Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Review in Brief: 2004 Yamaha FZ6N

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by drdrei, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Being fairly new to the Netrider scene, but having posted many reviews of cars on other forums before, I'm now on the prowl for a new bike - a result of my full "R" license. On my current list is the FZ6, Z750, CB900 Hornet and ER-6n. So what follows is my personal review of the Fazer.

The Review

As I'm now fully licensed the hunt is on to at least experience what I'm able to ride, if not making a purchase.

Walking into Pitmans Yamaha on Main North Road the friendly staff were more than willing to let me ride this stead with the full knowledge that I was unlikely to purchase, and may not take one of these home in future.

With a jump start in the back of the yard (this example had been sitting idle for several months with a neglected battery) the engine hums into life and settles on a slightly uneven but enticing idle. You're immediately aware that this engine has its heritage in the Yamaha R6, with some minor retuning to suit its new naked home.

A quick walk around and some of the little things come to the fore, having just stepped aside from my VTR250. Yamaha's Fazer 6 is missing the nice touches that Honda engineers must ponder over for months. Most notable is the build quality, with a few areas such as the bottom of the tank and the finish used on the top of the forks and handle bar areas. Step a leg over, and again the controls feel somewhat lacking, with a sloppier and less solid build than you'd expect.

A quick flick of the wrist to familiarise with the throttle action and let out the clutch and it's immediately evident there are a few more horses loaded beneath my crotch. Smoother, too, thanks to Yamaha's excellent work on what is a supremely fluid engine. Once bound to the public tarmac a further throttle check and the experience is a fluid and smooth rev range, providing ample power up top. Below about 5K RPM and there isn't a lot of torque, but this is a six-hundred after all.

What then becomes obvious is the bike world's move to digital speedos. What's really lacking is that sense of acceleration rate that you can see with an analog gauge. It'd be nice to know, but glancing at the dials, that your current rate is going to put you into license-loss territory quickly, even though you're not there yet.

Being a brief ride around the block this was never going to be a full test of suspension set up or corner attitude. But you do notice the stiff set up front and rear providing a good feel for the earth beneath, backed up by quick acting brake pads, which provide nice bite and linear action. Gear changes are a fairly long throw, with light but slightly notchy feel - possibly a result of this Fazer's hibernation period and need for an oil change.

And so, after a quick 10 minutes with the Fazer I'm back at the dealer and somewhat disappointed, not by its riding characteristics, but the feel and looks of the thing once you've reached your destination. The controls feel and operate in a manner which just doesn't back up the rest of the bike's attitude. I could live with such a bike, but not from new. So the search continues.