Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reversing indicator phasing on ZX9R - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Loz, Apr 10, 2007.

1. A strange issue: when I flick the Minja's indicators on, they start on the "off" part of their cycle, meaning that there's almost a second before the light comes on.

I dunno about you guys but I'm a bit of a commando in traffic, and I do a lot of splitting and quick lane changes. I do like to be nice to the poor cagers though, and at least give them the right signals. Right now, the things are taking so long to flash on that sometimes on quick moves I've already cancelled the signal by the time it comes on.

Is there an easy fix for this? Anyone got any ideas?

2. Turn it on before you change lanes. This use to happen to me on one of my bikes don't remember which but yeah either wait the little extra or just don't indicate.

3. Er, thanks. Anyone know if there's a simple electrical fix?

4. yeah I get a bit of this too.

Maybe there is a way to pre-charge the cap so it goes off as soon as you hit the button.

someone out there must know more about this evil subject, then I do.

5. S'pose you could try changing flasher cans??

As opposed to flashing other things.......

6. Check to make sure the relay thats in the bike is the correct one for that circuit. When the initial 'on' cycle happens, do they flash at the normal rate?
    If they flash slower, then it could be a faulty/incorrect relay, or to much resistance in the light circuit.

Are they the standard globes or aftermarkets?
    In a standard indicator circuit, the frequency of the flash is usually defined by the circuit resistivity.

It may just simply be a worn or faulty relay. I ride with a mate that has a ZX9R and his comes on the instant you flick the switch.

7. They do flash slightly slower than I'd expect. The indicators are standard, I've no idea about the globes within. Perhaps I'll throw ten bucks at a set of replacements.

I know what you mean about resistance changing the flash rate - I stuck some aftermarkets on the Hornet once and they flashed very quickly. Same thing happens if you smash an indicator.

8. Not much help loz but the indicators on mine come on pretty much straight away :shock: So it looks like a process of elimination for you :grin:

9. I would try the indicator bulbs first and then the flasher can mate :)

10. Giving a cager a 1 second warning is not being nice even if they did flash straight away. Many moons ago when I got my license I think it was a minimum of 3 flashes. Maybe better planning is the way to go. *flame suit already on*

11. Clearly not a graduate of the school of combat commuting. See the gap, grab it, then say "thanks" so the driver feels like he's been nice to you. You indicate three times here in Melbourne mate, they'll speed up and DELIBERATELY not let you in!

A last-millisecond flash of the indicator is a cursory nod to legal compliance and something drivers expect from you. For some reason they get shitty if you look like you're just wandering in and out of lens, but they'll live with it if they get an orange flash.

12. Yep, 1 flash as you go is standard here. Wait for a 2nd flash and the road raging cager will be shouting "Well hurry up dick head, I don't have all day." and by the 3rd flash you're too late, gap's gone and he's giving you the finger. :)

Loz, you could try hand signals. :LOL:

13. Not being very electrickerelly minded, here's my solution...

Wire a single momentary-on switch (in parallel with the flasher can circuit)to fire both rear indicators at the same time. Jab the button once, both indicators will go on, you've done your legal duty, change lanes.

Best of all, it leaves the driver on the other side wondering "WTF?". S/he'll keep out of your way for the rest of the trip.

14. If I was the pedantic type I'd say they don't have to let you in. Indicating is a signal to others know that you intend to (in this case) change lanes when its safe to do so.

The "that's my gap and I'm taking it attitude" contributes to road rage.

I was a suburban driver for 20 years and for the last few travelling the Northern/Western Ring Rd daily.

Lucky I'm not pedantic! :grin:

15. I agree, they don't have to let me in, and cutting people off certainly contributes to road rage. But I rarely stick around long enough to be the slightest annoyance, and I make it a personal mantra that if I'm not going to let cars hold me up, I won't hold them up in return. Seems to work, I haven't had any road rage incidents directed at me and I feel safest when I'm constantly moving up through traffic. It's not an approach for everyone, but it works for me. Importantly, I think it requires quick indicators. ;)