Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

resting position on footpegs

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by curlsaugogo, Oct 15, 2010.

1. OK, so as my bike and I have gotten to know each other my riding position has come forward, now wrapped more tightly round the tank.

And this means that my right foot is now sometimes leaning accidentally on the rear brake. Its been adjusted down as far as can sensibly go, but still a bit of a problem, and now Im figuring the problem is me, and I need to adjust my resting foot position back, so that I actually need to move it forward onto the pedal when I want to rear brake.

Is this "correct"?

And should I be doing the same on the gear side?
  2. I've always ridden with the balls of my feet on both footpegs. I know the people at HART say you shouldn't because it adds vital seconds to the time that you might need to get your feet onto the brake or the gear lever, but I'll stick by it.
  3. I either go duck footed ( with the feet out either side of the pedals and lower)

Or on the balls Of my feet like rc36 mentioned or alternate from time to time.

Actually at the last hart course I did the instructor suggested " set up for the corner (brake etc) and then feet back if you like". They seemed to be ok with it .

When cornering the feet back seem
    help "feel" the corner. Or I'm mildly insane.
  4. In heavy traffic areas, I prefer to be on the soles of my boots, so both feet are close to the controls, because I will be using them frequently.

At all other times I will be on the balls of my feet, and move them into the "control position", as required.
    I disagree that this wastes precious seconds...maybe a 1/2 a second.
    That can be made up for, by better anticipation and vigilence.
  5. Your other option is to go to an engineer and get him to bend the pedal slightly, since you are at the limit of adjustment

take it off the bike first, though :LOL:

I'm a 'both feet on the pegs, ready to use either control all the time' person myself...
  6. Duck feet in traffic and up on the balls of my feet when the pace quickens
  7. I've got the same bike as you curls and I've also found my riding position has changed a lot in the same way. I've got longer lower wider bars that came with the bike so this accentuates forward rather than upright position.

I found I ran into this problem: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=115548

I now mostly ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, but not yet changed the position of the controls. I think I might try some adjustments this weekend.

8. Duck feet position for me... mostly because the toes on my right foot can't curl downward at all (no rock climbing, or thongs for that matter, for me!), so I can't "feel" the peg when on the ball of my foot that well.
    And yep, that quirk makes going for the rear brake interesting too! LOL
  9. Ah, I knew there would already be at least be three pages of finely-tuned debate on the topic here somewhere!

Thanks guys for your responses. Ok - defaulting to balls sounds good. (dont take that the wrong way...) As mentioned in the other thread, will likely also help with noobie overuse-of-back brake habits.

The small control delay shouldnt matter on the left, as youre reaching for the clutch then anyway. And on the right, split second response times arent really what the back brake is about anyway.

And Brmmm be careful with adjustments, my mechanic said it shouldn't go all the way down for risk of snapping it off in a deep corner. (This amused me muchly, he clearly hasnt seen the current state of my "deep corner" har har) EDIT: This last bit may be a CB400 specific comment...
  10. Heh, I threw out back brake usage for anything other than friction when going at a crawl, or "oh f#%k!" both-brake stops, about half a second after I completed my learners course! That thing is useless for stopping you by itself.

If you're comfortable, and it doesn't impact on your safety, go with whatever works for you. :)

Your mechanic may be right but yes it'd depend on your ride style, the bike, and the camber of the corner I guess.
  11. Gday curlsaugogo, I've also got a CB400. When I do my serious riding, I wear my Axo Primato II boots. Being 6 foot 5 I've got fairly large feet so I find it most comfortable to have the pegs rest in front of my heels which settles in nicely in front of the heels of my boots for a nice planted feeling. I have my feet turned outwards slightly to keep them off the clutch or rear brake and simply bring them in when its time to use them. It also keeps the rear of my boots away from the exhaust although that was mainly with the stock exhaust, my new Staintune exhaust doesn't get as hot as the old one and doesn't need or use the heatshield thats bolted on behind the pegs.

Its really all down to whats most comfortable to you. Everyone has different shapes of feet and legs, there isn't any one ideal position apart from being able to access the controls in a timely manner when needed and ideally in a position where you won't be resting on them just incase you hit a bump or whatever.
  12. Souds like a few of you blokes, don't really corner all that hard, so can get away with limited foot clearance.
    Fair enough...just watch out if you get the bike leaned over a bit more aggressively, as you will drag a boot - dangerous if you hit a "yump" mid corner, or a cats eye or some such thing.
    Make sure that you at least keep your toes up, and not hanging down from the heel of your boot on the peg.

Experienced riders will have developed their own style to a certain degree, but it will almost always be - inside foot on the ball, outside foot on the arch, while cornering.
    It is especially important for non-sportsbike riders, that the inside foot be on the ball, due to the reduced ground clearance of the pegs.

Just FYI...

So try not to lose a foot ( which can occur quite easily around the suburbs, by getting to close to gutters, when street turning.
  13. Back when I had the spada, it had relatively low pegs, and with effort you could get the sole of your foot flat on the ground on a straight stretch of road. So in corners always had my balls on the footpegs. The first time the peg touched down it was a bit of a shock, not to bad. What was bad is that my foot got ripped way backwards off the peg and my leg followed, put me off badly for the rest of the corner and almost threw me off the bike. Learnt to keep my toes IN as well as far back as possible.

raven, what is a yump?
  14. A yump is a depression in the road, which causes your suspension to extend initially, and then compress, when you go over it. (reducing your ground clearance, by suspension compression)

The opposite to a bump. (which is a high-spot in the road, causing your suspension to compress, first)

Bumps are usually a bit abrupt, and jarring.
    Yumps are usually softer, but want to kick the back of the bike up at you.

Know what I mean, Lilley? (I'm having trouble explaining it)

15. on long cruisey roads, i like to use my passenger foot pegs... but this is only when there are very few areas around me on long straight freeways and high ways

other than that, balls of feet all other times, and arch in traffic
  16. when I was younger (and an idiot) I used to ride in skate shoes and some old jeans, always duck footed. The first time I scraped the pegs on my GN250 I nearly had brown trousers, I just went too quick for my skill level into a sharp RH corner (but didn't stack, ran a lot wide though). The next time I scraped anything it was my foot and ankle on the gutter turning too tight into my street - I bought some boots after that one (still not motorcycle boots though, 14 hole docs ](*,)). I have proper gear now and am much more aware of how close to the ground my toes can be in a corner, and ride balls of the feet except in heavy traffic.

I'm glad (and probably lucky) to still have all my skin and both my feet after all the stupidity and squidliness of my learner years.
  17. There's a back brake?!?!?!?!?
  18. Only on LAMS bikes, Lukey!