Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Restrictors on Bikes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by aus_dragon, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. Hey guys,
    I have done a search for this but nothing really came up that answered my question properly.

    I have heard alot of riders talking about getting +250cc bikes and have them restricted so that they are learner legal (LAMS in NSW). The Hoysung 650 sems to be a popular bike for this.
    What I was wondering was is this possible on any/all lager bikes, is there any set bikes that this has been approved by the RTA for, can you get a bike approved for this sort of mod.

    I am in the process of looking for a new bike as the FZR250 I currently ride seems to have disappeared with my wife as she has now gotten the confidence to go on group rides etc. I figured if this sort of mod was doable than I could get a 650ish bike restricted then when off my restricted license not have to buy a new bike.

    Any help or experience with this would be great.
    Thanks guys.
  2. Unfortunately the list of modded bikes is minimal here in Aus.
    Only manufacturer conversions are allowed (eg. Hyosung 650L) or the model of bike must be under 660cc and be within a power to wieght ratio of 150kw / tonne.

    When I was in the UK, you could get an after market mod for a fireblade if you wanted to!.
  3. :shock: Dang!!! I might just have to move to the UK lol :LOL:
  4. Get new HONDA CBR600RR '07 it ride like 1 liter bike.
  5. Wow. That is the most valuable post ever made on Netrider.
  6. Nope yours was..

    As for the topic.. just buy a 250.. chances are you'd get sick of the 600-650 anyway after a while and want something else anyway. Also when you're after a 600+ you have more a choice anyway without having to pay to get it tuned down.
  7. Buy a second hand LAMS bike, like the GS500, with an eye to selling it once you come off restrictions.

    You can get a 2yo GS for ~$6000 that looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. It's a forgiving ride, cheap to repair, and 500cc will get 'stale' less quickly than 250.

    Best of all when you go to sell it, you'll pretty much get all your money back (unlike a new restricted bike). Then you'll be in the market to buy any size bike that takes your fancy. What you see as desirable features in a bike are probably going to change over the next year anyway!