Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

resistors and reusing them

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by spongesam, May 17, 2006.

1. ok, so i finally went and bought a desolder pump... and spent this afternoon pulling off capacitors and other random things from 1 of the many PC power supplies i've cracked open (originally for the cables).

Anyhoo... there's a miriad of resistors on these babys... can i just get them off it, and use them for something else?

(in particular, i'm thinking of making my blinkers blink slowly like they should with a resistor somewhere in there)

i'm just discovering this de-solder thing... watch out computers... i'm coming for you!

2. Unless the circuits been massively blown up, resistors are pretty indestructibly.

I've reused em' before, no worries.

If your planning something major, do the standard test for any electrical component.
    Take 1 multimeter/Ammeter. Test current flow in component. Any reading= Component works perfectly.

Desolder pump? All the one's I've used of those before really sucked (Unintentional Pun :p ). I found the wire gauze, you can use to strip solder really great. Desolder pump's reusable I guess, but the gauze does a much better job, easier.

Interesting idea, modifying your blinkers. It's the little things that can be annoying. Keep us clued in on how you go.

3. yeah, the desolder pump take a little getting used to... was going to get the wire, but could only choose one...

for my random test out a million things use, the pump was the cost effective alternative...

i got one from dicksmiths... "heavy duty" or something... it kinda sucked (ie: didn't) but the more i used it it came pretty quick...

oh jeez, that was a bad paragraph...

gonna go checkout my resistors now... obviously they should show a decent amount of resistance :) (depending on colour coding of course)

4. FYI the desolder pump (or solder sucker) is supposed to be used to remove large amounts of solder. Where as the solder wick is used for fine cleanup jobs in preparation for re-inserting & soldering another component.

Unless you have an electronic blinker module, putting any value resistor in the circuit will do nothing for the flash rate. Worse case you will smoke the resistor, blow a fuse or limit the voltage actually getting to the lamps

5. hmmmmm see everyone has been saying "if they're a bit quick u might just need a resistor in there somewhere... my indicators are zzr indicators... (i think) on a gpx... what would u recommend be done?

6. the resistor will go inline with the lamp, and a 10W lamp will require at least a similar rated resistor unless you decrease resistance value a lot so voltage drop over it is neglible (ie it approaches a wire and therefore doesn't do what you want it to) - still has to handle same current though.

5W and 10W wirewound resistors are common and cheap at electronics places.

7. TOTALLY WRONG

When you see someone has added a resistor with their LED lights, they actually added it in parallel with the LED circuit. The reason for not putting it in series with the circuit is that:

A. if the current rating of the resistor cannot handle the current drawn by the circuit, you will smoke the resistor.

B. There is a basic formula (voltage = current times resistance) that, in a nutshell means that if you have a 12v battery and a 12v lamp, you get full 12v at the lamp. If you add a resistor (any value) you are limiting the current available for the lamp, which is undesirable because we wouldn't have full brilliance.

Play around with some figures and the formula and you will see what I mean

Another thought.....If you wish to use LED's to save power, the requirement to add a high wattage resistor kind of negates this as the resistor would draw the same amount of current as the original globe.

The only real reasons that someone would want to add LED's is that they look cool, and they come to full brilliance much quicker than incandescent lamps.

8. maybe i coudl add a different flasher can???

way it kinda looks to me
    the light will flash due to the build up of voltage in the capacitor, the release of it causes the flash...

if there is not much resistance...
    then the capacitor is charging and releasing fast...
    eg:
    Tc (time release of capacitor) = resistance x capacitance

so... i could increase the capacitance or the resistance...

increasing the resistance would mean it takes longer to "charge" up the capacitor...
    and same goes if i increase the capacitor size...

although, with a higher capacitance capacitor, would that mean that would be a brighter flash? (risking blowing bulb etc?)

9. They also last much, much longer and produce much less heat. They are also easier to see in the daylight. That's the main reason alot of traffic lights are switching over to LED, along with new cars.

10. Just use a multimeter and measure the resistance,make sure at least 1 lead of the resistor in question is desoldered and not in the board,otherwise if its in parallel with something else you will get a false reading.

11. How slow do you want them to go?

My GPX doesn't blink very fast... well no faster than an old car...

12. mine blink about as fast as when you lose a globe in your car... pretty fast...

they're not standard GPX indicators... they're zzr ones i think maybe?

13. also must note... these ARE NOT led's.

14. Crazy, I would think they would be pretty similar only moulds etc should've been differnet, but hey I've never had a ZZR...

Check your flasher can to make sure thats stock and check the blubs are the stock ones too i guess...

15. If you're trying to use those little tan resistors with the stripes on them forget it. they're worth 10c each anyway and they would pop unless you had ten of them in parallel with your globe.

the ones you need are in a square casing, worth ~$1 each, you'll need 4.
    $4 is cheaper than however much time spent recovering the resistors.

16. they're GPX indicators sponge, just cheap and cheerful ones . ZZR indicators wouldn't fit as they're kinda moulded into the faring.

you could try changing the globes, that should be where the difference is. (dont spend any money to test it tho, just grab the rear left and stick it in the right front, if the right blinks slow then you know what the prob is)

17. Here is a site that can disspell some misconceptions about most things electrical / electronic.

http://www.the12volt.com/

18. Hi Spongesam,

It sounds like your blinker system is faulty. I would try faulting down the
    problem rather than modifying it to compensate for a fault.

It could be something silly like a bad earth from your blinker unit or
    lamps etc. Reseating the connections off all electronic components
    and wiring related to the blinker system could fix this problem.

From your orginal question--- yes, you can solder and desolder resistors
    quite alot of times. The fitment life of a electronic component is normally
    specified in total soldering time (in seconds) in the datasheet describing the
    product. For most semiconductors, this is 20 seconds (so, when you solder
    it, that is 5 seconds, you desolder it, it's now 10 seconds.. solder it again,
    it's 15 seconds etc.. and when you get past 20 seconds, the component
    is said to be dodgy). In your case however, it won't apply..

The resistors you are pulling out of your power supplies are probably 0.25 Watt
    and 0.5 Watt. There suitability will depend on the voltage and current applied
    to them... again, I don't know you're circuit of your bike, so I can't comment.

There was a thread I replied to a few months ago. Somebody posted a description
    of their circuit and I did some basic calcs to work out what resister they needed.
    (This was for series operation).

anyway... again, try fixing the problem first. Having failed that, then try hacking
    it. Note: wreckers are your friend ;)

19. Just find an electronic flasher rather than the cheaper one's. They don't depend on the amount of load to determine the flash rate.

As for salvaging resistors & capacitors, considering they cost less than $0.10 each it's hardly worth it but I would familiarise myself with the color code.

I'd let you know the little rhyme I use to remember it but it would be considered very racist/sexist and in plain bad taste to air publicly.