Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Returning from o/s with California license

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by pda_, May 6, 2016.

  1. I'm an Australian with a Victorian car license. I just got back from three years overseas in California where I got a car + motorcycle license (and lots of experience riding 250, 650 and 600 cc bikes on some pretty amazing roads).

    I'm trying to figure out the best path to getting licensed to ride unrestricted in Victoria. Does anybody know how this works? I've searched and found plenty of cases of people new to Australia getting car+moto license transferred from overseas, but I haven't come across anybody adding overseas moto to an existing Australian license. The VicRoads website isn't very clear on this either.

    Some of the details I'm not sure about;
    * if/how I'm supposed to prove I've been riding for three years to avoid LAMS - my CA license card doesn't specify the original issue date.
    * if there's any written/practical testing required, or if it's just paperwork to transfer moto from CA to VIC.

    I'll try to ask VicRoads too, but sometimes it's good to know what to say/ask in advance to make it go smoothly, so any advice would be appreciated.

  2. A long time ago but I was in the same boat. I had to do a riders test then "P,s" for 12 months before it became a full license. I had left Aus for 3 years in Malaysia with a full Aus License, let it expire but had taken on the full Malaysian license. I passed my motorcycle license whilst in Malaysia during that time. When I returned they accepted my Malaysian car license as proof of keeping my car license up to date but had to pass the riding test, which in those days was just a ride around the block. The Malaysian test at that time test was very similar to the present Aus test for riders. I was in Melbourne at the time and had an old copy of my NSW license and of course my Malaysian license..
  3. Thanks pod, good to know.
    My Victorian license isn't expired, so maybe that will make it slightly easier.
  4. If your California license is a full motorcycle license, then you can convert to full motorcycle license with fee and theory test. They will add the endorsement to your existing license.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I did this 2 years ago, added my old South African motorcycle license directly to my existing full VIC drivers license without any test at all. Cost was $29. That's it. Caused a bit of head scratching at vicroads as the rule they have in place is clearly meant for car licenses, but it didn't specifically exclude bike licenses. So they just did it.

    Read up their rules carefully, if they haven't changed since then you should be able to do the same.
  6. You may need to produce a letter form California that details when your licence was first issued.
    Since the Vic move to 3 year LAMS even interstate riders may need to do this to prove licence history.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That's exactly what I found out today at VicRoads. I'll need to somehow get a letter from California DMV stating my motorcycle license first issue date. Looking back at my calendar, I think that was about 20 months ago, so that leaves 16 months of LAMS :( That actually doesn't bother me that much, I figure I can find a fun LAMS bike like a WR250X or something, but getting the paperwork from DMV sounds like a pain, I'll have to phone them during the brief timezone overlap.

    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    • Like Like x 1