Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Restrepo - Afghan War Docco

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Maetrik, Oct 3, 2011.

1. #1 Maetrik, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Has anyone seen this? I love war footage, not for sadistic reasons but i like to see what is actually happening over there, what the troops are actually fighting for and what they're up against. The news tells a story we want to hear so i ignore anything they say.

Anyway its about an outpost named the most dangerous place in Afghanistan by US Forces, and it shows a really close up look at what some of the guys over there are facing. I highly recommend it.

Here is a sneak peak, there is a torrent for it on isohunt if anyone wants the whole thing.

2. Yeah i've seen it, well worth a look - real eye opener.
  3. yeh, got this one a few months ago, very interesting!
  4. I tried to watch it. I really did. But i just couldn't. Propaganda just shits me.
  5. Snuff3r:
    I'm like you but seriously though, give this one a chance.
    It wears the guise of propaganda but really turns the whole thing on its head in the second half.
    Anti-propaganda (oxymoron!)
  6. Gotta be one of the best documentaries i've seen in a while. Felt a little long in parts but it was pretty terrific. Some excellent footage in there too.

If you think it is propaganda, or even wears the guise of propaganda I'm really wondering what you were watching or even what promotional material you were looking at. Just because it's about the Yanks at war doesn't mean it's going to be supportive - unless, of course, you dismiss these things off hand because of your own bias.

The book was one of the most upsetting war memoires I've read. (After "Gunner Inglorious")
  7. Yeah i have seen this. Very sobering stuff. Over Xmas period i went on a doco raid, and watched quite a few different docos.

This one was the sadest though.

I watched Taxi to the Darkside a couple of years back when it one a Oscar - another brilliant doco. A very sobering look at how things got soo ****ed up in the war with prisoners.

Off topic slightly - check out Inside Job if you like docos.... Amazing look at how the world economy got bent over and bummed hard.
  8. i saw it, pretty good. Nat Geo did one on the army hosptal in Baghdad a while ago too, that was very enlightening, disturbing and sad, seeing soldiers losing eyes, limbs and their lives, no propaganda. One of the doctors at the end made the statement that war is meaningless, very powerful after wathcing the doco. It's called "BAGHDAD ER".

There have been some complaints that "Baghdad ER" is too graphic, too negative, but Zwillinger (mother of soldier who was killed by an IED) sees it differently.

this is an excerpt from a mother of a soldier who was killed

"This is war, this is war, this is what people need to see," she says. "If they don't believe this is raw image, then they are not in reality.

"What does the public really see right now? The public sees a blurb on the second page of a newspaper, we're not even front page newspaper anymore. It's a little blurb saying 'two soldiers have lost their lives over in Baghdad' -- that's it. … You don't get the graphic reality of what war is about until you see the film. That's war, it's graphic, it's raw, it's authentic, it's real."
  9. sadly it reminded me of a lot of the old Walter Kronkite docos when he visited the kids the americans sent into Vietnam
    nothing has changed. America does not learn from it's own history, so repeats the same mistakes.
    was just like seeing the same kids again. they don't want to be there. just poor and uneducated. could'nt afford to go to college. ****ing shamefull that they get used and manipulated by evil old ****s like Rumsfield, Bush etc.
    when they get sent out on patrol they get ****ing creamed and they never ever see it comming. they are way out of their league. lambs to the slaughter. get seperated from the group and you get butchered.