Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Restrictions and sports bikes

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by monaro57, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Was talking to a few people the other day about learners and restricted riders, we ended up talking about scenarios where restricted riders may choose to ride a non-LAMS bike (sports bike) before completing the restrictions period.

What sort of penalties are there in Vic? Is this considered riding unlicensed?
  2. Apart from playing the 'take a punt, I can wear a fine' game... are there any legal implications if something goes really pear shaped?

If you have a bingle that's not your fault and you are on a bike you shouldn't be are you still in the right?

If a pedestrian steps out in front of you in the wrong and you cripple or kill them will you get taken to the cleaners?

I'm asking, not telling. I have no idea but have often wondered about it.
  3. It won't go down well with the insurance company.
  4. If you really want to go down that path get one of the bikes with a throttle restriction and remove the restriction and get a standard ecu from manufacturer. Neither insurance, cops nor registering body will ever know.
  5. yeah +1, just do that.
    or just be bloody careful and not ride like a fckwit, cops won't notice you.
  6. Not a chance boy-o. It's stupid people who think the cops are stupid.
  7. I met a guy on one of the thursday night rides who learned on a non-learner approved bike, i don't think he ever got pinged for it. Pure luck mayhaps?
  8. No insurance companies are pretty friendly and love to pay out. They will overlook your little indiscretion.

Sorry I think I was dreaming. Insurance companies will try to wriggle out of as much as they can in a normal claim given half a chance. Have a prang on a bike you are not allowed to ride and they will simply wipe you. Assuming that they will insure it in the first place if you ahven't had a licence long enough.
  9. I met an old guy who's been riding 40 years and never crashed.
  10. I did that on my previous R1 - and as for pure luck - I dont think it was, as I was tailgated on the 100kph freeway by a unmarked police car ( spotted his lights )

I was doing 95 in the left hand land and he was right on my tail - I believe he was trying to get me to accelerate away from him so he could then issue me an infringement as I continued my speed of 95 and eventually he just sped past.

Had there been a rear mounted camera on my car I would have made a big public fuss with the video footage about the driving habits of the officer in question as he really was only about 3 meters of my rear tyre at 95kmph
  11. I kind of took it as a given that insurance companies would laugh you out the door if you were riding illegally.

I was more asking re the possible legal implications / charges etc, particularly if someone is hurt or killed in an accident that wasn't your fault, but you were riding a bike you shouldn't be.
  12. If your riding a bike illegally, ie not LAMS approved and someone is injured...Id have serious concerns whether TAC will cover a injury claim. Easy answer, just dont do it, honestly its not worth the stress and trouble that it may cause.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I don't think this "they'll never know" and you can get away with it if you're lucky thing doesn't stacks up and it's getting harder unless you live in the remote outback or something.
    All the new rego recongnition devices they are now using, eventually to be fitted to most police cars, do MORE than only post whether your vehicle is registered or not.
    It also displays, type of vehicle it is (lams or not), registered owner and type of license, history of infringments if any (includeing issued warnings), outstanding warrants, unpaid fines, etc...

And please don't think that they wouldn't pick up any mods to alter your bike should any investigations be required if there's any accident involved.

Personally, there are good selections of bikes available under lams these days and it's only a short time on lams where you can refine your skills in that time.

And remember it may not be all about you, it could involved others with insurance issues so in someways it's being a little selfish...
    Things can get pear shaped out there quite easily even if it's not your fault.
  14. Yeah, this is the sort of thing I was thinking, and why I think it's dangerous to be advising L & P riders in a forum like this to just 'ride carefully and the cops won't see ya'
  15. Yeah, I agree.

Before LAMS was brought in, riders basically had a choice between a 15 year old 40hp 250cc screamer brought in from a Japanese warehouse and given a new coat of paint, a 33hp twin with a stronger midrange, or a 20hp commuter bike, all with about 22Nm of peak torque. 33hp's fine (and tremendous fun around town or on tight, twisty roads) but I found it a bit frustrating when it came time to overtake another vehicle at freeway speeds.

Now that LAMS is in place there's a whole host of bikes to choose from with 40, 50, 60Nm of peak torque and about 50-55 horsepower, weighing in the same or much less than a 600cc or 1000cc race replica.

50 horsies is plenty usable in the real world, and there's a certain je ne sais quoi thrill to be had using a lightweight LAMS bike's inherant agility to embarress riders of race-replicas on tight and twisty roads. :D
  16. oh, snap...
  17. Had a job in at work a few months ago. Rider on restrictions riding a non LAMS bike, lost it on a bend up in the hills, he's walked away with a few scratches, but...Bike has gone into a brand new Forester, caused 22K damage and he totaled the bike plus all the other associated costs.
    Insurance wouldn't cover him for the accident he caused which probably left him out of pocket 30K and nothing to show.
    So you need to way up risk versus reward.
  18. Good real world example
  19. It's a stupid idea.
    It was a stupid idea 10 years ago when I considered it
    It's been a stupid idea every time someone posts on here asking about it.

And I think everyone who asks the question also knows that.

15 or 18 months sounds like a long time to be on a restricted bike. But it isn't.
    Use the time to learn the basics and then get a bigger bike when you can actually insure it and not run the risk of causing yourself a lifetime of debt and whatever criminal issues you might face.