Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Review: 2008 Sachs Express 150KN

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by bsj, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I saw a few interested posts about the Sachs 150KN last year, so I looked into it and got myself one. If anyone's interested in a cheap learner bike or commuter, its definitely worth a look.

Specs: (Copied from the importer's website):

Engine: 4 stroke single cylinder, air cooled
    Bore x Stroke: 62.4 x 49.5mm
    Displacement: 149cc
    Compression ratio: 9.2:01
    Engine power: 8.8kw @ 8500 rpm
    Gearbox: 5 speed manual
    Ignition: CDI
    Starting system: Electric/kick start
    Seating capacity: 2
    Brakes (front/rear): Disc/Drum
    Tyres (front): 80/90 -18
    Tyres (rear): 110/90 -16
    Dry weight: 118kg
    Dimensions (LxWxH): 2040mm x 720mm x 1110mm
    Seat height: 760mm
    Tank capacity: 12ltrs (1.6L reserve)
    Colours: Black or red

The bikes which are available now aren't quite the same as the pics on the site, because now they come with the naked kit rather than the bikini fairing and a blue one is available too.

After a lot of research into second hand and new bikes, I decided to take the 150KN for a test ride & see what I thought (This is for my first bike).
    After calling every stockist in the illawarra and sydney, I ended up going to Scootering in Manly to take one for a test ride. I rode it around the block, abt 4-5km and bought it that day. $2600 with 1 year rego, delivered to my house in wollongong.

The bike arrived that friday (three days later) and after riding it all morning it stalled at an intersection - After working with some mates and the dealer over the phone (and about 5 fuses) we found out it was an electrical problem and the dealer organised to bring me down a replacement bike in another three days, which he did without a single complaint and at no extra cost to me, which was great.

Since then I've been riding it all around the place, taken it down the coast for long highway rides and just around town to uni/work. It handles well and hasn't skipped a beat.

As a learners bike it is well set up, it's able to reach 90kmh no problems and is more than happy to sit on 80kmh all day long, which suits me fine because I'm capped at that speed on my license anyway. The dealer also spoke about getting a new sprocket made for it which could boost the cruise speed to 100kmh, something which I will be looking into when I get my Ps :)

For a learner, commuter or just a rider on a budget this bike is worth a test ride, I 'm definitely happy with it :)

2. I seen one of these the other day ,from behind it looked like a VTR250 .
    It had 2 people on it both average size and doing 85kph on the hwy ,looked like it was doing it easy.
  3. Thanks for the review, keep us posted as you rack up the miles because on paper these bikes look pretty good but the biggest question mark is how they will hold up to everyday use.

Also, does it definitely have 5 gears? I saw some specs that said 4 which I thought was a bit strange but anything is possible.
  4. Thanks for the review. Sounds interesting. Are these bikes made in China and designed in Germany?
  5. It's a Chinese bike that's been re-badged, it's based on (copied off) the old Suzuki GN125 (as are quite a few other Chinese bikes).

Nice to see a review of these, be sure to let us know how it goes in terms of reliability (seems to be the biggest question mark over Chinese bikes).
  6. Aha....Thanks jd. :)
  7. So far I've racked up just over 2200kms and its running as smoothly as the day I got it. Honestly tho.. It needs that new sprocket for freeway riding.. When you are in fifth gear (yes its a five speed) 100km would be redlining with the current gearing, and the current setup is already very torquey in the bottom end, so it shouldn't sacrifice too much there.

And another point of interest.. fuel efficiency is about 2.5L/100km running it on 98oct Premium (Because really with a 12L tank, why bother with the extra dollar per tank?)
  8. Sachs KN 150

I too have a KN 150. I've got 1500kms on the clock. Minor trouble with the fuel gauge. It's being sorted out by Morris in Newcastle. A great place to buy the bike. I agree that a new sprocket would do the 80-90kph better. Can anyone suggest where we could get a 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket? Overall the Sachs is a great run about. I run it on standard unleaded and get 3.2 L / 100 ks. Apparently a club in QLD are using the bikes in their Junior development category with success. Would love to hear from anyone else on the joys or worries of owning one of these.
  9. Sachs Express replacement sprocket

A replacement 39 tooth rear wheel chain sprocket is now apparently available to replace the standard 43 tooth original sprocket. Prices have been quoted as between $55-$60 from 2 dealers.

For a given speed, say 80kph, the engine revs would be reduced by about 10%; or for a given # of revs/minute the speed would be increased by about 10%. The replacement sprocket may require additional gear changes up hills & into strong headwinds.

Somebody somewhere mentioned to me that the rear sprocket has the same bolt holes as a Suzuki sprocket (maybe the GN125 mentioned earlier in this thread).

Given my experience with my Sachs Express, I calculated that a 36-37 tooth rear wheel sprocket might have been better than a 39 tooth sprocket.

Any info on alternative rear wheel sprockets would be appreciated.

I hope you are having as much fun with your Express as I am with mine.

Regards to all.
  10. Hey rr9999, can you say which dealers? (PM if you like)
    I've asked a few around and they had no idea and told me to call Stoney Creek. :shock:
    I've hardly put any k's on mine cause I'm a big guy and I'm pushing to do 80 in 5th, so I've not been game enough to take it out onto the highway.
  11. Sachs Express rear sprocket

I have received e-mail confirmation from Stoneycreek re availability of a 39 tooth rear sprocket.

Both City Scooters & Scootering (both in Sydney) have given me pricing information.

One dealer commented that the layout of the rear sprocket is the same as a Suzuki (model not mentioned) & that he can order a 39 tooth rear sprocket directly from Suzuki.

I have not ordered a 39 tooth rear sprocket yet as I am researching a 17 tooth front or drive sprocket to replace the original 15 tooth one. It is easier IMO to replace the front sprocket. I have not yet been able to identify, using the online catalog at JTSprockets dot com, a replacement. My only concern re a bigger front sprocket is whether there will be sufficient cleanance between a bigger sprocket and the surrounding engine casing.

I am about 95kg and can reach 80kph on the bike without any problem. I'm not prepared to push it any harder and don't plan to travel on major highways. It's the byways for me.

The reason that I am looking to replace an original sprocket is to lower the engine revs at a given speed (especially when out of the city on the byways) not to achieve a higher terminal velocity.

Regards to all.
  12. Going to 15 to 17 will seriously hurt your acceleration. Yes you will revv lower at cruising speed, but will a fair bit slower to get to said cruising speed. I'd seriously advise you go for a 16 not 17 as one on the front is worth 3 on the back.
  13. Hi, I recently purchased a Sachs 150 express with 4 months warranty left.
    Only problem I have found with the bike is the rubber damper in the rear wheel hub is breaking down and needs replacing. With the importer currently under administration the spare parts stock is locked up, well thats what the local Sachs dealer has told me.

My question is how close a copy is the Sachs express to the Suzuki? From pictures on the net the rims look the same. I was thinking to try a wrecker for the Suzuki's damper.

14. lol old thread.
    doing the math, you're telling me you can do 480km per tank on this? somehow i dont think so...
  15. I get over 160km to a 5l tank on my Sachs Madass (bored to 150cc).
    So a 12l tank wouldn't suprise me if it got over 400km.
  16. Nowhere near it - lucky if I can get 180km - 200km out of a full tank on my KN 150 ( I am a big guy - 115kg's 6'2" ) - mostly suburb commuting.

Buzzawak - Mojo Motorcycles has recently taking over, or will take over the import of Sachs - dont think they will honor the warranty, but they may help with parts.

Decent bike though - just a shame the product support isnt there.
  17. Hi MisfitPL9

Thanks for the info regarding Mojo. I think your right, not much hope getting my repairs covered under the warranty.
  18. Re: Sachs KN 150

Hi Cuttsy46 where in Newcastle are you ?
  19. Sachs Express (aka KYM FY150-3) front sprocket and other inf

Sachs Express (aka KYM FY150-3) front sprocket and other information update.

I now have 1637km on the clock and the motorcycle is going well. The only current problem is a failed petrol gauge, which another owner mention early that they had the same problem. I will take it back to the dealer for a warranty fix (hopefully) soon.

I rode the bike recently on a 220km day trip from Sydney up the Putty Road towards Singleton. The trip included 25km of 4WD rated fire trails. The bike went well, however it did again highlight to me that the bike is IMO under geared. This has been mentioned by other owners.

I have been searching for some time for a replacement front sprocket of 16 or 17 teeth to replace the original 15 tooth sprocket. Here is my research so far.

I found a replacement Fuji Gear 15 tooth front sprocket stock # 10-437-15, part # 23801-324-000. This information helps my search as whilst this sprocket is still a 15 toother, it does fit the drive shaft perfectly. Now using the part & model # I have found out the following information.

A Fuji Gear 10-437-15 sprocket = a Honda 23801-324-000 15 tooth sprocket = a Jomthai Asahi 31-437 15ont sprocket = JT Sprockets JTF 259 15 tooth front sprocket.

A range of older Honda models including a CB100, XL100, CT125 use this sprocket, but Honda appears to only stock a 15 tooth model.

I have e-mailed JT Sprockets to verify the above, but have not yet received a reply.

The local JT Sprockets distributor Link International do not have the equivalent sprocket in either 16 or 17 teeth in stock and apparently will not order one for less than an order of 10. The search continues.

An alternative option that I have found works is to modify a Jomthai Asahi (aka JT Sprockets) 31/200 sprocket. I purchased a 16 tooth sprocket, bolted it together with the original sprocket with the sprocket mounting bolts, put them in a vice and carefully filed down the 31/200 to the correct profile. This was not a difficult task but required the use of correct round and flat files of various sizes and a bit of care not to take off too much metal. The 31/200 sprocket is moderately close to the 31/427 but does require some metal removed. This is not an ideal solution, but it proved a point & will do until I find the correct “native†sprocket.

So how did the 16 tooth sprocket perform. An immediate beneficial change was apparent. The bike no longer seemed to be under geared, I was not continually searching for a non-existent 6th gear and the bike still had plenty of of 'zip' around town. At 80kph the engine was sitting on a comfortable 7000rpm.

So my next plan is to continue to search for a 'native' replacement socket but in the meantime buy a 17 tooth 31/200, modify it and test it for country cruising. I am not sure yet if a 17 tooth sprocket will fit in the available casing space or if the original chain will be long enough to accommodate the larger sprocket. Only a test will tell.

I can change the front sprocket in about 15 minutes and would be happy to change sprockets to suit my different trip locations.

If anyone has any luck finding a native 16 or 17 tooth front sprocket, please post that information.

Safe riding to all.
  20. Re: Sachs Express (aka KYM FY150-3) front sprocket and other

Hi rr9999, Great info dude. May next mod on my list is the gearing. Its funny, I am always looking for a magic 6th gear when riding.

Just wondering why you choose to increase the drive sprocket instead of getting a smaller back sprocket?

We should move this topic to the Modifications and Projects area.