Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Restricted Laws around Aust.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by MattyB, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. Just curious, how do the laws differ for each state in australia?

    I've been hearing how certain places can't go above 80k's on L's, and some places can't ride on L's without a full licenced rider beside them etc etc.

    am i lucky to have my L's in Vic?

    what are the rules for each state? (in a nut shell, links to pages and pages of info aren't for lazy people like me.)

    also, discuss :D
  2. QLD is/was? 100 km/h on L's but must be accompanied by a licenced driver/rider. How stupid is that to need a licended driver in a car behind the L plate rider?

    NSW is/was 80 km/h max on L's but you can ride solo, nearly just as stupid as QLD, maybe more so. It easily creates hazerdous situations for new unskilled drivers/riders.
  3. Sure does sound strange. If a bike is accompanied by a car, does the car driver need to have a bike licence?
  4. Dont even ask, rules and regs are so diferent its stupid.
    Some are recognise across border (nsw greep P plates for egsample) and some aren't (05 rules)

    i'm a BIG advocate for nation wide rules BUT with a lot of flexability
  5. No, just a car licence. But for some strange reason it's illegal for them to stick thier head out the window and yell instructions at you. Is probably also illegal to keep bip'n the damn horn. That rules out everything except running into the bike.

    I'm not sure what it was supposed to accomplish, they must have changed it by now.
  6. Don't forget we get LAMS too, so none of this 250cc restriction bizzo.
    Anything under 150kw/tonne rating up to a max 660cc = win! (hence my Z650 :grin: :grin: :grin:)
    I think this is the same for ACT, Tas, and SA :?:
  7. Except that Tasmania has some weird thing where you have to nominate the bike.

  8. :shock: :shock: :shock:

    Go Tassie! Making it harder for everyone involved. Gotta love that. :?

    I'm kinda surprised that so many other states haven't taken on LAMS.
    The 250-260cc restriction seems to be what is keeping those 10+ year old CBR250RRs/ZX-2R's/FZR250's/ZZR250's etc... at an artificially inflated price.
    The bike shops know you need a 250, so they'll sell you one... at their price.
  9. THe really strange thing is that the price of 250's hasn't fallen that much in states with LAMS. Go to bikesales or bikepoint and have a look :LOL:
  10. In WA:
    L platers are unable to ride without someone present(pillion or another bike) that has had their R or R-E class lisence for more than 4 years.

    Limited to 100km/h. Used to be 92km/h (cars aswell) but people got pretty pissy with them on the freeway and 110 zones.

    Mustn't ride more than a 250 for R-E, back on the L's for your R class too.

    Prices for 250's in WA are crazy $6,500 for an '89 CBR250rr in the paper yesterday. (My misses is looking for a bike :) )
  11. I too am not sure about this one, all I can think of that would be of benefit is that the car is acting as a "backstop" creating a buffer from other cars while you wobble about learning. :LOL:
  12. Bike license rules in WA...

    To get your R-E (250cc restricted MC license) must be learner accompanied by a ride of that class (has had R-E license > 4 years), who can be on another bike or pillion passenger (QLD car thing is stupid IMO). Then ya do your practical test. If you already have car license you don't need to display P plates after test.

    Once you have your R-E you can get learners for R (got mine the day of my R-E test).

    To get your R (unrestricted MC license) must have held R-E for 12 months to be eligable to sit practical test. Whilst learner you must be accompanied by a rider who has had R lisence > 4 years, who can be on another bike or pillion. After that you can ride whatever the hell ya like.
  13. Here in SA L platers are restricted to 80km/h, BAC 0.0 and no pillion. No need for accompanying rider/driver.

    R-Date licence holders follow the same restrictions as their car licence. Eg if you are on car P's then you must display P's on the bike and are restricted to 100km/h, 0.0 BAC but you can take pillions. Luckilly for me I have a full car licence so am only restricted to a LAMS approved bike for 12 months (no displaying of P plate, 0.05 BAC, open speed limit and can carry pillions)
  14. ACT:

    L-platers are restricted to 150kw/tonne, no size limit that I know of. One guy on the Ps course had his massive cruiser along. There is no way it was under 660ccs. You can't pillion, either.

    1st year of Ps is the same.

    No speed restrictions, no other rider/driver required.

    .02 all the way, I think, too.
  15. Another restriction in NSW is that you're not allowed to carry a pillion while on your L's or P's.

    It's really strange that in WA it's a requirement! What's the licensed pillion going to do for you in an emergency? Grab the bars and take control?
    Sure they can give you advice while riding, but I really don't think it's such a great idea. Having that extra weight moving around on the back is going to change the whole handling characteristics of the bike which will change as soon as they hop off.
  16. On the other hand - think of the performance boost once you've passed the test - it'd be like getting a whole bigger bike... :LOL:
  17. HAHAHA good point! :)

    I'm all for common sense when it comes to licensing and road rules. A shame that so many of our state goverment's have a severe lack of said common sense :p
  18. A licensed rider on another bike with a bike-to-bike communication system seems like the best solution, but that's too awkward/expensive in most cases. I think the Q-Ride solution of extra privileges/support if you get some rider education makes sense as a place to start.