Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Restoring a GPZ600r

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by hoverpeople, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Hello Netrider Community -

I have a very broad question about restoring a motorbike.

I have an 86 GPZ600R which has been sitting under a cover for the last few months
    as I had some electrical issues which were preventing it from starting.

In the mean time I have borrowed a little money and got myself a 2000 ZX9R as I need a reliable
    daily ride (I haven't had a car since mine got stolen a year ago)

I finally got around to getting a starter solenoid for the GPZ the other day and fitted it and also pulled of the fuel tank and patched a couple of pin holes with the idea of getting it ready for sale.
    The thing is I realised as I was doing it that I was actually having quite a bit of fun working on the bike. So then later on I'm looking on Ebay to get an idea of what kind of price I should put on it when I go to sell it and there are a few of the same model on there for sale as 'parts bikes'.

All these things stewed around in the brain box for a while until the idea popped out - 'Why don't I restore her to her former glory instead of selling her'... I like the look of the mid 80's faired race bikes...

So my questions are:

1. Am I crazy? :grin:

2. What should I ask myself before I begin this project to make sure I actually want to do it?

3. Which parts on a bike would be a deal-breaker that should make me just sell the thing?

I have been told by a mechanic that looked at the bike that the wiring loom looks a bit dodgy. That the suspension bushings are 'rooted' to use his terminology. Other than that all I know is that the bike starts and runs. It doesn't blow any smoke. It seems to ride ok.

Bikeboy - I'm hoping you may be able to answer a couple of these questions as you seem to have a fair bit of experience with restoration. Of course I would love advice from anyone...

The other thing I have to consider is that I live in an inner city terrace which has a backyard but no 'workshop' so I may need to look around to rent/share a workshop space.

Sorry this post is a bit sprawling but thanks in advance for any advice people can give me.

2. no more than many of us here. there's some great projects going on.

I would suggest you sit yourself down in a room full of mirrors and have a good hard look at yourself :wink:

Then try and figure out what your motivation is. If you're in it to make a buck-then I think you're going to struggle. As nice a bike as it is, it's not 'collectable' or rare enough to command the high price you'll need to get if you want to recover the money you'll be putting in to it. If you're doing it because you have a personal attachment to the bike (and that seems to be the case), then you're on your way.

I can't think of anything that would halt a project? It's not an old bike, so most things should still be available. If the motor checks out OK (compression check etc.) then you might save yourself some big dollars, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't still get timing chains and tensioners etc. Suspension components can be sourced and replaced with little drama. You could probably pick up a harness on ebay too? Depends what's wrong with yours? Good if you're not in a hurry. Did the States get the same model? Time and time again, I find parts from the states are much cheaper than wreckers here, even with postage. I've saved hundreds recently on a swingarm and shock. I couldn't believe what the local boys wanted! They're a dime a dozen in the states. Shipped in 6 days.

That's not good. You're going to need space to spread out :( You need to be very organised once you start dismantling motorcycles. Keep track of everything, and keep related items together. Work on 'systems' like brakes or suspension rather than randomly pick up pieces. Take lots of pics before and during disassembly. You can never have too many pics. And you need to post them to let us know how you're getting on.

Sounds like you've found yourself a nice little diversion. good luck with it.

cheers
    ian

3. Thanks for the reply Ian!

Everything you said makes sense. No I'm not in it to make any money. I would be doing it for the love/experience.

I think the issue I have to sort out is the lack of a workspace. If I can't sort this one out I may have to leave it for a while...

Thanks again.

Ben