Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Restoring an old farm bike . . .

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by MYOMNOMS, Jan 1, 2012.

1. G'day all,

I've got another thread up with a restoration project on a 1974 Yamaha AG175 2-stroke, But I've hit a fairly significant obstacle.

I have NO clue where to get parts for the bugger! I've had a good scour online and rang a few local wreckers with little to no luck.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, or better yet, let me know of people who specialize in older bikes, I'd be much obliged. Preferably in Victoria, Geelong or Melbourne region, But I really want to fix this bike up so I can fork out for interstate or international shipping if there's no option.

2. Hi Doug,
    Try ebay and online parts retailers. I bought a 1980's honda 125 that had lived on a farm and needed a fair bit doing to make it roadworthy when I got it. Get familiar with other models that share parts and search online, it was by far the easiest way of finding the bits I needed for my honda.
  3. try Pakenham Motorcycle Wreckers. Think they have a "part request" option on the website. Otherwise "Find A Part" can be handy.
  4. I hunted around calling Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle and Melbourne wreckers trying to find a footpeg hanger and a seat for a ZR550 and eventually found them from a wrecker in Perth. If you just happen to get lucky and find someone with that bike you are set but it can take time and effort. Someone a bit more out of the way, especially in a rural area, might be a better go.

There's a complete AG175 for sale on ebay now. No bids last time I looked and about 4 days left. No guarantee it doesn't need more parts than it could supply.
  5. I could be wrong but I've been told that the DT175 of the same year shares the same engine. Not sure about the rest of the bike though.