Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by PJ2, Oct 19, 2006.

1. I am just wondering if somebody would mind taking a couple of minutes and having a quick look at my resume ?

Grammar isn't my best subject

2. I'll have a look if you'd like, send it to VB_SLE@hotmail.com

I'll send it back highlighting anything I've changed.

Would you mind my mother reading it aswell, for a 3rd opinion?
    If not, send away :)
  3. A couple of suggestions for resume writing.

Have a "basic" resume, which you can use to create versions that are tailored to each position you apply for. By "tailored", I mean that you can emphasise some things and de-emphasise others, depending on the requirements of each position.

Don't use the "one size fits all" approach, because you really have to think about what each job description requires, and make sure your resume addresses all the criteria. What's important for one job may be less important for another, so be prepared to shuffle things around to emphasise the good stuff.

Keep each resume as brief as possible, but no briefer. In other words, cover all the bases but don't include any padding.

Oh - and don't put a blurb in about your personal interests, hobbies or sporting prowess, unless these are directly relevant to the criteria for the job you're applying for. You may have an absolute passion for hand-rearing snapping turtles or building the Eiffel Tower out of toothpicks, but odds are it's probably not all that exciting to the employer.

Good luck!
  4. Oh, you are a cruel man, Clive :LOL:

Pj, I'm always happy to play the spelling, grammar and layout nazi, PM me for my email address.....
  5. I will also have a look if you like as I used to do quite a lot of report writing & have often helped people with "tailor made" applications in the past. PM me for the email address.
  6. im a bit slow, but if you want the opinion of someone who hires & fires, send it my way.
    can-do at dodo.com.au
  7. Actually, this is a VITAL part of a resume describing to the potential employer what your intersts are which = personality.

Believe it or not, some employers will short-list candidates based on their interests as he/she might relate and identify with their interests...

A resume is your sales pitch.
    You need to sell yourself to an employer so as i stated above, "Interests/Hobbies" are important.

PJ feel free to PM me and ill give my email addy and ill be more than happy to have a look at it for you :)

8. ...yeah but if you run short of room and have to squash it in then don't. And if you put it in, try and relate it at least a little with the job you're going for if you can.