Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'Retro racer' no indicators?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by MeltingDOg, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Saw a bloke riding what looked like a 70's or 80's CB250 modded into a cafe racer. Looked good but he had removed the indicators and was using hand signals. Just curious can you get away with this (in QLD)?

2. IIRC, pre 1970-something bikes, yes.
  3. Same deal in Victoria - bikes of a certain vintage don't have to carry indicators.

I was reviewing the bikes requirements for club reg. here too, don't need blinkers but still need a chain guard!
  4. In Vic it used to be pre 1966 you didnt need indicators, or baffle them with bullshit when they pull you over for it, worked a few times on a rigid framed xs650 I had.
  5. Excellent!

My black bomber is a '65 model - no need for blinkers.
  6. You don't say. The more you know...
  7. If it was ADR'ed with them then it has to have them.
    I thought it was 66 as well. Cant find it anywhere though.
    First thing I do with my dirt bikes is take them off. Don't think I would be without them on my roadie though.
  8. Dunno how I will go with my '65 bomber when it is done, as it came to me from Colorado in boxes with a purchase receipt. I think club reg is my best bet, just need to join a club first and then talk to the club inspector about blinkers and other stuff.
  9. I think it was around 68 or 69 I had a rego check and my blinkers weren't working. I was told if the bike had them on they had to work so I took them off and passed rego.

From TMR website (Qld) - "Direction indicator lights must be fitted to the front and rear of
    a motorcycle manufactured after 30 June 1975."
    From the RTA website (NSW) - "Motorcycles manufactured before 1 January 1979 do not require indicators."
  10. Do you trust modern drivers to know what you mean and not rear-end you, particularly when you're pausing for oncoming traffic before turning right into a side street?
  11. I would fit them for safety's sake, even if they are just very small LED items. Minimum spacing is 280mm I believe, or the width of a licence plate ;)

Cheers - boingk
  12. I would also fit them, they also act as a pretty good accessories as well as being functional
  13. I think the cut off year is compliance year, 1976. But I believe if the bike came with blinkers, then you must have them.
    I highly recommend them either way, I ride a bike with none and you have to be extra careful because traffic isn't used to hand signals.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. In Victoria it is:

"Motorcycles and Moped manufactured after June 1975 must be fitted with Turn Signal Lamps" so similar to QLD.