Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Returning to 2 wheels :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by spec, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Hi Folks,
    New to NR forums. Used to be on 2 wheels a while back - almost 10 years now!
    Looking to get back - much better bikes here. Have to do the Learners and GLS thing though as my international licence is not valid. Really should have done this years back, but I got carried away by fast cars :)

Great forums we got here, plenty of info.
    Is there a good bunch of threads I can read - mainly looking for what gear to buy to understand costs etc before I book my L's. Also, any recommendations for where to get L's - I'm located in Melbourne inner south east.

2. Welcome to NR...
  3. Welcome

any speed of bike is at least as much fun as a fast car :LOL:
  4. Welcome aboard :)
    For info on where to do your Ls google is the best.
    For your gear options use the search function, plenty of info on just about all the gear you could want
  5. Welcome to the forum mate!
  6. Welcome! :cool:
  7. Welcome back Kotter?

Get training. Far more importanter than ATGATT
  8. Thanks for the welcome.

That's the true true... nothing like a good exit from a corner apex followed by the fresh smell of bug juice on the helmet!

Kotter - that was an old show... before my time though.

ATGATT - interesting, had to look that one up.
  9. Welcome aboard, Spec. I'm Spex. Nice to meet you.
  10. Got my 'L' yesterday :)
    The new GLS system is the beans ! All the focus is on safety, safety and then some more safety.
    Instructor seemed to think I had good road skills, positioning & traffic sense - probably from all the riding I did before in much worse traffic than we have here.
    He did say that my slow tech skills (slow riding, very slow turns, figure 8's need practice) - I was struggling a bit with these - Mostly due to putting more weight on the handle bars than I should.

Going to get all the gear, and then look for empty lots for practice - lots of practice....
  11. Welcome mate.
    I first got my L's at HART before the GLS and found them quite amateur TBH.
    All we did was ride around in circles all day and the instructor was a knob.
    This time I've booked with Ride-Tek due to the positive feedback they get.
  12. Thanks mate. I went to Armstrong in Thomastown as it was the earliest dates I could get. The instructor for our session was very experienced - 30 years riding.
  13. #14 spec, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Will do, once I get the gear and a bike :)
    Should be 2 or max 3 weeks as I only have time on weekends.
    Most likely, will buy a Kawasaki Z300, but i've yet to try some others as well.
    • Like Like x 1