Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Returning back to riding!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by takagawa, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Hi all, no one here probably remembers me, but I used to be around over three years ago until I had a not-so-nasty-but-enough-to-spook-me drop on the Monash. Well after pussy-footing around a bit (finishing uni and starting work) I've decided to get back into it :).

So I just thought I'd give my hello again to everyone. I've got a pretty poor memory so I'll have get re-introduced with many of you that I've met before, so forgive me if I don't remember you at first glance. I hope the good people at Netrider can give me help and advice in getting back into it.

I'm on the right, and this was taken on the Reefton Yarra Shire ride back in 3/4/05.

So a little background, I used to ride a Kawasaki 1995 ZZR-250 until the Monash drop. It was a write-off, but I couldn't bring myself to rid of it, too much sentimental value. So I decided to keep it away in the garage all this time.

Here is what it used to look like:

Here is how it looks now just taken out of the garage:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Left fairing from the front has seen better days, and the oil level window is cracked. There's a light coat of rust on the disc brakes. Its done 47,000km.

The bike is no longer registered. Before I put her away, it started and 'seemed' mechanically sound. But since then its been sitting for three years

So the question I'm asking myself is, whether I get my bike fixed up, or should I not bother and just get myself something else? What do you guys think?
  2. If it's a write-off, sell it to a wrecker for spares and buy somehting new.

And welcome (back).
  3. Thanks. Any seconder's on selling it to the wreckers?

I'm thinking along the lines of getting something (comparatively) more practical like a scooter, forgive me!. Although in my heart, I desire the CBR600RR very much.

I'm planning now to restock my wardrobe with new riding gear: new helmet, dri-rider jacket and draggin jeans. Also planning to do a course to refresh me on the whole thing.
  4. If its a writeoff its too much effort and expense to get it back to road registered etc. I second paul, sell to wreckers and buy something else. If you go for a 600RR yeah a refresher course is a good idea.

Oh yeah, and welcome back :)