Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

retrim

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by deafwish, Jul 25, 2005.

1. My seat's vinyl has seen better days.....
    It was kept out in the sun and has gone brittle and faded.
    I've soaked it in Armourall, but is still grotty. :(
    Can i take the seat to any motor trimmer for them to re-trim it?
    Any particular material they need to use?
    Retrim or buy a replacement seat from wreckers?
    Ta!
    Daz. :wink:

2. If you would like to get a quote on a re-trim, I went to the Motor trimmer on Toorak Road, Camberwell, on the North side, two blocks down from Highfield Road and BMW. Its not far from Mt Waverley.
    Cheers.

3. Car upholstery ppls are GREAT. Have had several seats done over the years and they always do a good job, often better than original cos it's done by hand, not by machine and you get to choose the materials.

4. Whats it cost to get a seat done?

5. make sure they re-cove with marine grade vinyl though

6. I was told about $100 to do a single seat (just re-skinning - new foam may be more).

7. I have my seat in the car at the moment ready to be retrimmed.
    Should i go leather or vinyl?
    Safe just to do it in black or something crazy?
    My Hornet is the Tahitian Blue.
    Ta!

8. if resale value is a consideration, you should keep it stock. But if you're planning on keeping it for a long while, then do whatever your little heart desires!

I'd not consider leather. It's not waterproof.

9. I did mine in leather and was warned beforehand that it is high maintenance. I need to dubbin it on a regular basis.

10. For those who haven't noticed it yet, armourall is not a good idea on bike seats.

It can make them so slippery as to be positively dangerous.

(having said that, I've been known to use a cloth to apply it *very* sparingly, but only when I know I won't be riding till the next day.

I don't know about your bike, but I can buy a new original skin for my bike and either fit it myself or have it fitted. Might be worth checking out the spare parts people if originality is something you value.

11. hey daz, get it done in dark blue, then your's will look different from everybody else's! Then post some pics for us. (I've toyed with the idea of getting those boring grey sidecovers painted the same colour as the tnk, any thoughts?)
    And, if you're going to have the cover replaced, get the guy to cut half an inch off the top of the standard foam, and glue on a half inch pad of high-density foam, does wonders on longer rides.

12. AND..... get it covered with a ribbed vinyl, as opposed to the drab flat cover it has stock. Looks better and give the old posterior a bit more grip at important moments.

13. for your pleasure :shock: :LOL:

14. Hmm.... :shock:
    I think i'll just go with factory looking black vinyl......
    Leave the side covers alone. They look crap colour coded.....
    Get carbon fibre ones if you NEED to change them, or have them chromed...... :)

15. Got my seat retrimmed in black vinyll.
    Cost a whopping $60! :shock: :LOL:
    The seat on the Hornet is pretty large, so with new vinyll on it, the whole bike looks BRAND NEW again!
    No more sliding back on the seat during wide open throttle!
    Grip galore!

16. Dan I just picked that up, wicked, wicked, you're wicked, eh, eh?? Nudge nudge!!

17. Good stuff Daz, if you can garage the beast (move over WRX!!) you should keep that seat for as long as you keep the bike.

18. The garage fits BOTH!
    Bike is on a paddock (work shop) stand and it's a tight squeeze in the garage, but at least they're away from the elements and public eyes!

I think Dan's ribbed vinyll comments are coming from experience.....
    Anyone smell burning latex <all look at Dan>?! :LOL: :p

19. Are you wearing that Batman suit again under your dririders, Dan?

20. Got my rear (seat that is) re-vinyl about two weeks ago. Looks much better than new I think, and he used really good vinyl ... cost me $40, including a new leather strap :) I paid in cash though....