them officially modified basically by removing the pillion seat and pegs. If you can't carry a pillion then you've got to find someone to run into. The buggers tend to jump out of the way or wrap themselves in metal for protection against hoons on motorcycles.:ROFLMAO:

The option to register as single seat is not available in NSW. Such is life.

• Like Like x 1
  11. again, CTP only is personal injury to everyone but the driver/rider.

if someone on a one seater bike, rides off a cliff and kills themselves (extreme... but its an example) they dont pay out anything because they didnt hurt anyone.
    if the same happened with a two seater, there is a chance that there is a pillion, which they would have to pay out for.

another example
    single seater motorcycle runs into car at 100k/h. motorcyclist gets hurt (no cover) extremely small chance that the driver or passengers get injured due to the relativly small weight of the bike, and the metallic pillow around the car people

12. Ah, gotcha. Didn't realise that CTP didn't cover an at-fault rider in Queensland.

13. #13 Vertical C, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    This is not accurate. CTP covers the first $5000 for medical for the rider and has for a few years now.

If you want to rant, get your fact straight (not at the poster above)

Edit

http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/268.html

14. Perhaps you should read a little more closely.
    http://www.suncorp.com.au/insurance/sites/default/files/fm/pdf/Final_Sun Rate Chart_January.pdf

15. $5,000???? What would that get you?:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It might as well be nothing.

16. i use that several times every year... i still havnt hit the magical age where it drops. mainly because they keep moving it away

its now around the 30 mark

17.  Top
  18. VC, Psycho is in QLD not NSW.

19. It might, but it doesn't alter the fact that he's right.......